“Not My Typical Experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Downtown/Town Lake

Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Downtown/Town Lake
Ranked #64 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Washington
“Not My Typical Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I just returned from a business trip to Austin, staying for three nights at this location. We purposely booked at the Embassy Suites because of the ability to configure sleeping arrangements for three adults who wanted separate beds. As someone who has stayed in many Embassy Suites hotels across the country, I have come to know the brand including what to expect in the way of beds. I was surprised and disappointed to find that the pull-out sofa was not the traditional type, but instead a set of stacked drawers that pulled out to form the bed. Each contained a very thin mattress of no more than three inches, with gaps between so that a person sleeping on it would not be fully supported. This appeared to be a room that had been "refreshed", so I am left to think that the typical hide-a-bed that I have known for years was changed to this new design. While the design might work great for children or young adults, it was NOT an appropriate sleeping space for a full size adult. I was embarrassed to ask one of my staff members to sleep on this! (Plus, there was no bedding without calling housekeeping.) We requested a roll-away and were told they were no longer available. Finally, we were given a small studio for the night, with the direction to solve it with the manager the next morning. I did speak with the manager and her comment was that about 50% of the guests liked the new mattress. While I said nothing, it struck me that if all businesses were willing to settle for 50% customer satisfaction they would likely go out of business in a short time! To her credit, she offered us the extra room at a discount for the duration of the stay. SO-beware! If you are traveling with adults who are expecting to sleep on the pull-out sofa it is likely (apparently a 50/50 chance) that they will find the bed intolerable. With kids, go for it. The mattress is similar to a thick pad for camping with a nicer cover and should be just fine for little ones. I suggested that they provide either a picture or a more clear description of the mattress in their online room details, but know that it's not likely to happen. Had I known in advance, I would have made a different lodging arrangement for my group and this Embassy Suite location would have been spared a dissatisfied customer.

Other comments specific to this Embassy Suites: staff was friendly and helpful, especially the shuttle drivers! Location cannot be beat. Breakfast and happy hour offerings were great and really appreciated by my team. Housekeeping in my room was inconsistent over the three days, but generally ok. Overall, I would say that this was definitely not my typical experience when staying at an Embassy Suites or any other Hilton brand hotel. It was OK, but I have come to expect more and was truly disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Duncanville, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Should have started with this location. We were just passing through and made the mistake of booking at the other Embassy in Austin. Called and they said come on over and we are so glad we did. We had the pool and hot tub to ourselves, needed towels at the pool delivered in minutes. Front desk easy and friendly but parking is a pain. I should have used the Valet, next time I will.Not the fanciest hotel but it was clean. Go see the bats way cool and eat at one of our favorites, The Magnolia Cafe ,granddaughter says they make the best grilled cheese in the world (she should know that is about all she usually will eat).We also enjoyed the Easy Tiger Beer Garden, try the Hill Country board the Wild Boar was yum.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you want easy access to South Congress, short walk to the park and capitol area this is a great spot. I love their indoor pool and over sized rooms. It was a rare occasion to get rain so we ended up eating in the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging the waiter was and how good the burgers are.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Henryetta, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel is not new, but very well maintained. It was clean, quiet and the staff was very helpful. The location was was ideal. Its a short walk to donwtown/6th street. Go south down Congress to the eclectic favorites like Home Slice Pizza and Wahoo Fish Tacos. I used the vallet parking for $25, which i recommend. They are rennovating and have finnished floors 6-9 and are working their way down, so I recommend and upper floor facing the city. The breakfast was good as usual, but before they dont have the buffet ready before 8:00 and the made to order line can get a little long around 7:30 so go early.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing downtown.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is one of our favorite hotels to stay at when we come in town for Athletic events at University of Texas. The staff are beyond friendly and helpful. The cooked to order breakfast chef and his assistant have been there for a long time and they serve the food at a quick pace. The hotels location is perfect for a trip to Zilker Park or to walk to the Bat Bridge at dusk. The only complaint is the fee for parking that other Embassy Suites in the Austin area do not charge for .

• Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has been remodeled to the new embassy suites rooms, which were great. Lots of room in the suite and modern fixtures. The room was clean and ready when promised. I ended up sleeping in the pull out bed in the main room. Like any pull out bed, it was not comfortable at all, and not necessarily an Embassy fault.

The only complaint I had was that due to the hotel having an atrium with all of the rooms attached, it was easy to hear everything going on, from breakfast in the morning to people coming in during the middle of the night talking loud. From the main bedroom of the suite you couldn't hear this luckily, only from the front room.

The free breakfast was great, and the location was fantastic. 2 minutes from downtown and close to Lake Austin as well. If you are ok with a pull out bed, this is a perfect place for families. Would defiantly return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Commerce, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

You couldn't ask for better customer service! It really didn't matter who it was, every employee was helpful. We walked from the hotel to the bridge to watch the bats. I think the hotel rooms could use a little freshening up but overall we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family