“Work stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #138 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Silsbee, Texas, United States
“Work stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

When I am in Austin for work or pleasure I always try to stay here. They serve a great complimentary breakfast and the Manager has a social hour most evenings. The rooms
Are large and roomy...it is like being at home, but better.

Room Tip: I love the first floor because of the balcony. The grounds are very well kept and they Have a grea...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Lawrence S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The staff and manager were very rude to me and my wife. Everything in the rooms are very old and dated. There are bugs crawling around, water leaking from ceiling. The manager is realy bad. We will never stay at this place again.

Room Tip: look for another Hotel
1 Thank John B
owsuites, Public Relations Manager at Orangewood Suites, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear John B,

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during you stay and hope to see you during you next visit to Austin.

A. Norris

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I stayed at Orangewood Suites on 04 May 2012 and 05 May 2012 then checked out mid-morning 06 May 2012. I was in Austin for a wedding and wanted to stay in the same location as my friends who were in the wedding party. This worked out perfectly for all as all age ranges were in the wedding party. The location was extremely easy to find. It had great freeway access . This was a plus as there were some wedding-related tasks to do. The price was very reasonable. Room was clean and well attended to each day. Having a kitchen was great! It allowed for fresh snacks, light lunch fare, and everyone's favorite beverages to be available. Regular meals could have been prepared as it had a full-sized range, dishwasher, and a microwave. Being pet friendly was definitely a plus for some of the wedding party guests. Good news if you need to find a place that allows pets. (Of course, the pets were crated when guests were not in the room, which is more than reasonable.) The free breakfast buffet was very good. Buffet area looked out over the pool, which is always nice. Pool was a nice size and appeared to be very well kept. There was a grill near the pool for quests to use, I assume. Seemed like a nice touch. The staff were friendly and pleasant. I didn't notice any unusual Cinco de Mayo noise, unlike what some others indicate they experienced. Honestly, I expected some fiesta-type noise (after all, it was Cinco de Mayo weekend!) but didn't notice anything too loud or prolonged. I found my suite very quiet and comfortable. My overall experience was very positive. I would recommend Orangewood Suites to any who want reasonably priced accommodations with full kitchen and easy access to many of Austin's attractions. My thanks to the staff for making my experience very pleasant.

Room Tip: Pet friendly but bring crate. Laundry room is present, if needed.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank vjs972
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Hotel was OK, close to Austin downtown , Round Rock , Arboretum area, The Domain. So it work out for us. Room was spacious with a divider for living room , bedroom. Not really clean but enough to make you comfortable, quiet, nice parking lot. Exit on I 35 and 138 so easy access around Austin.
Staff is not that friendly we had to wait for our room to be done even if the check in is at 3.00 PM.
One problem, major for my wife was very low pressure shower, I mean low pressure it will take you a long time to take a shower 30min +. I can take baths which work out for me :).

4 Thank harangus
owsuites, Public Relations Manager at Orangewood Suites, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Harangus,

Please allow me to extend an apology on behalf of the entire Orangewood Suites team. We pride ourselves on the product and service found at our facility. We thank you for your feedback and we have addressed these issues with our staff. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,
A Norris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed at Orangewood suites while we were waiting to close on my house. I searched around and found this hotel to be a suitable place for us. It had good reviews on trip advisor, yelp, took pets, free Wi-Fi, hot breakfast, dinner/ happy hour and it was close to our jobs. We initially went to look at the hotel prior to us booking a stay. At first glance you can tell it is an older establishment and a little dated.

We were interested in staying in the 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom loft which included a full kitchen and patio or balcony depending on what floor you were on. The room had been updated with a nice 42" flat screen TV downstairs, but the upstairs TV had not been updated. This was an issue for me because the older TV did not have any RCA cable connections!! So if any gamers are reading this, you can imagine my devastation. How can I play my Xbox without any RCA hook ups?!?!? Luckily I was able to bring my TV from storage and tragedy was averted.

The first couple of days here was okay, no issues no problems until BAM! I would say on our third day here we started to see roaches.....eek! We didn't complain though, we just went bought Raid sprayed the room and tried to look past it. We continue with our lives and everything is roses and lollipops until the weekend comes. I don't know if our upstairs neighbors were having a Cinco de Mayo party or watching the Mayweather fight but they were LOUD. They partied until the wee hours of the morning (5am) and we got NO sleep!! At this point I'm counting down the days until my closing so we can get out of this place. On Monday May 7th, I was in my bed watching TV and surfing the internet when I saw something crawling on my bed. I quickly sprang into action and grabbed a tissue from the bathroom to kill it. After grabbing the bug I looked at the tissue to see what creature dared to crawl on my bed. When I saw what it was I nearly flipped my lid.....a BED BUG. I closely examined the bug and used the power of Google to compare it to pictures of bed bugs and it was a match. We promptly went to the office to let them know. The lady I talked to (an older Hispanic lady) was less than helpful. I showed her the bug and she adamantly denied it was a bed bug. She told me that the hotel had brand new mattresses and pretty much that I was crazy. I showed her red marks and bumps on my arms from where I had been bitten. I had been itching like crazy and had bite marks on my body, but I didn't put two and two together until I found the bug. She promptly told me that those weren't from bed bugs because I would have lots more. After all, she boasts that the hotel staff members had training on bed bugs, so she knows what I showed her was NOT a bed bug. I'm told that she would report the incident to her manager (doubt that ever happened.) She offered to move us into another room, but that would have been more of a hassle. We were going to be checking out that Thursday so I decided to just suck it up. Things were fine and dandy until Thursday morning, May 10th, around 2am. I wake up because I have this crawling sensation on my skin. I turn on the light, check my covers....nothing there. I turn back to look at my pillow and there are 3 BED BUGS crawling on the pillow. I grabbed an empty water bottle from the night stand and scoop the little suckers up! I stripped all the sheets and mattress cover off the bed and start frantically searching my mattress for more bugs. I wasn't able to find anymore, but did manage to kill some roaches in the process. I didn’t even bother reporting this last incident to the office because we were checking out that morning and I didn’t feel like wasting my breath on staff that doesn’t listen. I hope they get the room we stayed in cleaned by a professional and the Health department is notified about the issue.

So to shorten my novel, would I recommend Orangewood Suites? NO I would not. The perks were good and it was nice having a short commute to work but for the money you could find a better extended stay.

PROS: Good breakfast/dinner selection, free Wi-Fi, very friendly kitchen staff
CONS: Roaches, bed bugs, loud guests

6 Thank Melanie J
Dear Melanie J,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased that we could provide accommodations for your family and pets so close to home.

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you encountered. We strive to keep our hotel clean and pest free. With all due respect it is next to impossible to control what pets may bring in from outdoors and as a pet friendly hotel we take this issue seriously. We make it our first priority to have each room treated and inspected before we allow it to be re-rented. Unfortunately, we are not able to do the extensive deep cleaning treatment required to assure each room is pest free if guests are still present in the room. I assure you that our housekeeping department takes great pride in there job. Once the room is completed we then have it double checked by our housekeeping supervising manager to assure that each room is great for our guest arrival. We have found this procedure to be most helpful in insuring the best possible results.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this incident may have caused you, and we wish you much success in your new home.

Best Regards,
Mont Belvieu, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed here two nights with my wife for our kid's volleyball tournament and felt that Orangewood Suites is a pretty good deal. The price was good and the suites have a kitchen with fridge and microwave. The bathroom is a little small, but it will meet your needs. The bed was great and I slept wonderfully. The flat screen TV is mounted on the wall and swings so you can watch it in bed or on the sofa.
This place is right across the streets from the Doubletree and a little hidden, so you'll feel secure. The staff will help you with any need you have.

1 Thank Emale73
Dear Emale 73,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete this review regarding your recent stay at our hotel

Again, Thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me.

Safe travels and best regards,
Public Relations
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Orangewood is a great place to stay if you don't have the budget for Downtown. Overall the staff were helpful, some maybe a little laid back. Giselle was a superstar, she went out of her way to make me feel welcome and went beyond her duties to help me out.

The rooms are clean and a nice size, quiet - even in the middle of SXSW.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo