“Good location, great view of downtown Austin”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #18 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Good location, great view of downtown Austin”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Just across Lady Bird lake with view of Downtown Austin. Had two rooms and stayed two nights - very comfortable rooms. Were surprised to have a very good dinner at the restaurant the first night. We came in late from a long day on the road and didn't want to venture out to downtown. Were very pleasantly surprised with the excellent quality of the food and the service also. Got to hear the story of the Congress Bridge where people go each night to see the bats come out at sunset. Good Lobby Bar and a Starbucks onsite. Only surprise was $16/night charge for parking.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 808AlwaysSunny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2012

First of all (I hate complaints, to each his own, not this trip) All of my wedding party stayed at an near by hotel (Omni southpark) for about $80.00 dollars less then I paid. I pick this hotel because the staff at the Hyatt are Compassionate, good southern hospitality.. I wanted a hotel away from all the craziness the night before my wedding so I could unwind, relax and get a great nights rest.. I spent many months picking out the perfect hotel for myself, family and friends. I didn't find my perfect hotel until the week before. When I found the Hyatt on Barton Springs road in Austin, Tx I felt like I found "the hotel" oh was I wrong! The night before my wedding I checked in my room at 2pm the hotel put me on the 15 floor room 1504 (I believe) I went to bed at 10:45 to wake up to a noise of vacuums around midnight, that wasn't so bad. At 1:30am until 4:45am I woke up to young adult KIDS acting NUTS, CRAZY!! The crazy party started running down the hallway ringing all the doorbells waking everyone up! Yes, you have very nice door bells on your door to be used appropriately.. I called security for help 4 times!!! It wasn't until 2:50 when I saw the first security guard (yell) as if there wasn't enough noise Already! The security guard never kicked any of the the bad adult kids out! As a matter fact the continued on after the security guard went back downstairs. The adult kids stood in front of our rooms looking over the ledge watching their friends act crazy, it was like sitting in a room with 500 four year olds. I open my door and ask the adult kids to PLEASE move out from in front on my room and go away, I couldn't believe the security guard never got rid of this major issue.. I had to call security 3 more times on the 7 call the young lady who answered my call and said they were working on it, they had many calls about this very issue.. Needless to say the next morning the Hyatt staff gave me my night on the house & offered me breakfast.. My wedding day was the longest day ever, concealer makeup couldn't cover my bags under my eyes enough:( this message for each person staying the night, respect your neighbor rooms & thanks for the unforgettable night to that other crazy group!

Room Tip: Food no variety we don't all eat pork. More people are trying to healthy such as turkey, chicken...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank M B
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for your recent review, MB. We are very sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hyatt, we always aim to ensure every guest feels valued and respected; especially when it comes to our brides! We apologize for any inconvenience that the noisy guests may have caused you. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance next time you're in town.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A breeze from the start! Early check in. Room as requested . Comfortable clean rooms. Low noise level. The best way to describe this hotel is SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE. Our included breakfast buffet was great. Every staff member was willing and ready to be of assistance. A refreshing way to go about your day. Management at this location, well done. The hotel was close to 6th and Congress. Two fun areas to visit. We didn't feel the 30 extra dollars a day upgrade fee to look at water was worth it. The only reasons I gave 4 stars was the bathrooms were outdated. Part of the business I know, but still yet , dated. Would return for a stay in a heart beat. Thank you. Major props to SWB staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: HIgh floor away from elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Hello Roger & Virginia! Thank you so much for your pleasant review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We always strive to impress our guests with our customer service and seeing reviews like this always gives us a warm feeling. If you enjoyed Southwest Bistro's service, please don't hesitate to write a review for them as well. Have a great day and we look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The Hyatt Regency is situated in the ideal location- overlooking Lady Bird Lake, right next to the aptly named Bat Bridge, and nearby the popular South Congress and 6th streets. Also, if you chose to use public transportation to and/or from the airport, the city bus stops directly across the street and costs only a dollar. The trip couldn't be more simple and convenient.

As far as the rooms, they are comfortable, clean and modern. The only downfall is there is no fan in the bathroom. However, the window treatments are a nice touch because they block the sun completely to allow for a sound sleep.

The hotel food was great! During our stay, the deal we acquired included free breakfast for two every morning. Guests can choose from a breakfast buffet or sit down meal and service was impeccable.

Mentioning service, customer service was prompt and courteous. Everyone who worked here had a smile on their face and was eager to provide assistance.

We will definitely plan on staying at the Hyatt Regency on our next visit to Austin!

• Stayed July 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 July 2012

PHONE COMMUNICATION: We wanted a day room (for a road trip, no overnight stay). We wanted to rent a boat and spend some time on LBL. We wanted to visit the State Capital. We wanted to go to Barton Springs Pool and Zilker Park. Everything zoomed to Hyatt Regency Town Lake to be the best location. So I called to inquire about the day reservation (let make it clear that it isn't about a request to check in early) before reserving a room. My lucky first call, through Daniel (???I think his name)I got an approval from the front desk manager for the day booking. Since I book most of my hotels (the 4.5 and 5 stars hotel) through Whatahotel, I was told to call back after booking and be sure to get someone to put a note on my reservation about the day room and who approved it. When calling back about 5 days later, I was repeatedly denied the day notation, stating that early check in is only a request and based on availability. When being transferred to that frontdesk manager Rachel, she immediately denied ever approving such reservation and said she can put in a request but can't promise to honor it. After some explanation back and forth and a lecture from her about house keeping doesn't start their shift until 8:00am, she repeated herself again:"I wouldn't have approved that, but it is ok, it doesn't matter, I am going to approve it and detail the information in here" . I asked if I can eat breakfast that morning (my reservation through whatahotel came with breakfast) since I won't be staying overnight and she said yes.

THE HOTEL: Conveniently located at corner of S. Congress and Barton Springs. The back of the hotel faces the lake and the view is breath taking. The building looked depressing from outside. However, it looked much better inside. There are snack/coffee shop at the front, a bar in the middle of the lobby and a sushi bar next to it. It looked a bit like Embassy suite inside, however: Balcony over the atrium. Escalator in the middle taking you to the second floor where the Vista restaurant is.

CHECK IN: I was denied checking in early when attempted to do so at 9:15am. They said no room is available since check in time is 4:00pm. I told them to "read the note". After 10 min of reading, I was given a room. I asked about eating breakfast, more readings, then she said, it came with your room, so just charge it to your room. I asked about the drink vouchers, more readings, then she handed me 2.

THE ROOM: We didn't get to our room until 3:30pm after doing other activities. The room was surprisingly clean and nicely decorated. The color blended well. The bed is clean and firm. The bathroom looked clean. We had the lake view room so it was amazing. Room size was small. The carper around the desk was soaking wet. We took a bath, changed and were ready to leave.

CHECK OUT: I checked in at 9:15 and checked out at 4:45pm. I was handed a statement with all of the breakfast in it, plus the extra gratuity from the breakfast beside the total I gave. I told them my breakfast was included. Readings, more readings. Then the bill was adjusted.

OVERALL: Having stayed at hotels as New York Palace, Waldorf Astoria, Four Seasons, Sofitel..., I was amazed at the level of communication, professionalism and service this hotel provided. That aside, I believe it is a well kept, clean property at an amazingly great location. I would rate it 3.5 STARS had I given that option. Between 3 and 4, I would have to go with 3 since it was certainly not a four star experience.

Room Tip: LAKE VIEW is better. Higher floor have less noise from atrium.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tnghi121
london
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I took a room on the top floor with a balcony. Hotel staff were friendly. Room service was good, although I don't like all the add on's ie: delivery charge plus tax PLUS gratuity fee 20%! Of course, you still feel the need to tip on top of this. Bottled water in the room was $3 a go. Free at other places. Wi-Fi was a decent speed although $10 a day!!! Wi-fi should be FREE!!! Room was really nice. Would have been even better had the cleaners done a better job of the balcony. First day it was ignored totally, second day someone had been out there, as the ashtray had been emptied, but all the cobwebs were still there. However...would still go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The service and quality are about what you would expect for the brand. This hotel falls short on a few things like not having refrigerators in guest rooms. The staff was vacuuming the lobby well after midnight and because the hotel is atrium style I could hear the vacuum clearly in my room on the 14th floor. The location isn't bad but this is NOT a downtown hotel and should not be advertised as such. There are much nicer hotels with better locations that charge less in Austin. Where they have really crossed the line from rational to ridiculous is charging $14/day for self parking in an uncovered surface lot. I will happily pay to park in a garage..but not to let my car bake in the sun on a 100 degree day and get covered in bird droppings. If this were actually a downtown hotel they could get away with charging for parking. Overall I felt like this hotel was a bad value and I would not recommend it unless you have no other options.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends