“Location is great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Location is great”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I book at the Hyatt here when the Saint Cecilia and San Jose are booked. While I tend to prefer those kind of boutique hotels, the Hyatt is a great fallback. The location is super convenient on Barton Springs and Congress, so you can walk to SoCo or to the Warehouse District and Downtown. You're also right on the running path that goes along Town Lake, which is nice.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. Parking is surprisingly easy.

Definitely a good option, and my preferred one among the bigger hotels in Austin.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have a better view (and you get to ride the elevators that face into the hotel).
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank trixiechanson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This hotel sits on the shore of the lady bird lake in downtown Houston which is nice. I stayed here one night and there is a fee of 14.00 for self-parking and 21.00 for valet parking. This hotel is close by all of downtown attractions so you may take a taxi or walk if you enjoy walking. The hotel guest service representatives are nice and welcoming. The room was nice but a bit aged as in the door of the bathroom was old and may need to be replaced. I stayed in the King Bed guestroom with a roll away bed included. The room was clean but the air condition temperature wasn't steady. On a city tourist note, be prepared to have holds placed on your credit cards when bar hopping or going to clubs or lounges; especially if you are on a budget because the holds can tie on funds that may not be available to you until 5-10 business days. I would advise you to use cash for venues of this sort. Overall the room one night stay did it's job and that's all that really matters. I would stay here again if I had to.

Room Tip: When making a reservation, please enter special requests that may help you to have a comfortable sta...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 7RED_29
Fort Meade, FL
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We signed up for a bat-watching cruise and the cruise captains highly recommended going to the bar and getting a drink until they were ready to board us. They enticed us in the sweltering heat by the wonderful airconditioning inside. First, the bartenders ignored us, but when they finally acknowledged us, we ordered two local beers and the bill was $12! My goodness! We bought 8 craft beers at the grocery store for less than that!

Highly inflated prices! Buyer Beware!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I spent three weeks in the USA in July 2012, flying in and out of Houston. I had booked nearly everything in advance, but, although I had researched hotels for our final three nights, in the rush beforehand, I hadn't got round to booking anything and for the first 2.5 weeks we were too busy having a great time to think about the last couple of hotels.

So, we booked this hotel only about 36 hours before our arrival there and while I was doing so, my computer crashed which meant that I was unable to request (at a reduced price) a room with a view of the Town Lake and downtown Austin.

On our arrival, we were shown to a very nice room on the 8th floor overlooking a nearby hotel and the carpark. I mentioned to the bell boy that I had hoped to be able to upgrade and he immediately encouraged me to call the Front Desk.(I only wish I could recall his name) and he also said that the rooms with patios were really nice. (I had 'rejected' the idea of a 'shared patio', as I feared that I could find we were sharing with smokers). Anyhow, after a bit of discussion, front desk offered us a room with a view and a patio for an extra $25 (plus tax) per night, which we accepted. This was fantastic; the room was on the end of the row, on the 3rd floor, overlooking the lovely landscaped pool, the Town lake and Downtown Austin. We loved it and would return there on a future visit if the price were right! The 'shared' patio was a bit of a misnoma, as there was a low hedge between us and the next patio, but we could have accessed that patio. There was noone in the next room, so we were able to make the most of the extra space on our patio for ourselves. On our last morning a construction workers' conference was beginning and there were men smoking on a nearby patio, but, as we packing up in our room, this didn't trouble us.

This hotel had all the advantages of being close to downtown (we walked everywhere), but, at the same time, had the parking advantages of a motel - ie no underground parking and the option to self park with ease. We didn't eat any meals there (breakfast wasn't included in our room rate), but the front desk service was second to none. The pool was fantastic with the water being a lovely temperature - ie not too cold! We stayed for only two nights but wishes we could have stayed longer. The room cost more than any others on our trip, but it was well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a town view and a patio.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Bedford, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We had a great time on our stay. The package deal was a great- free breakfast and one night free with our stay. The ENTIRE staff was wonderful. We were treated like royalty. The location can't be beat either. Just walk out the back door and you can catch the Bat Tour boats and/or other "boating" activities. The free movie night was an extra bonus and my son loved it- Cars 2! The food was very good at the Southwestern Bistro, as well. The 16th floor rooms looking over the water is unbelieveable. Beautiful! Kudos to the entire staff for making our trip extra special!

Room Tip: 16th floor overlooking the water and downtown Austin. Views are beaufitul!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ReginaBBedford_Texas
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Just across Lady Bird lake with view of Downtown Austin. Had two rooms and stayed two nights - very comfortable rooms. Were surprised to have a very good dinner at the restaurant the first night. We came in late from a long day on the road and didn't want to venture out to downtown. Were very pleasantly surprised with the excellent quality of the food and the service also. Got to hear the story of the Congress Bridge where people go each night to see the bats come out at sunset. Good Lobby Bar and a Starbucks onsite. Only surprise was $16/night charge for parking.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 808AlwaysSunny
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2012

First of all (I hate complaints, to each his own, not this trip) All of my wedding party stayed at an near by hotel (Omni southpark) for about $80.00 dollars less then I paid. I pick this hotel because the staff at the Hyatt are Compassionate, good southern hospitality.. I wanted a hotel away from all the craziness the night before my wedding so I could unwind, relax and get a great nights rest.. I spent many months picking out the perfect hotel for myself, family and friends. I didn't find my perfect hotel until the week before. When I found the Hyatt on Barton Springs road in Austin, Tx I felt like I found "the hotel" oh was I wrong! The night before my wedding I checked in my room at 2pm the hotel put me on the 15 floor room 1504 (I believe) I went to bed at 10:45 to wake up to a noise of vacuums around midnight, that wasn't so bad. At 1:30am until 4:45am I woke up to young adult KIDS acting NUTS, CRAZY!! The crazy party started running down the hallway ringing all the doorbells waking everyone up! Yes, you have very nice door bells on your door to be used appropriately.. I called security for help 4 times!!! It wasn't until 2:50 when I saw the first security guard (yell) as if there wasn't enough noise Already! The security guard never kicked any of the the bad adult kids out! As a matter fact the continued on after the security guard went back downstairs. The adult kids stood in front of our rooms looking over the ledge watching their friends act crazy, it was like sitting in a room with 500 four year olds. I open my door and ask the adult kids to PLEASE move out from in front on my room and go away, I couldn't believe the security guard never got rid of this major issue.. I had to call security 3 more times on the 7 call the young lady who answered my call and said they were working on it, they had many calls about this very issue.. Needless to say the next morning the Hyatt staff gave me my night on the house & offered me breakfast.. My wedding day was the longest day ever, concealer makeup couldn't cover my bags under my eyes enough:( this message for each person staying the night, respect your neighbor rooms & thanks for the unforgettable night to that other crazy group!

Room Tip: Food no variety we don't all eat pork. More people are trying to healthy such as turkey, chicken...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank M B
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for your recent review, MB. We are very sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hyatt, we always aim to ensure every guest feels valued and respected; especially when it comes to our brides! We apologize for any inconvenience that the noisy guests may have caused you. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance next time you're in town.