“Hyatt Fanboy - Loved the place....”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #16 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Location - Right on the river and just an amazing review of the skyline.

Facilities - Most of the lobby and such are dated. You can see that they are renovating a huge section of the hotel and have already added in a massive parking deck and are working on the convention center (according to the Bellhop).

Rooms - Had a suite. Great space. Great beds as per usual. TV's still not in HD and that is just stupid.

Staff- I am a 30 something and when I asked for a beer bar the super nice young lady behind the bar listed me 2 places that locals go to (college crowd) and 2 places that were more mild. She answered me honestly everything I asked. A+ service.

Food - Great food and the buffet had a guy to make fresh omelets in the AM - always a plus. Worked in my room for a full 2 days so in room dining was super cheap compared to the Gaylord Dining (where I was before this trip).

Would come back for sure. But looking forward for them updating the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the River view if they will give it. Or ask for the gold course view if the river is fille...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Papatoole
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Hey there Hyatt fanboy! We're so glad to hear about your experience and happy you got the chance to experience our dining options too! We hope to see you here again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Austin

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The 400+ room Hyatt Regency is located between center city Austin and South Congress (SoCo) on Congress Ave . It's also on LBJ Lake and the trail system that loops around the lake for some ten miles. This location offers the benefit of walking across the Congress Ave. bridge and into the action of Austin and the 6th street music venues . The bridge is also the location of some 1.5 million Mexican bats that can be seen departing the bridge each night at dusk. SoCo is just south of the hotel and has art galleries, shops, neat food places and plenty to see and experience.

Cabs are lined up out front of the facility, use them instead of driving all over the place. In fact...free yourself up by going to Mellow Johnny's bike shop just a few blocks away off 4th Street and rent a bike. Comes with helmet and water bottle. The cost is cheap, in fat...I think it was the best price in town. The shop is well known, it's huge, and will enhance your visit.

Okay - there is construction around the hotel, but it didn't interfere with my visit. I will stay there agin when I return to Austin.

Room Tip: North side has a view of the city and the lake. It's worth it if you find the time to quietly re...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Although there was construction around the hotel during our visit, once inside the lobby all is forgotten. Our 2 bedroom suite overlooked the river and had a contemporary design. Our stay had no glitches. Great sushi bar and location is perfect for quick jaunts to downtown. Kayaking rentals hotel side.

Room Tip: River view....balcony would be perfect!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I'm glad we booked this hotel because of the location. We were in town to view the bats and the weekend we were there happen to be Bat Festival weekend. It was just a 2 minute walk to the viewing area. The hotel was limited on self parking so we used the valet. There is construction to the hotel but it didn't bother us at all. The rooms were clean and comfortable. However, I was located near the ice machine so I could hear people getting ice in the middle of the night. Also, I could hear when someone decided to take a shower in the middle of the night. You could hear a noise as if the pipes were squeaking.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I arrived and was unable to find parking, after going around the parking lot several times I asked the parking attendant if they had space or not and she had me park in the fire lane. I couldn't believe they had me parked there but there was already in the fire lanes. In their defense they appear to be building a new parking multi=level parking lot. Check-in was fine except for the fact that they wanted a $50 per day deposit ($150) since I was paying cash. The other members in my party were not required to pay this because the system was having problems. The room was decent but seemed a little small. The Air Conditioner system appears to have a sensor so it shuts down when there is no movement so I woke up and had to get out from under my blankets till it cooled down again. The room was not made up after my first night but was done the second. Checkout was very efficient and I thought all was well until later in the evening during my trip home I found out they had placed a hold on my account for one days rate. I called the front desk and they could not figure out the reason that my debit card was zapped since I had paid for my room and deposit in advance. It has been 2 days and still funds are being withheld. Overall I was not impressed it is a beautiful facility but I have gotten better overall service in a super 8 motel in Austin. As you can tell I am not a satisfied customer but it wasn't just one problem there were numerous.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to downtown attractions and right on the running trail. The service was great and the staff very accommodating. We did have a problem finding a parking space one day, but that will be resolved with the new parking garage.

Room Tip: would definitely pay the extra amount to get a river view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed here for a weekend in early August. As a Hyatt Diamond member, I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite upon check-in which was a pleasant surprise. The suite was quite large, but the decor seemed just a bit dated and tired to me. The hotel is in a great location...right on the Lake, adjacent to the Congress St. bridge and just south of downtown Austin. We had breakfast on both days in the restaurant and were happy with our meals. We also had drinks in the bar on the first night. The service in the bar was prompt, although I think the drinks were way over priced. Now for the things needing improvement (in my opinion anyway). The pool is a bit small and lacking when compared to the rest of the property. If you want to walk to South Congress you have to walk in the middle of the road as there isn't a really good, direct way to get off the property. You think this would be a fairly easy fix especially with the safety concerns. With that said, my biggest complaint was the parking, or the lack of parking. It seems that patrons to other bars and restaurants opt to use the self parking on weekends as well which left us with valet parking as our only option on Saturday night after a long drive back from Fredricksburg. The hotel seemed to be very full during our stay and you'd think the hotel would consider limiting parking to hotel guests only, but that didn't appear to be the case. I would assume that this will improve with the extension under construction that seems to include parking, but we'll see. Fortunately for us the construction noise wasn't an issue.

Room Tip: Avoid the side of the hotel adjacent to the construction currently underway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple