“location okay ... close proximity to "bat bridge" ... BUT parking garage”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #17 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“location okay ... close proximity to "bat bridge" ... BUT parking garage”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Concur with other reviewers that this hotel does offer nice views (if you book a room overlooking water) and location is pleasant. My stay was over Thanksgiving holiday, so it also was pleasant surprise to witness the bats flying out from their residence beneath Congress Ave bridge .... by this time of year, usually the bats have all migrated south to Mexico.

But the parking garage was a colossal pain-in-the-butt! Hopefully the problems will be rectified soon, however if you're booked to stay at Hyatt Regency within next few months I'd strongly suggest you re-think the plan. Again another reviewer has also discussed their displeasure around parking. For the entire duration of our stay (11/29/13 thru 12/2/13), there were problem with people being unable to either enter or exit the parking structure. It got to the point that a Hyatt employee needed to be stationed at the entrance/exit in order to swipe their card and allow patrons to get in or out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was hesitant at first, because the hotel certainly isn't the newest in the vicinity; however, you cannot beat the views of downtown Austin. If you want a view, this is your hotel. The room was clean and adequately updated. I stayed on the top 16th floor balcony room, with the downtown view, and the river/lake in the foreground. If you are with a special someone for a quick romantic getaway, and just want to relax away from the young ones partying across the river but need the convenience of downtown, and relish the idea of sitting on your balcony drinking a cup of Joe, reading a good book or doing whatever else tickles your fancy, you can't beat it;) There is a new parking garage offering ample affordable parking. I certainly will stay here next time I'm in town, regardless of the newer hotels going up across the river.

Room Tip: Request a Downtown View
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Corpus Christi, Tx
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Just joined the Hyatt Rewards in October and booked a total of 27 nights (business) in 2 hotels prior to this stay the first wknd in Nov.

This was to be a free night and some time with family and friends. Upon check in I asked for room with a nice view. The young lady explained they were going to have a busy Friday night but that we would have a nice room.

We get to the room, pull back the curtains to the amazing (in a bad way) view of a grand and expansive rooftop along with HVAC systems. In a bit of wonderment and perplexity, I call and ask for a manager.

She and I speak and I explain that we had just joined Hyatt in Oct and had already booked almost of month of rooms. I went on to explain I was shocked to NOT get a lake view. She apologized for the incident, explained the front desk attendant (please note there was a trainer standing right next to her) was in training and set us up with a great view of the Lady Bird Lake.

We generally use Marriott and Omni but I enrolled in Hyatt because the other two were booked on a trip I had to DC.

Hyatt has not been as accommodating and after booking 27 stays in 4 weeks time, maybe I shouldn't even have to ask for an upgrade?!

Jake, one of the Concierge attendants was great. He took care of dinner reservations for us at 3 Forks and transportation arrangements for my wife's friend.

• Stayed November 2013
dallas
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We enjoyed the HR here on the bank of the lake across from downtown Austin. Beautiful view, if you're on the north side of the hotel. The walking trail by the lake is fun to use, and right next to the hotel. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom OK. BUT, coming in a car and dealing with the parking here spoiled much of our experience. On our arrival, I thought our choice was between valet parking, with a big charge, and doing it ourself in the garage. So we drove (or tried to) in and out of the garage several times. Each time, entering and leaving, there was a line of cars trying to get in and out, trying to follow the instructions and make your room key work to raise the barrier. No luck. Everyone had trouble. And from the garage, once parked, into the hotel requires a long walk through construction, down a dirt path, and finally to the main entrance. No direct access. And on checking out, I discovered that the privilege of going through this and using the garage cost me an EXTRA $19.00 PER NIGHT! Wow! So again, nice hotel, but not if you're bringing a car.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on an upper floor on the north side of the building.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank geno31
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Was at this hotel for a conference. The location is nice for those who are willing to walk (I am). Being on the south side of the lake you have to cross over via bridge to get into downtown Austin. Many restaurants are within 20 minutes walking distance which offers a great chance to walk-off one of the big meals.

Upon check-in I was informed that I had been upgraded to a suite and while the parlor portion of my room was ready, the bedroom was not. So I was given keys to the living room/dining portion and had to wait for the rest. When I got up to the parlor portion most of the light-bulbs were out and the room had a slight smell of old champagne. The lightbulbs were fixed in short order with a call to the front desk. However, when I was called about my bedroom being ready I went and got the new keys only to find the adjoining door was still locked. It took another hour to get the passthrough between the suite and the room opened. I had requested a king bed and would expect a king-size bedroom to be attached to a suite, but no. I got two full size (not even queen beds) that I had to curl up on to keep my legs from hanging off. I would have gladly given up the upgrade to a suite to get a king-sized bed.

I really like the size of this hotel. It's much smaller than some of the other Hyatt Regency properties. I also like that they haven't (yet) gone to the elevator system where you scan your card and are assigned an elevator by letter.

The food at this hotel is great and priced reasonably. Although don't eat all your meals here, you're in Austin for crying out loud.

Like other Hyatt Regency properties, the rooms at this property are in woeful need of an upgrade. Specifically the bathrooms. The small tub that only a toddler could actually sit down in with a shower head that is at chest level is annoying. These hotels that host conferences and business events really need to move to stand-up showers.

Finally there is a lot of construction on the south side of the hotel where you are most likely to get a room. They provide ear plugs, which is a nice touch, and necessary if you're sensitive to sounds.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bearpster
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The employees at this location really made this stay special for me and my friend from maryland. Erin at the front desk was knowledgeable about the local area and made some great suggestions for us to do. Dan with the swb really help get the day started right with his senserity and prompt service. And the overnight manager Jerry truly went above and beyond for us more then once. First night he gave us a shuttle ride to the famous 6th street. And the second night when there was no where to get food he shuttled us to a cafe called magnolia. Fantastic getaway.

• Stayed November 2013
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review. We have shared your compliments to the staff and hope to see you on your next trip over. Safe travels and thanks again!
Patchogue, New York
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple days in November, great place. Excellent location on the river, very close to downtown attractions. Rooms are very nice, comfortable, great views. The hotel was hosting an event, so it was crowded and busy, elevators were slow to arrive because of the crowd, but not terrible. Recommended if you are in town...

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business