“Super Hotel, Great Location”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Super Hotel, Great Location”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is located right on the little lake that runs through the middle of downtown Austin. While the immediate neighborhood is rather unimpressive, a short and pleasant walk over the 1st street bridge takes you right into downtown where you can find a wide variety of restaurants and shops. In addition, there is a walking path along the lake that I really enjoyed while I was there. The hotel hands out a little card showing a 4 mile loop (hint: there's one tricky part when you go clockwise as they suggest, so I suggest doing it in reverse, at least the first time). There is a concession right outside the hotel that rents kayaks, canoes, and pontoon bicycles, so you can get out onto the water (multiple other places to rent as you walk around the lake). The hotel itself is a fairly standard Hyatt Regency with the open atrium in the middle, but in very good shape. The hotel was quiet, day and night. Staff were very attentive and considerate. My room had a partial view of the river and the park nearby. There is a little "grab and go" shop called Perk in the lobby that had a very good selection of cold sandwiches and salads to take away. Everything I tried there was good. I would definitely stay here again if I find myself back in Austin.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a lake view room; even a partial lake view on the west side is nice.
Green Features: They had divided trash cans in the room for recycling.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, the time we went there was construction all over the place but, the nice thing was they provided ear plugs just in case! Loved it! Only miss was wish the servers on the patio had mentioned the Texas Mule drink was that spicy, I liked it but it was too spicy to enjoy for my husband (thankfully they made it right and got him a new drink right away! Kudos!!)

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Beachwood, Ohio
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Who would have ever expected a wonderful lake view right out of your window? Our room overlooked Lady Bird Lake and we had an amazing lake and skyline view. We were here for a professional conference and we found the staff friendly and helpful in every way. Be sure to sit on the patio overlooking the lake and see the kayakers and other boaters go by. The famous "Bat Bridge" is just a short walk down the path below the hotel. There is great bat viewing from the top and from below the Congress Street Bridge at twilight. We had a great stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a river view room if you can.
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I enjoyed the room and location. It is in walking distance of downtown and a nearby park. The walking path follows the lake shore. Indoor dining. I liked the breakfast. That was the only meal I ate at the hotel.

1 Thank Judson I S
Dublin, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Facilities were nice and folks were polite, but my experience was underwhelming. The young lady at check-in was cheerful and informed me of the walking/running trail around Lady Bird Lake. I recalled that Hyatt Guest Services sometimes included the ability to borrow "workout" clothing, including running shoes. Sure enough the Guest Services directory in my room indicated who to call for the workout gear, unfortunately after being transferred several times and placing a separate followup call, I was told that that "service" was not, and had never been, available; when I referenced the in-room Guest Services book, I was told it was a typo. Otherwise, the room was great, very nicely appointed and comfortable. Views of Lady Bird Lake and DT Austin are pretty cool as well!

• Stayed April 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for my daughters graduation. Perfect location close to St. Ed's, UT, and downtown. We had a wonderful view of the city. The beds were super comfy, and we ate a terrific breakfast on Mothers Day. The outside bar is great for happy hour. Parking is expensive.

I'm a photographer and photographed a couple getting engaged on the trail around the lake. It was easy and convenient to get to from the hotel.

Room Tip: We were right by the elevator and didn't hear a thing. The view is nice.
Green Features: Impressed by the recycling garbage cans in rooms. They use energy efficient A/C and light blubs, the towels were used again if you wanted, tinted windows for better view and non glare. I love that they use local produce and products, that is wonderful and makes you feel like it is good for you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perfectly located within walking distance to restaurant row - downtown Austin - bat cave - lake activities and more! It felt like everything was only a 10 min walk away. I food was amazing and rooms were clean and spacious. My only complaint is that the music from the bar area really carried through the hotel - right into the rooms...and that ANYONE with issues with heights should not have a higher-floor room. I was on the 11th floor and thought I was going to puke every time I left my room (all rooms face inward open area) and I do not have issues with heights. The glass elevators might be a problem for some people too! I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: If you are afraid of heights, get a LOWER level room! Try to get a room facing the water too...othe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business