“Food Made Me Sick”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #14 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Two things were very concerning about my stay:

1) On the first of my five night stay I ordered room service. About 90 minutes later I was feeling very sick. Then, spent the entire night in the bathroom, horribly sick. I hadn't eaten anything since about 11:00 a.m. so it had to have been something from the room service. When I finally had a chance to complain, the front desk attendant removed the charge from my bill. That was good. But, I would have rather paid for food that didn't make me sick than get free food that made my sick. I was in town for a conference that I was sent to by my employer. I had a very packed schedule. To have spent an entire night without sleep because I was very sick added a ton of stress to my trip. Also, I filled out the comment card that was with my room service and set it on the tray so it could be collected, but when I came back it was taken off the tray and left on the desk. I left it out for the duration of my trip so that it would get picked-up, but it never did.

2) When I checked into the hotel, the front desk attendant told me that my room was pre-paid via the credit card on file. He asked me to provide a credit or debit card for incidentals. I gave him my debit card and asked how much he would be putting on the card. He said that since it was a debit card, and not a credit card, I would be charge $50 per night for a total of $250 for the stay. Instead, I was charged $1,000 immediately. I am still waiting for this charge to be removed from my account. When checking out, I was told that the attendant who checked me in incorrectly placed the deposit on my debit card because he failed to see the hotels.com deposit.

There was a lot of construction going on around the hotel. It was made it more difficult to walk to the convention center. But, whatever, I don't really hold that against them. I am mainly upset about getting sick and being charged four times what I was told I would be charged.

Room Tip: Corner rooms near the river have a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Jonathan P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,273)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

stayed for a short weekend getaway and absolutely loved the location! yes there is a ton of construction going on but we weren't staying outside:) so it didn't bother us one bit. The lobby and bar area was very nice and we got to meet several people there who ended up partying with us on Rainey Street. (which by the way is a very short cab drive away and provides tons of fun) The outdoor patio was an added bonus to sit out, enjoy the scenery and sip a cocktail. The rooms were good in my opinion. It served its purpose and had an amazing view of the lake and downtown. If you are in Austin and spending the majority of your time in your room, you are missing out on all of the fun the city has to offer, so ignore the construction and ignore the fact that the rooms may be a bit outdated and go explore. its a prime location. We absolutely made the most of our stay and would book this hotel again for another weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmarias73
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After staying at the Hyatt on Townlake in Austin, TX for a quick one-night getaway, I totally understand the reviews about the rooms needing a facelift. I live in the Austin area and just spent the night there to have a romantic night with my husband. I used to go to the Hyatt in its heyday for lunch and dinner - back in the early 1980s when it first opened. I don't think they've done any changes to the rooms (except for the linens) since then.

The lobby, bar, deck, and restaurant areas all look fantastic - they've obviously put some work into those areas. Gone is the old rock wall/water area and it's done in nice, up-to-date decor. 5 stars for those areas. I was surprised though how empty the hotel was - granted it was a Sunday night and nothing special was going on in Austin that night.

We had appetizers & drinks on the deck - they were great! Wish they'd clear up the trees by the lake so we could see the water a bit better, but it was still so peaceful & relaxing there. Breakfast buffet was great - delicious omelet and great spread.

But it all comes back to the room - we had even upgraded to the top floor with a balcony. You'd think being on the top floor, it would be a bit more special with a larger bathroom but the bathroom could only fit 1 person at a time! The shower was just a small bathtub with a plastic shower curtain - really? You can't even upgrade the shower curtain?? Not to mention the used washcloth we had draped over the curtain when we arrived - yuck! The carpet in the room was worn, especially at the sliding door onto the balcony. The balcony was okay, but it had a high concrete wall so we couldn't see the lake unless we stood up. It was a bit disarming looking into the drain in the balcony straight down to the ground - made me a bit nervous. And the floor of the balcony was some sort of gravel which we carried back into the room every time we came in. And the walls must be paper-thin, we heard the people next door talking until late in the night.

They're spending a fortune building a parking garage which is a good thing. But if they don't upgrade the rooms, people won't be coming there when there are so many new hotels in the downtown area now. They didn't even have any meeting rooms booked for that Monday from what I could see - that's a problem right there.

Hyatt - you were great back in the 80s, but it's time to make some changes to your rooms or you're gonna be losing lots of business to the new guys in town. The only thing you going for you is being on the lake.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lpmp
HyattSupport, Manager at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking time to write your review today. We are glad you chose to stay with us for a little getaway. We are very sorry to hear your stay was less than exceptional. As we finish our new Ballroom, we're always taking our guest feedback seriously and include room updates into consideration. Thanks again for letting us know your issues. We have shared them with our staff and hope to see you the next time you're interested in a getaway!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just 1 night here. Our room was a standard Hyatt style, clean, tidy and enough room for 2.
Our room did not have a downtown view, however, this did not distract from the stay as we were out most of the time.
The location on the lake was lovely - we took a quick stroll down to the lake and bridge before a quick change for our finale dinner evening at the W Hotel.
Staff were pleasant and very helpful - especially after we had made a slight mess in the room, they arranged to have this cleaned and sorted ready for our return that evening.
All-in-all a good stay

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is located right on the little lake that runs through the middle of downtown Austin. While the immediate neighborhood is rather unimpressive, a short and pleasant walk over the 1st street bridge takes you right into downtown where you can find a wide variety of restaurants and shops. In addition, there is a walking path along the lake that I really enjoyed while I was there. The hotel hands out a little card showing a 4 mile loop (hint: there's one tricky part when you go clockwise as they suggest, so I suggest doing it in reverse, at least the first time). There is a concession right outside the hotel that rents kayaks, canoes, and pontoon bicycles, so you can get out onto the water (multiple other places to rent as you walk around the lake). The hotel itself is a fairly standard Hyatt Regency with the open atrium in the middle, but in very good shape. The hotel was quiet, day and night. Staff were very attentive and considerate. My room had a partial view of the river and the park nearby. There is a little "grab and go" shop called Perk in the lobby that had a very good selection of cold sandwiches and salads to take away. Everything I tried there was good. I would definitely stay here again if I find myself back in Austin.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a lake view room; even a partial lake view on the west side is nice.
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, the time we went there was construction all over the place but, the nice thing was they provided ear plugs just in case! Loved it! Only miss was wish the servers on the patio had mentioned the Texas Mule drink was that spicy, I liked it but it was too spicy to enjoy for my husband (thankfully they made it right and got him a new drink right away! Kudos!!)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Who would have ever expected a wonderful lake view right out of your window? Our room overlooked Lady Bird Lake and we had an amazing lake and skyline view. We were here for a professional conference and we found the staff friendly and helpful in every way. Be sure to sit on the patio overlooking the lake and see the kayakers and other boaters go by. The famous "Bat Bridge" is just a short walk down the path below the hotel. There is great bat viewing from the top and from below the Congress Street Bridge at twilight. We had a great stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a river view room if you can.