“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of an overseas high school reunion. People came from multiple locations around the globe to attend.

Check in was easy -- it was computerized and quick. The bellhop was great. The room itself was very nice and clean. The view was OK but not perfect (we overlooked a parking lot.) Catching a ride to another location took almost 45minutes. The pre-party room was not kept up regularly. Between this and the time we waited for a ride is the reason that I ranked this a 4 rather than a 5. The beds were extremely comfortable. The curtains kept out the light.

The evening of the reunion was nice for the most part. There were not enough chairs for the guests but the food was Great. Another reason for the 4 rather than the 5. The overall location is great. It's downtown and the Bat Bridge is within waliking distance. (http://www.batcon.org/index.php/get-involved/visit-a-bat-location/congress-avenue-bridge/subcategory.html)

Overall this was a nice place and I would stay here again despite a few quirks!

The night of the party

Room Tip: Ask for the River View so that you can watch the bats as they leave the bridge at night!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FeedMe_2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was a great location aside from the construction going on. Check in was a breeze. When asked what brought us to Austin, I told the desk clerk we were there to celebrate our anniversary. The lobby and public rooms are very nice as was our room. When we returned from dinner we found a wonderful surprise waiting for us. We found a nice chilled bottle of wine and fruit, along with a very thoughtful handwritten card congratulating us on our anniversary. What a great touch. We decided to try the breakfast buffet the next morning and both of us were pleased. Overall, it was a great stay. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Austin Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattSupport, Manager at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for writing such a kind review. We're thrilled you received your special anniversary treat and we hope you'll come see us again next year. Cheers to another year of love & happiness!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I celebrated my birthday by booking a room at the Hyatt Regency with a few of my girlfriends. The front desk service was nice and check-in was very quick. Our room was nice and the view was fantastic overlooking town lake. Really stellar view, but that ended up being the only good thing about our stay.

We decided to lay out by the pool for the afternoon before heading to dinner downtown. The servers at the pool were terrible. We had to chase them down several times and when they did come around to us they were abrupt, dismissive and rude. It was as if we were a burden to them. I understand and can appreciate that sometimes servers get busy and drinks can take a little time. But this was more than just being busy, this was poor attitude and poor service. Disappointing.

We didn't let it get us down though, and went out as planned and had a fantastic time. We had fun hanging out on the balcony when we got back to the hotel. Again, check-out was quick and efficient. The front desk was pleasant and the valet was great. However, when I got home I discovered that my boyfriend had ordered us champagne that was to be waiting in our room upon arrival. It was not! When he called the hotel he had to wait on hold for 15 minutes and then he was told that they would "look into it and call him back." I was appalled! When they did finally call him back he was told that there was no record of the order. We have not checked the credit card statement yet, but I sincerely hope that we won't find a charge for the champagne that we never received. Such a nice gesture from him for my birthday and the staff at the Hyatt totally dropped the ball.

Truthfully I was going to give them 2 stars after the night but I did just receive a phone call from the management and they are compensating us for the mistakes. For that reason I bumped it up to 3 stars. I appreciate the apology and will give them another chance... (but I probably won't be hanging out by the pool next time I stay.)

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing Ladybird Lake, definitely do so!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank UncleJuliosATX
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Two things were very concerning about my stay:

1) On the first of my five night stay I ordered room service. About 90 minutes later I was feeling very sick. Then, spent the entire night in the bathroom, horribly sick. I hadn't eaten anything since about 11:00 a.m. so it had to have been something from the room service. When I finally had a chance to complain, the front desk attendant removed the charge from my bill. That was good. But, I would have rather paid for food that didn't make me sick than get free food that made my sick. I was in town for a conference that I was sent to by my employer. I had a very packed schedule. To have spent an entire night without sleep because I was very sick added a ton of stress to my trip. Also, I filled out the comment card that was with my room service and set it on the tray so it could be collected, but when I came back it was taken off the tray and left on the desk. I left it out for the duration of my trip so that it would get picked-up, but it never did.

2) When I checked into the hotel, the front desk attendant told me that my room was pre-paid via the credit card on file. He asked me to provide a credit or debit card for incidentals. I gave him my debit card and asked how much he would be putting on the card. He said that since it was a debit card, and not a credit card, I would be charge $50 per night for a total of $250 for the stay. Instead, I was charged $1,000 immediately. I am still waiting for this charge to be removed from my account. When checking out, I was told that the attendant who checked me in incorrectly placed the deposit on my debit card because he failed to see the hotels.com deposit.

There was a lot of construction going on around the hotel. It was made it more difficult to walk to the convention center. But, whatever, I don't really hold that against them. I am mainly upset about getting sick and being charged four times what I was told I would be charged.

Room Tip: Corner rooms near the river have a great view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Jonathan P
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2014

stayed for a short weekend getaway and absolutely loved the location! yes there is a ton of construction going on but we weren't staying outside:) so it didn't bother us one bit. The lobby and bar area was very nice and we got to meet several people there who ended up partying with us on Rainey Street. (which by the way is a very short cab drive away and provides tons of fun) The outdoor patio was an added bonus to sit out, enjoy the scenery and sip a cocktail. The rooms were good in my opinion. It served its purpose and had an amazing view of the lake and downtown. If you are in Austin and spending the majority of your time in your room, you are missing out on all of the fun the city has to offer, so ignore the construction and ignore the fact that the rooms may be a bit outdated and go explore. its a prime location. We absolutely made the most of our stay and would book this hotel again for another weekend getaway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmarias73
Austin, TX
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After staying at the Hyatt on Townlake in Austin, TX for a quick one-night getaway, I totally understand the reviews about the rooms needing a facelift. I live in the Austin area and just spent the night there to have a romantic night with my husband. I used to go to the Hyatt in its heyday for lunch and dinner - back in the early 1980s when it first opened. I don't think they've done any changes to the rooms (except for the linens) since then.

The lobby, bar, deck, and restaurant areas all look fantastic - they've obviously put some work into those areas. Gone is the old rock wall/water area and it's done in nice, up-to-date decor. 5 stars for those areas. I was surprised though how empty the hotel was - granted it was a Sunday night and nothing special was going on in Austin that night.

We had appetizers & drinks on the deck - they were great! Wish they'd clear up the trees by the lake so we could see the water a bit better, but it was still so peaceful & relaxing there. Breakfast buffet was great - delicious omelet and great spread.

But it all comes back to the room - we had even upgraded to the top floor with a balcony. You'd think being on the top floor, it would be a bit more special with a larger bathroom but the bathroom could only fit 1 person at a time! The shower was just a small bathtub with a plastic shower curtain - really? You can't even upgrade the shower curtain?? Not to mention the used washcloth we had draped over the curtain when we arrived - yuck! The carpet in the room was worn, especially at the sliding door onto the balcony. The balcony was okay, but it had a high concrete wall so we couldn't see the lake unless we stood up. It was a bit disarming looking into the drain in the balcony straight down to the ground - made me a bit nervous. And the floor of the balcony was some sort of gravel which we carried back into the room every time we came in. And the walls must be paper-thin, we heard the people next door talking until late in the night.

They're spending a fortune building a parking garage which is a good thing. But if they don't upgrade the rooms, people won't be coming there when there are so many new hotels in the downtown area now. They didn't even have any meeting rooms booked for that Monday from what I could see - that's a problem right there.

Hyatt - you were great back in the 80s, but it's time to make some changes to your rooms or you're gonna be losing lots of business to the new guys in town. The only thing you going for you is being on the lake.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lpmp
HyattSupport, Manager at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review today. We are glad you chose to stay with us for a little getaway. We are very sorry to hear your stay was less than exceptional. As we finish our new Ballroom, we're always taking our guest feedback seriously and include room updates into consideration. Thanks again for letting us know your issues. We have shared them with our staff and hope to see you the next time you're interested in a getaway!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just 1 night here. Our room was a standard Hyatt style, clean, tidy and enough room for 2.
Our room did not have a downtown view, however, this did not distract from the stay as we were out most of the time.
The location on the lake was lovely - we took a quick stroll down to the lake and bridge before a quick change for our finale dinner evening at the W Hotel.
Staff were pleasant and very helpful - especially after we had made a slight mess in the room, they arranged to have this cleaned and sorted ready for our return that evening.
All-in-all a good stay