“The Club Lounge made it better”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #92 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“The Club Lounge made it better”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Decent hotel. Sheratons never have fridges, which I'm not crazy about, but the beds are super comfortable and the service is good.

The club lounge (that I got access to for being SPG Gold) really made it great for me, because I got a nice, free, hot breakfast every morning, hors d'ourves every night, and I could always pop in for a free cold drink or banana or granola bar throughout the day.

There was also a girl who worked in the club lounge whose name I am forgetting, but she was a total sweet heart. I was away on business for 4 nights, so it was nice to have a friendly face to look forward to seeing up there after work hours.

They also have a really decent gym at this hotel - way bigger than most. Plus an indoor/outdoor pool (that was freezing, but nice to sit around) and an indoor hot tub.

SPG Gold makes this hotel way better, and it's already decent!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This hotel is a good representation of the Sheraton brand. I have stayed at this hotel many times, in many rooms and never had any major issues and the staff was always friendly, helpful and responsive. Nice rooms, great beds and a nice pool that is both inside and outside the hotel. I always requested to stay on the upper floors since the rooms were quieter from I35 (next to the hotel). Rooms on the southwest (zigzag hall) are the quietest.

I question other reviews that indicate the pool as dirty (maybe after a storm since part of the pool is outside) and rude staff. The staff has never been rude and I have stayed here more than 50 nights. Yes some of the rooms have damage to the furniture (usually the desk has been mistreated by people staying there).

Summary:
- Nice property
- Nice rooms with great beds
- Friendly and helpful customer service
- Housecleaning is not always consistent (only minor issues though)
- Close to I35 (convenient but traffic noise)
- Nice, unique inside/outside pool
- Location is not downtown but about a 15-20 minute walk

The location was perfect for me since I was working near the capitol. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the main downtown street of Congress Ave. I always walked up 11th St to San Jacinto or past before heading north or south. I don't recommend walking down Red River to 6th St since the is very little on Red River that's open and panhandlers tend to hang out on that street. Austin is a great little city and this hotel worked out fine for me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Staff was rude, location is not the best in Downtown Austin, pool was dirty, furniture damaged.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stayed with a close friend of mine at the Sheraton earlier this year and had a blast! The hotel is in such a great central location. So many great restaurants and bars within (close) walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed at the sheraton for a few nights while my house in Austin was being worked on and I loved the place, walking distance to some of my favorite bars on red river and a clean a quiet place to come home to after a long night on the town. The staff was great also compared to other hotels i've stayed at, very helpful. Great value, great experience!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Stayed for a business conference for 3 nights.

Pluses:
+ Great workout room
+ Convenient to state capitol

Cons:
- Expensive (even with group discount)
- "Indoor" pool is connected to outdoor pool in some kind of solar heating attempt (fail); don't plan on swimming unless it's warm enough to swim outside.
- No refrigerator or microwave in room
- Not convenient to clubs or convention center (walkable, but about a mile away)
- No continental breakfast (might be expected for the price); for pay options were pretty expensive (something like paying for bacon by the strip)
- Internet access in room is an additional fee and free public hotspots in hotel are very small (not a good option during our in-hotel business event), requiring frequent re-activation
- Parking is $16/night, although we got a group rate of $8/night. Not sure what other hotels charge, but you can park on the street for $10/day.
- Curt hotel staff

Summary:
I feel that Sheraton is an outdated, snooty brand. I will never stay here again, even if business event is held in hotel. There are MUCH better options in Austin.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Angie A, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Sheraton fitness center and convenient location to the State Capitol. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay at the Sheraton Austin. We take all feedback very serisously. I do apologize for the experiences you had with our staff as this is very atypical and will certainly be addressed. If you would like to address you comments further with a hotel team member please send an email to info@sheratonaustinhotel.com so we may address it directly with you.

Dave Baxter
London
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed here 9th Oct to 13th for a conference being held at the hotel.

Overall the hotel seemed very average. The lobby isn't anything to write home about.

Room was spacious and comfortable, cleanliness lacking a little perhaps. There was 2 napkins on our floor for 2 days til I threw them away (they were not our napkins in the first place). Stains on the carpet and the surfaces seemed to be dusty all the time. Windows are FILTHY to the point 1 morning we thought it was incredibly foggy but now it was just the dirt on the windows (inside and out)

The colour scheme of the rooms appears to be white sheets with beige walls, the walls almost look they were white once upon a time and gave a very dated feel.

Most staff seemed friendly and helpful enough, especially the front desk who helped us with a mess up with our booking.

Restaurant staff maybe not so much. Came across a little short and a couldn't be bothered attitude. One day I wanted pancakes with Strawberries for breakfast, was told the buffet is cheaper and pancakes would be $1 extra, great. Except no pancakes came :( Breakfast overall was ok, again nothing amazing although they really need a toaster that actually toasts the bread, even the setting that normally burns barely turned the bread into a toast gold colour.

The dinner menu for the restaurant is very small and uninspiring

1 complaint is paying for internet access in your room. Why?? so many hotels now inc free wifi I really think in this day and age it should be included. Also as both me and my husband wanted wifi we had to pay twice (either that or mess around trying to share a connection)

Also the vending machine didn't work on our floor or the ice machine

I wouldn't say it was centrally located, its not far from the place to be but its not close either.

Overall our stay was comfortable and enjoyable but I don't think I would stay at a Sheraton again. Something just seems to be missing.