“Clean and comfortable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Texas
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hotel was fine for our needs. Nothing fancy or elaborate and for the price maybe you would expect a bit more but it's in a good location and clean. Delicious buffet breakfast and delicious drinks at the bar. The indoor pool was a hit with the kids!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My SPG member companion and I had a great time on our recent trip to Austin. Unfortunately, upon return to our club floor room we could hear everything our neighbors were saying! Additionally, our bathroom amenities were not refreshed until our last night or until we called pre-shower.

I was not impressed!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your feedback. We work hard to control the noise levels of other guests inside the hotel, especially on weekends. I am sorry that the loudness of others tarnished your stay with us. I will make sure to share your comments with our managers and staff. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Best Regards,
Syosset, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Weekend stay . I'm an SPG member, room was small, nothing bad but nothing great. Dated bathroom, shower sub standard. elevator waits. Lobby bar okay. For $229 I expect better.

Hotel needs a facelift. Lobby had a weird smell.

Location is good.

Stayed February 2014
Dan,

Thank you for your business. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I believe the smell in the lobby you are speaking of is the Branded Scent that all Sheraton's carry. If you are interested in booking a large room we do offer larger corner rooms and suites to book. I hope you will give us another chance to be your hotel of choice.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Staff super friendly and hotel met expectations. The experience of history, music, culture was all outside the hotel. Great location. Would def return. We had access to the the lounge and that did give us many conveniences.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe for lounge access
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, while I was in Austin for a convention.

I purposely decided to book this hotel because I am an spy gold member and among the benefits I was interested in the late checkout.

Although I was happy with the staff always friendly and courteous, (especially the staff at the bar was very friendly, attentive without being intrusive), unfortunately, I cannot say that my stay was satisfactory.

There are things that you expect from 4 star a hotel that were not there. For example:

1. The building seemed a little outdated
2. The Room lacked a refrigerator and a safe, which is a pretty standard configuration nowadays for hotel of this category
3. The water pressure in the bathroom was inconsistent
4. The toilet flush was not functioning properly and I had to fiddle with the handle in order to stop the water
5. There were only 2 drawers in the room. The night tables were basically side tables with no room below the surface
6. There was some issue with the coffee maker (please see the picture attached). The first time I made myself coffee, the water was overflowing from the top of the tray that contains the pod. I informed the front desk about it, and the coffee maker was replaced. However, the second one had the same problem. They replaced it again with no success. My take on this is that the “proudly served” Starbucks pods do not work well with that kind of coffee maker which, because of the copious spilling of water, could become a fire hazard.
7. As a Spg gold member and I asked for an “enhanced” room, which, if available, is one of the benefits of this status. Now, I am not sure I was given one of those “enhanced” rooms because between the marathon and the convention maybe the hotel was completely booked. However, if I was I can only imagine how bad a non-enhanced room is.

All in all, considering the list above, the location (which is just convenient if you need to be close to the expressway) and for the price, I feel I cannot give this hotel a good review.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Simone

First let me thank you for being a GOLD SPG Member. Your loyalty and business are greatly appreciated and is what makes our hotels some of the best in the world! I am sorry that the property did not meet your expectations. However, it sounds like the staff did a great job of taking care of you during your stay. We are constantly working to improve the property and update the guest rooms and public areas. We hope our service levels will keep your coming back!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I come to Austin on a regular base, and I do not stay down town unless I have to, the Staff here is friendly, but the hotel is a little outdated. The Hotel is clean and because it near the Capitol, it gets a lot of business. I guess that is why five other hotels are being built now – that will add additional 2500 rooms to the Austin market.

Starwood generally does a good job at keeping their older properties in decent shape, but somehow this one seems to have slipped through the cracks.

I am SPG Platinum and I spend enough time at Starwood hotels to say that this hotel needs honest attention.

Three stars is a fair rating based on a friendly staff, but because the hotel is a bit in need of renovation, I do not think it deserves a four-star review.

Room Tip: Location is downtown, but the Hotel needs some updating.
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that our staff was the highlight of your stay with us. We did just finish installing brand new 42 in HD TVs in all of our guest rooms along with a complete update of our Wireless Internet Network. We have also recently replaced the lampshades, guest room carpets and desk chairs. There are more exciting updates coming in the near future so we hope you will continue your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest Member.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I'm a frequent traveller and stayed at the Sheraton hotel in Austin a few weeks back. I usually don't take time to write reviews but figured I would make an exception for this one. The staff was really amazing (especially Kaleo at the club lounge): they almost made me forget that I was on the road. :-)

1 Thank Nikita N
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Nikita

Thank you for your kind words regarding our Staff. We truly pride ourselves on exceptional guest service. I will make sure to share your comments and commend Kaleo for his exceptional service!

Best Regards