“Nice Hotel could use renovation”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #91 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Nice Hotel could use renovation”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here recently for a convention being held in town. The hotel is a few blocks walk from the main downtown area with little nearby. There are 2 restaurants within a block. The hotel was certainly adequate with clean, comfortable rooms and attentive staff. The beds had great bedding and were very comfortable. Some other details could use some attention, however. The headboard in our room was leather and was not just worn but cracked and peeling. There were many noticeable areas of wear on the walls, peeling wallpaper and our toilet appeared to have been rodded leaving behind permanent marking from the equipment.

The staff were very helpful providing area information and taxis. But beware, the taxis in this city are out to make a big buck. Traveling a little more than a mile cost on average $10-$13, 2 times of what you'd pay in Chicago! Why didn't I just walk? With 90 degrees and about that much humidity I didn't want to show up sopping wet!

Last I heard this hotel was being bought out and renovated - I'd wait for the new updated version to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Scott L, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Regina D,

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay at our property and your visit to Austin. We pride ourselves on our staffs attentiveness and service so I am glad we met your expectations regarding that aspect of your stay. I apologize for some of the details not being correct in your room. I will make sure these are shared with our Chief Engineer, as this is not typical for our guest rooms. We do have some exciting new improvements coming in the near future that will address many different aspects of the hotel. I hope to you will revisit us soon.

Best Regards

Scott L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed 20 June 2014

SPG Gold Member, stayed 1 night in June.

Friendly staff, had a club floor room but it was dated and no updated like they stated. Average stay in a small room, typical Sheraton. For the price expected more.

Room was fairly clean and friendly staff.

Next time downtown Austin ill stay closer to 6th Street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian C
Brian C

Thank you so much your review and your loyalty as an SPG Gold member. I am so glad you found our staff pleasant and were impressed with the service they were able to provide you during your trip so Austin. We work hard to provide a clean room and great experience for all of our guests. We work each week to try and improve our club lounge experience and will make sure your comments are taken into consideration. We hope to see you in your future travels!

All the best,

Scott L
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I live in SC & my daughter lives in Beaumont Tx and we planned her wedding in Austin including a breakfast bridal shower at the Landmark.
From the sales mgr. to the events/caterer planner and staff.
They gave us the most professional warm and accomodating experience. They were there to help in anyway and made our event a huge success. I cannot express enough our gratitude in making sure of every detail that made our experience and event a huge success.
On returning to Austin, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else, it was like family with the attentive care given in excellence to assure us we mattered.
My express gratitude for the patience, support, guidance and caring professionalism exhibited to me trying to plan & coordinate from long distance
my daughters wedding.
I was made to feel valued and reassured that I was indeed in good hands and all details would be met and if I needed anything to not hesitate to call.
Thank you for making our stay and event a memorable one.
I especially want to thank
Ms. Heather Miley
Emily and Frances for the outstanding job they did and for being genuinely fine caliber people who are a great asset to The Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol. Sincerely, Mary Pennington

• Stayed June 2014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Sheration Austin hotel was clean and comfortable to sleep in. However, the age of the hotel was noticeable and there were a few amenities that I would expect a hotel of this price to have in each room. I will list them below. But first let me list the positive things about the hotel.

Pros:
-Location - some rooms have a nice view of the capital and it is within walking distance of 6th street.
-We arrive 1 hour before check-in and our room was available and ready.
-Comfortable beds
-Good water pressure and temp in the shower

Cons:
-There is no vent fan in the bathroom / shower area. This is a standard feature in most hotels and it is strange that this hotel did not have it. What ends up happening after you take a shower all the humidity is trapped in the bathroom and we noticed a damp musky smell the moment we walked in. And the hinges in the bathroom door had a good amount of rust on them I assume from the trapped humidity.
-No safe in the room
-No mini fridge
-Shower head does not move. The shower is aimed straight at you and you can't redirect it. I had to turn the shower head off just to be able to soap up.
-We had two extra doors on the left and right of our room that connected rooms next to ours. I found myself double checking the locks just to be sure the people next to us could open the door and walk into our room.
-Although the rooms were clean it had a dated feel to it.

Overall, if I were to return to Austin I would pick a different hotel based on the cons I listed above.

Room Tip: Book on the hotels website and claim the best price guarantee to get an extra 10% off your room. Yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Scott L, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear VinceDigital,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback on your stay. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location near 6th street, were able to check-in early, found our Sheraton Sweep Sleeper to exceed your expectations, and had fantastic water pressure and temperature in the shower. We do apologize that you found us to be missing certain amenities in the room. We do provide a refrigerator on request when needed and we do provide in room safes in certain rooms. We will follow up with engineering and management about the other issues regarding the bathroom so that other guest will not experience this same experience. I can assure you we check all the locks in between the guest rooms for our guests security and privacy. We really appreciate you for staying with us and I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

SheratonSA
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

For the price I'd preferred to have stayed at the Intercontinental, their neighborhood location is better, but they were booked. The staff here is very friendly though and the lobby restaurant/bar are quite good. Rooms are spacious enough and updated nicely. I was in town for work so it was suitable to my needs. One big con - this Sheraton still charges for WiFi which half the time did not work! Note to management - I wish you would not charge for WiFi - I think in this day and age charging for WiFi is tacky.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
new york city
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed at the property for a wedding during the X Games. The location is convenient and fortunately located next to the best BBQ I have ever had; Franklins! The front desk agent who assisted us, tall and brunette was not very helpful and a little rude. We had checked in at about 10pm and she was in such a hurry to check us in and answer our questions, we were a bit insulted. The room itself was very small, with terrible view and a very outdated bathroom. The two fitness centers also in need of new equipment as everything was very old and the room was poorly lit. The bar staff were all lovely, especially a short latin woman who ALWAYS had a smile on her face and was eager to help. We were quite embarrassed to bring in outside food, but she generously offered the hotel's napkins, flatware and plates. The outdoor pool was also very nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott L, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Bella160,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us in regards to your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed our great location, the world famous Franklin BBQ, our great pool and our bar staff. We apologize that the room itself was not to your liking and that the check in felt rushed. We have recently repaired the fitness equipment to bring it all up to standard. I appreciate the comments that you have shared with us and will make sure to share the highlights and opportunities from your experience with our staff and management team. We hope to see you next year for X-Games Austin!

SheratonDR
Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent fathers day weekend here and was very sad about the room. The room was so small I couldn't use the luggage rack for the suitcase. The bathroom was fine, but the sink outside had no storage space for much. The maid service came at 6PM to service the room. The swimming pool was just plain sad and dirty.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott L, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
June 17, 2014
Dear xpatsrus,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us in regards to your stay. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can only apologize that your room did not meet your size expectations and therefore did not have enough space for your items. It is not a normal occurrence to have a room cleaned at 6pm and we will make sure to share your feedback with our Housekeeping team to ensure they are servicing the rooms at an appropriate and convenient time for our guests. I appreciate the comments that you have shared with us as a leisure traveler and I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

SheratonSA