“Helpful staff, large clean rooms a little out of the way for downtown”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #105 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for business. The rooms are large [especially corner rooms] comfortable and very clean. There is no mini bar however.
There is an indoor/outdoor pool and gym facilities which are very nice. The staff is always helpful and attentive. If you don't need to be in the center of the action, this is a very well priced hotel in Austin!

Room Tip: corner rooms or rooms facing the Capitol.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The hotel is nice and has a great location but they charge for parking $20. When I asked the front desk about this and mentioned the sign says give front desk your ticket and they would validate it. I did and then at check out the new lady said that it is not free and the lady yesterday charged my card. The lady at check out said she would remove this charge but I still haven't see it refunded back. Also I purchased the hotel through hotels.com, and picked a king size bed, and when I got to my room I had two doubles. I'm pregnant and it's hard to sleep in a smaller bed for two especially since this was our last weekend away before the baby comes. Not happy with the front desk on these two things.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott L, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

TravelingG

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and your recent stay in Austin, TX. I am so glad you enjoyed the property and it's great location in the heart of downtown. We do charge for parking so I am extremely sorry there was confusion with the front desk regarding this issue. I will make sure to review this process with our staff so that it does not happen again. I hope we can be your location of choice in the future!

Best Regards

Scott L

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I chose to stay at Sheraton because it was within walking distance from 6th street. I booked my hotel from Expedia and because of some technical issues there were two room booked in my name. I realized about it after my arrival at the hotel after the lady at the front desk told me about it. When I tried to ask the front desk lady since I did not intend to make two reservation what should I do to cancel it. She was very rude and did not try to help me at all. It was nice of a guy behind me who later told me that if I will Expedia they will issue me a refund. So, even though its a decent price tagged hotel looking at its location, which is fairly close to 6th street. Its not the place to be if you cannot tolerate unruly front desk persons. And I said front desk person's because there was another boy sitting next to that lady but he didn't step ahead to help either.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank udips

Udips

Thank you for witting regarding your recent stay. It is disappointing to hear that we were unable to resolve your reservation issues with Expedia. Because Expedia charges your credit card and not the hotel it is not possible for us to issue refunds directly to your financial institution. However our goal is to provide exceptional service throughout all aspects of your stay. I will ensure that the employees who were not able to assist you with this discrepancy and properly coached on how to handle third party reservations. My deepest apologies.

Scott L

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a rugby tour staff at the bar really helpfull also at reception ,pool especially a great place to spend your day,breakfast was a high standard,and the location of the hotel is couldn't be better,all in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to others

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I usually have a good experience as an SPG member. The bathrooms in the hotel are in DESPERATE need of updating. The tiles in the shower had huge gouges that someone tried to disguise with white paint. The shower/tub fixture didn't work properly. However, I can actually overlook some of these things, understanding that updates are a bit overdue. The cleaning service in my room--in particular Wednesday and Thursday--were awful. They didn't clean my coffee pot or refill with supplies, there was hair in my sink (which I think was mine from the morning, meaning that they didn't even clean the basin of the sink). they replaced towels and made my bed. Period. I'm surprised, as I've not had this experience in a Sheraton before. Service seemed better on Friday--maybe a change in staff? It was pretty bad. Other service was fine--friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Scott L, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Kathleen F,

Thank you so much for being a loyal SPG member and taking the time to inform us about the issues you faced during your recent stay. We deeply apologize that you did not find the bathroom to be up to standard and we are happy to inform you that we are in the process of fixing that issue. On the other hand, we are glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We will forward your housekeeping issues to the department and make sure that this does not happen again. I hope you will give us another chance in the future if you decide to come back to Austin.

Warm Regards,
SheratonSA

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've stayed here a number of times and the only reason I keep coming back is that I'm a loyal SPG member and the W seems to always be booked. My prior says have been plagued by long check-in wait times, dark and dated rooms, lukewarm shower rooms and lack of adequate cooling in the guest rooms. I usually reccommend that my co-workers stay elsewhere. I have also emailed the General Manager each stay with the aforementioned issues. The GM was barely apologetic each time, but it really seems like the owners (HEI Hospitality) are simply cheap. That said, this time the check-in process was quick although I could have been lucky since it was Monday and the hotel didn't seem overly booked. Also, my room was adequately cool although it requires that the drapes are drawn all day which makes the room darker than it already is. The hotel still has dark and dated rooms as well as the rest of the hotel needs a refresher. With more supply coming in the market (can't wait for the Westin), this hotel will fall futher into obscurity without any upgrades. Finally, the location is great if you don't mind a short walk to downtown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Scott L, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Taco-Wednesday

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoy our great location during your recent stays with us, however I am so sorry that you felt as though we have not been able to adequately address your concerns. I wanted to take a moment to offer my personal apologies for the issues you have experienced during your stay. While HEI manages the property we have recently changed our ownership group and we are planning some exciting renovations and significant improvements. These renovations will help in updating the property as well as its outdoor and public spaces. Our guest room AC units are on an occupancy sensor that works to detect when someone enters or exits the room in order to reduce our carbon footprint. I will make sure to share your concerns regarding the water temperature as this is not a normal occurrence for our guests. If there is anything we can do for you in your future travels please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will work to ensure a seamless stay for you.

All the best,
SheratonGM

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Fantastic staff. Great location. Moderately decent accommodations.

The hotel is just on the outskirts of the city center. In addition, there is super convenient access to the highways for meetings or work outside of the core just adjacent to the hotel.

The hotel is a bit dated. This is a reoccurring theme for the Sheraton Austin reviews on TripAdvisor. There is one shining light to the hotel - the Club Lounge. It is one of the best in the Sheraton chain. The staff in the lounge are so friendly and accommodating. The selection of food and drink is plentiful (although it seemed the espresso machine was never working).

Yes, the Sheraton Austin is no luxury hotel. In fact, it is in need of a few updates and a little more attention to the general upkeep of the property - but all-in-all the "pluses" of the hotel outweigh the "minuses;" and it is decent enough place to stay if you are in town for business and need a convenient location.

Room Tip: Stay on the Club Floor level. Although the rooms are no better - the Club Lounge is great and is a r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Scott L, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Wayne C,

Thank you so much for commenting on you recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you found our location convenient for everything Austin has to offer! It also great to hear that you got to experience our Sheraton Club Lounge and that it exceeded your previous visits to other Sheraton properties lounges. I will certainly follow up on your concerns regarding the espresso machine being out of service and some of the general updates that need to happen around the property. I am glad to hear that the majority of your stay with us was enjoyable and I appreciate the comments that you have shared as a business traveler. We certainly look forward to your return.

Warm Regards,