“It's just dirty”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #102 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have stayed here 3x. The hotel always seems dirty. It feels a bit worn and dated in need of paint and cleaning.

Front deck staff is very nice.
Bar service was not good. Waited and waited and waited for a bartender who decided to walk away when I approached.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Scott L, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dawatson,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and again. We really appreciate the loyalty you have shown our property. I am glad that your encounters with the front desk staff were positive, we really feel they are the best in town. I will make sure to share your experience at the lobby bar with our food and beverage manager. I know that is not typical of their service and she will act quickly to ensure it does not happen again. We are approaching some exciting improvements to the property that should significantly improve our product. I hope that you will give us another try in your coming travels to Austin.

Best Regards

Scott L

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel during one night of a Bachelorette party. The staff was great to help us to our room when we arrived and were all very friendly. Our room however was not up to par. It was humid and hot, smelled a little stale, and the shower didn't drain. Definitely did not meet my expectations for the price. Needs some updating. Likely won't be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2014
Scott L, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Marge F

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful during your celebration in Austin. We work hard to make sure our staff provides great service to all of our guests. I am sorry to hear about the maintenance issues with your guest room. I will make sure to share your comments with our housekeeping and engineering teams. Hopefully you will give us another chance at hosting your important life moments.

All the best,
SAUGuestRelations

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is our 2nd time staying here and we like it because of the location. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great, near the Capitol, 6th St and restaurants. The breakfast is good: coffee, cereals, yogurt, OJ, and the view from the breakfast area is very nice. We didn't used the pool.
My only complaint will be that you can hear EVERYTHING that happens in the other rooms and in the hallway. We woke up in the middle of the night because two women were arguing in the hallway, and they were very loud, until the person from the room next to ours open the door and asked them to take it inside, the women stopped arguing and went to their room. I understand it is not the hotel's fault if people start to argue, but you can hear everything: footsteps, voices, your "neighbor" TV. We are kind of heavy sleepers so the noise doesn't bother us that much, it was just the 2 women were very, very loud. And this happened just this time, because the first time we stayed here nothing like that happened, I mean, what are the odds? I would recommend this hotel, just warn people about the noise thing if you are a light sleeper. You can't beat the location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

What a wonderful hotel. It had such a pleasant smell inside the lobby and hallways, almost like a baby powder type scent. It just smelled incredibly clean, it was spotless, the staff was super pleasant, the food was really delicious and the bed was very comfy. The location was perfect for us as it was just a short walk to 6th street and less than 2 miles from all the shops and restaurants on Congress. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone staying in downtown Austin.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to get a corner room. The bathroom area is much larger.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I read several bad reviews after I booked a room for 2 nights! Really worried about all the way to Austin. We arrived and were greeted by the valet immediately! We checked in at the front desk by very friendly staff. I asked for advice where to eat and their advice was fantastic. The room was nice, clean and updated. The thermostat was working perfectly and the A/C cooled great! I only had one thing that was less than fantastic about the hotel and that was the $20 charge per night for parking. It was $30 per night with valet! Otherwise great place to get away!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor and it was nice!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The staff workers Shauna and Mariam were extremely helpful and understanding. They were wonderful to us and I really appreciated their kindness. The pool and exercise room is clean and we'll kept. Very clean hotel and pleasant staff!

1  Thank Swaller387
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This Capitol Sheraton hotel is fantastic we liked everything about this place from the minute we arrived. The property itself is clean, conveniently located and reasonable. President Obama stayed here so you know it must be great.
The staff makes this hotel priceless. Matt and Sandy took good care of our family after a long night of traveling. Making sure our needs were met over and above expectations. Seth, Ryan, Phillip and Michael were charming southern gentlemen who's knowledge of the city was reassuring and helpful for us tourist. Making fabulous suggestions and keeping us entertained throughout our stay. The entire team worked together with ease and it's apparent.
Our family travels often and we would return to this city just to stay here again.

1  Thank havingfunBrigantine