“Ugh”

Ranked #43 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Seattle, Washington
“Ugh”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Staff is nice, but completely incompetent. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
While we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, this review is frustrating as it does not give us an opportunity to improve. If you would like to share your details with us, please feel free to contact us with more information through our website. Thank you and safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My biggest mistake was using Priceline to bid for a hotel. I was happy with the rate I got, and happy to find that I was assigned to the Omni. I immediately read the reviews for Omni which seemed great. However, I did read that people who book through Priceline are probably going to receive the "crappier" rooms. I called ahead to ask whether the hotel renovations had been completed and I was told that that took place "a long time ago." So, I asked to please reserve us a non-smoking room and they said they could't guarantee it but they would make a note of it. There wasn't much that could be done that this point - I had already booked and paid in full. Upon arrival, everything seemed great (nice lobby, friendly staff, nice doormen) until we got off the elevator on our floor. The smoke was so thick in the hall, I knew immediately that this was going to be a horriffic experience. We were assigned to a non-renovated, smoking room. It looked like it was straight out of the 70s and it was one of the worst hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. We went back downstairs and asked to be moved to a non-smoking room and (of course) they said they were completely booked. They offered us a "deodorizer" and said we could move rooms the second night of our stay (how inconvenient). We tried to make the best of that first night but it was NOT good. The room was not acceptable and the smoke was extremely bothersome. I am mad that I was lied to over the phone and told that the hotel had finished its renovations. The second night, we were moved to a great room. It amazes me the difference between the non-renovated and the renovated. They are like night and day - literally, entirely different decor, complete updates and clean air. The second night was obviously more enjoyable but does not make up for the crap hole that we were given the first night.

Room Tip: Don't pay for parking - use street parking. Pool is very small and unimpressive.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel. The majority of our hotel has been renovated with the exception of a very small number of standard rooms that are on our floors with our suites. These will be renovated by the end of the year, and I apologize that this was not communicated correctly by our staff. We hope that when you return to Austin, you are able to come visit us again and see the changes that have been made.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I have stayed at this hotel at least 6 times in the last year. The rooms are like any Omni hotel nice and you will not be surprised. The parking is expensive for Austin at 18.00 per night. It's a good location for Austin night life or if you are in town for business downtown. Beware though every time that I book using a 3rd party service like Expedia, when you check in they will always try to give you the story that they are booked up and the only room they have left is a queen or double smoking lower floor! It's really annoying as you know that is not the case and if you stand your ground they will put you in a normal room. But as one who uses Hotwire and Expedia allot I have come to expect that kind of front desk reaction. So if I am going to be at a hotel for any length of time, its always good to pull out a little green for the one behind the desk upon check in!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Austin confuses me. For such a hip, 'weird' city, there is a distinct lack of distinctive properties. This is the third hotel I have tried in Austin, and while nice, it really was nothing special and did nothing to enhance my stay in Austin. This hotel could have been in Pittsburgh for as much Texas style as it offered. Other than the $400/night Driskill, this seems to be the case with most hotels in the area, it's like they aren't aware there is an exciting entertainment district one block over. Anyway. The rooms were nice, big, comfortable and clean. The service in the restaurant was pretty abyssmal for the two meals I ate there, but the food was decent. Wonderful front desk staff, bell staff and door staff - any personality the hotel has comes directly from these great guys. Can't say I would stay here again, for the price, the InterContinental is probably a little more interesting.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
providence
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Stayed at the Omni Austin Downtown for business - 3 nights. I travel lots for work and this was one of the best hotels and staff experiences. I had the most comfortable and accommodating stay. My one recommendation - ditch the foam pillows, provide feather/down if requested. Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: make sure you are an omni member
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank paulasw
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Thank you very much for the kind words! We appreciate your business, and hope that whenever you return to Austin, you are able to stay with us again. Thank you and safe travels!
Houston/Merida
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The Omni refinished their bathrooms since I last stayed there about 2 years ago, and they updates are very nice. We stayed during UT graduation weekend, and the hotel was booked to capacity. Management did a very nice job of handling the crowds. Be prepared to spend a lot on parking. But, that's pretty much expected with any downtown hotel.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I loved this hotel and the service.On arrival it was kind of hard finding the entrance at first. Check in was fast and staff was very nice.The room was great.I wasn't expecting the wonderful view,it was a huge room,.There was a sitting area,bar area with a sink,comfortable bed and nice bathroom.It was our anniversary so we got free strawberries and champagne.The club level was the best,afternoon drinks and great food for breakfast and afternoon which was for club level only.I wish all omni's had club level now.I will be going back to this Omni.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary with us. We know that these special occasions are very important and we are glad to hear it was a great stay for you. We can't wait to see you again.