“The Staff Make the Hotel”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #43 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Malibu
“The Staff Make the Hotel”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed for 3 nights recently and I think the staff went out of their way to be helpful, especially the concierge. The front desk and bellmen were also wonderful. We stayed on the Club floor #14 and there was construction above on floor 15 all weekend. It was interesting that they were even working on Sunday.The hotel is centrally located, near 6th St. music clubs, bars, not far from University of Texas, right near the capital building.The hot tub on the roof is closed for repairs. The gym was nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your time with us at the Omni Austin Hotel. We appreciate the great words about the staff and apologize if the renovation caused any issues for you. The renovation will be complete by mid-March and at that time we will be proud to have the best room product in Austin. Whenever your travels bring you back to Austin we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Indonesian first
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had an upgraded room way up high in this upscale hotel in downtown Austin, Texas. All was incredible until the band at a nearby bar got louder and louder. The guy at the front desk could only assure me that they would shut down by 2 am. He offered to bring me earplugs, but I just dealt with it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. We do work with the city of Austin in monitoring noise to ensure it stays within the levels allowed by the city. In the future, feel free to request a room with an atrium view as these rooms offer a quieter stay. Thank you for your time and we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Omni is in a fantastic location with exceptional service and clean facilities; what you would expect from this brand. While my expectations where not exceeded at any point during the stay, everything from breakfast to concierge service was up to par.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Cecil_Hopper
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My wife and I visited for a four day seminar recently. Without the seminar deal, the rooms were $319 per night. Everything in the room was nice but that was all. The bed was very comfortable. Location is only two blocks away from the parties on 6th Street. The hot tub on the roof was closed down for repairs. We were on the 7th floor and we could only slightly here the jack hammer doing renovations on the top floors. If I had paid over $320 a night and I had to put up with more noise.... it would have been really bad. Excellent food and drinks at the restaurant and bar.

Room Tip: Don't get close to the renovations!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you very much for your review of your time with us at the Omni Austin Hotel. We are glad that you were able to join us while you were in Austin and also able to enjoy our convenient location near 6th street. We hope that you are able to join us again whenever your travels return you to town.
west palm beach
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Omni because I got a great rate from Hot wire.I dont think I would have been as enamored with the place had I paid full price. For the $100 it was a bargain.

It has a good location close to 6th street and various other restuarants. Since I only stayed over night I can not complain about much. The rooms were basic,clean more like a three star hotel though. They have a fairly large breakfast buffet. The food was good.

Conceirge was helpful in finding us a good restaurant that evening.Perrys steak house. Which was great. We really enjoyed our meal there, where we celebrated my sons 21st birthday. Then he went partying with his friends on 6th street.

They let us have a late check out. I found the staff to be very curteous. My only complaint was that there was so much noise coming from outside the hotel at night that it kept you up. The music went into the early morning. They should put white sound machines in the room so you are not disturbed by the partying outside. Overall it was a nice place to stay given the good price we got online.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Waco, TX
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Here's hoping the general manager sees this review. I've only booked 4+ star hotels for years now, and in my opinion this hotel's rating should be dropped immediately.

The good - the room met 4 stars standards. Clean room, comfortable mattress, nice linens, furniture in good repair, reasonably deep bathtub, acceptable decorating. The staff were always smiling and professional. Valet parking was reasonably priced. We requested a late check-in and two queen beds, and had no issues. Late night room service was delivered within 30 minutes and still hot.

The bad - While waiting for room service we would have liked to watch the HD TV, but it would not turn on. I called guest services just in case I had missed a button - they offered to send someone up, but that was not something we wanted to deal with at midnight. I had known we might be in trouble when we entered the elevator and another guest said we couldn't possibly be staying on the 13th floor due to the construction. It was confirmed when the noise started early the next morning and irritated my husband until we checked out. I expect the worst rooms in the hotel when booking through a discount online travel site, but these rooms should not have been rented. .

The dangerous - the room's desk offered a convenient location to plug-in my cell phone, which I didn't try to use until the morning. When I put the charger in the outlet, it exploded. Flames literally spouted, I'm still not sure why I wasn't burned. I called guest services nearly in tears and requested immediate assistance. A repairman showed up quickly. He said he found wire fragments in the outlet which had caused the fire. He took my blackened charger and said he would look for a replacement. He returned shortly with one (presumably from lost and found as hotels don't normally stock these) and gave it and the original charger to me. Per our suggestion that as along as he was already here, he fixed the TV.

My "quick checkout" report didn't reflect the room service charges, so I went to the front desk. When asked how our stay had been by the clerk, I replied "the room rate was too high for the construction noise and fire". Frankly, I was amazed the front desk didn't already know of our issues. Presumably acting within the limits of her authority, the desk clerk apologized and offered to waive the self-parking fee. Wanting to avoid a scene as I was accompanied but a now very disgruntled husband, I didn't insist on seeing the manager, and quietly accepted her offer.

Here's why this hotel's rating should be dropped: the hotel's manager should always be told immediately by their staff when a guest's safety has been compromised. The manager of a purportedly 4-star hotel should then immediately check on that guest personally. That never occurred - the front desk apparently didn't even know about our many reported problems. I've had issues at hotels before - I've had rooms changed, fees refunded, and even a fruit and cheese tray delivered in response to those issues, and the "our apologies, please accepts" are usually communicated immediately after the occurrence, not at check-out. This was my first potentially lethal experience at a hotel, and no one with authority seemed to know or care. Waiving the self-parking fee was an entirely inadequate response to the frightening quality of this stay. I can't blame the staff for the poor rating of this review - they acted professionally within the limits of their job duties. However, the manager of this hotel needs a refresher course on caring for guest safety and satisfaction or this hotel will continue to receive reviews like this. As it should, being an obviously over-rated establishment. Presumably they got 4 stars due to the hotel chain name - they shouldn't be allowed to keep them.

Room Tip: Don't go near the top floors while construction is active.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TheGoodGeek
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you for your review of the hotel and for the positive comments about the staff and services. We do have an excellent group and generally have high ratings for guest services. I do apologize for the noise due to construction. We try our best to limit the issue by having a later start on weekends for the construcion crew. As for the "fire" I spoke to the engineer who responded to your call and he indicated that you advised him there was a spark from the outlet when you plugged your charger in. There is no damage to the desk or the actual outlet in that room. I am sorry for the scare you had as a result. It appears a former guest might have had a damaged plug that allowed a small piece of their charger to break off in the outlet. Again I am sorry for the issues you had while a guest here and would certainly welcome a call from you at any time. I do hope you will try us again in the future. Out renovation should be complete by mid March.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Major renovations going on from 7am to 7 pm...miserable experience. We were not warned of this ahead of time.
Also, housekeeping did not clean the room until well after 4pm.
Will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you for your response. We had a very difficult weekend as the city grid lost power turning the city almost completely dark for 10 hours overnight. Seems this caused far more noise than is usual. We have a full security team that deals with noise issues and they spend the night patroling the floors helping keep our guests quiet. It can be noisy at all downtown hotels as Austin is the live music capital of the world and people come downtown to have a good time. We do hope yo will visit us again and enjoy our excellent hospitality as referenced by many reviews on this site.