“Will not stay again”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 17 July 2012

First impression when i walked into the hotel was, "it's gorgeous!" But....First problem, I was traveling with a co-worker for a weekend get away from work and we asked for a double bed room. That was denied. We were given a king size room, not acceptable. The front desk said the hotel had no double rooms left, they were all booked. I mean really, all of them? Then she said she will ask her manager if there is anything that can be done. She stepped into the back for a minute and came back and said, "no, I'm sorry, we are full tonight and you are only staying for two nights." And? I kept quiet because I just wanted to relax and bit my tongue and said fine. My co worker was not pleased. Then the front desk also said something like, "oh and since you reserved through a third party it is not guaranteed you will get a double bed room anyway." Wow, really? I guess we have no right to request since we purchased through, " third party". So who is second party??? Next problem, although the room was very nice, the shower was annoyingly loud. Once I turned on the shower head, it made this very loud nails on a chalk board noise. And no vent was in the bathroom so it would get very humid fast. Third, we did not get to enjoy the rooftop pool since it's so tiny and all the lounge chair were taken. Forth, the room was really hot, we put the AC on high fan and at 60 degrees to no avail. I am really cold natured so for 60 degrees to feel hot to me, there was definitely a problem. Fifth, the worst, the walls are super thin! I seriously heard my neighbors having sex!! Although it lasted for like 2 minutes, it was so annoying that I was able to hear this. I was actually able to hear their whole conversation when I was in the bathroom or in the hallway of the room on my way out. I also noticed there was a door with a lock opposite the bathroom (to neighbors wall) which probably leads to the thier room, connecting door maybe?? Weird. I loved the fact that it so close to everything you would want to see in Austin, but I will not stay here again when I visit. So sad, I thought I was staying at a 4 star hotel. I've had better experiences at 3 star hotels but I wanted to have a glam weekend at a fab hotel with a rooftop pool, fail.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cin P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,982)

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed in a Suite. Was not disturbed by any noise all night. Room was clean and up to date. Great view of the Capitol. Food was very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChaChaFortWorth
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We were very impressed by the level of service at the Omni Austin Downtown! We had to bring our little puppy and everyone just loved her there! They brought her lots of goodies and her own bowls and mat. We were upgraded to an Executive Suite that have recently been redone. It was just gorgeous and felt like we were at home. They have a wonderful location just a block away from sixth street and in walking distance to the capitol. The room was so clean and there was actually a party in a room next door. We couldn't even hear them so the walls are very thick and we slept great in the very comfy beds!! Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We have stayed here several times before & are never dissapointed. It was our 37th anniversary when we checked in, I had booked a King - parlor room & asked for an upgrade when we arrived, telling the clerk it was our 37th anniversary - that day. She said she'd upgrade us to a King suite with a view of the atrium, but I REALLY wanted a balcony. It took some insistance on my part, she really didn't seem to want to give us what I wanted, but after talking to her manager in the back, she accomodated us. we were there for three nights (Thurs-Sun)

We were in room 1810, very close to the elevator (but never heard it from the room). It was a FANTASTIC suite. It had recently been updated. The decor was what I call "Texan".The floors were immitation hardwood - no carpet, a large granite wet bar, a table w/4 chairs, a living area w/flatscreen TV, floor to ceiling windows w/ a sliding door out to the balcony, and a half bath (with immitaion cowhide walls). The King bedroom was a bit cramped, but beautiful, also having the same window set up as the living area with access to the balcony & another large flatscreen TV.

The bathroom was to die for! It was huge with an all glass, oversized shower & granite countertops. Super, super nice.

The noise from Sixth St is LOUD at night.... until the weeeee morning hours.... but when you close the balcony doors, that noise is almost totally gone. So that was good. They offer earplugs in the room with an explanation that the noise can be disturbing to ones sleep. It didn't bother us.

The pool is on the rooftop & very HARD to get to. You take the elevator to the 20th floor, walk down the long hall to a door, then walk up an un-airconditioned stairway (triple digit heat makes that HOTTT) to the pool deck. There was an older lady struggleing to get up the stairs once when we went up there. I felt bad for her. There are no restrooms on the pool deck, you have to go back into that HOT stairwell, down the hall to a "single" bathroom. There is a locker room just off the stairwell door, which I finally decided to check out.... finding there were restrooms (both men & womens) in there. The pool is stainless steel, long & narrow. The water made your skin feel sticky. I didn't like that. But the water temp was good & the strong winds (remember you're on the 21st floor) kept you cool! They have a rooftop bar, but their margaritas left a LOT to be desired. We told the bartender & tried to make better ones, but we gave up. The pool has glass walls looking out over the city & the view is awesome!

They didn't even wish us a happy anniversary. Which kinda bothered me. My husband asked the hotel concierge to help him get me flowers delivered to our room for our anniversary & they couldn't. REALLY? The staff seems distant & just there to do a job. Very unlike the Omni La Mansion del Rio in San Antonio which bends over backward & is happy to make your stay a wonderful experience. (We had stayed there two nights prior to coming here). But this is a BUSY hotel (sold out on the Sat night we were there - our friends tried to book a room so we could hang out more together) :-(

We valet parked our car (which is new). When we got home & washed it the next day, I found a pretty nasty scratch on my lower bumper which was not done by us. We are SUPER careful. I assume they were driving it up (we came & went alot over three days) the ramp from the garage & clipped the wall. I didn't even call about it, as I have no way to prove any of their drivers did it. Just hate that my new car has a bad scratch. :-(

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I recently stayed at the Omni Austin Downtown on a leisure trip. My partner and I originally booked a regular room with a king size bed but on arrival we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. I could not have been happier with the quality and cleanliness of the room, along with the fabulous views afforded by the upper floors of the hotel. Gym facility was great (though I never went in the morning so I don't know how crowded it might be during busy times). The rooftop pool was fun, but small, and it was closed for one evening because some idiot brought a glass in the pool and broke it. Also the hot tub was out of commission during our entire stay, a definite disappointment.

The staff were helpful and kind, providing extra assistance when needed. One evening I had called down to the front desk to inquire about a vending machine because I wanted bottled water. No vending machine, but room service happily brought me two bottles of water at no charge.

I would definitely recommend the Omni to anyone interested in staying close to the downtown Austin area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank widening8horizons
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My husband and I stay here at least 4 times a year. The hotel is so accommodating! We signed up for the loyalty program, and every time we go, they ask us if we are celebrating something. We usually go for our birthdays, anniversary, and Christmas, so we let them know the reason. They almost always send up champagne and chocolate covered strawberries or something along those lines. Any time there is a minor inconvenience, they make it worth it. For example, one time, our room was not ready, so they took us to the bar and bought us drinks and an appetizer. Before our drinks were even ready, the room was ready, so they brought it to our room. They often give us free dessert or parking as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I've stayed at the Omni downtown three times over the last several years but haven't taken the time to comment until now. If you are looking for an excellent hotel in a great location with great staff and wonderful rooms, stay at the Omni. Each time I have been there it's been for business but I would certainly stay there for pleasure as well. It's centrally located close to the restaurants and bars. The parking facilities are first rate and easy to use and park yourself.

I was there again is past April and once again the service was outstanding. Highly recommended for any visit to Austin.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. I do appreciate the comments regarding our staff. The do a fine job and work to please all of our guests.