“Location, location, location, okay hotel”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Went to Austin for few days in Dec. with family for a quick 3 days out of town. Hotel has a great location, nearby 6th Street and now too far from the Congress Ave Bridge. It was very cold, so walking around at nite was kind of unpleasant. Also this hotel is at the Eastern Fringe of the 6th Street area. If you have an Eastern View from your room, you can see Stubbs BBQ and the nearby Salvation Rescue Mission for the homeless. So when walking around at night, best to keep to the West and South of the Hotel.

Check in was OK, got our room, which was a King Suite. Very good sleeper sofa, which we had to call downstairs to make up each nite. They were very quick about it. King size bed in bedroom was ok, kind of soft in the middle. Bathroom was very spacious and well appointed with shower, no tub. Two sinks and plenty of mirrors and a closet were in the bathroom. No issues with plumbing or water pressure.

Front room was also well appointed with refrigerator, sink and coffee maker. Also a separate minibar. Front room and bedroom had flat screen TV. They do not have a waste paper receptacle in the front room, which I thought was kind of odd.

As for the hotel itself, it is part of a business complex, so if you have a room with a western exposure, you are facing a multistory lobby and office windows. A little noisy, they give you ear plugs for the noise that can drift up to the 18th floor from 6th Street on Saturday nite. We were not there on a Sat. nite, and did not need the ear plugs. Black out curtains were needed in the morning. Did not use the gym. Concierge was only moderately helpful.

There is not much in the way of dining amenities in the hotel and the only place to get a cup of coffee after hours was in the bar. Also no rental car facility in the hotel, have to walk about 5 blocks to get to local Avis. Overnite parking is $20 in a very small and cramped garage, which is shared with the business side of the building. By the way, if you need a car, Zip Cars are available nearby if you need a car for a few hours.

Austin was fun, great BBQ, lots of night clubs and bars. Also enjoyed Texas State Museum and South Congress Street. Did not get to explore the Warehouse District, but did get to sample some of the food trucks. But it can get very cold at nite in Dec., especially with the wind blowing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,983)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed for six nights at this hotel in Austin, and while I wasn't blown away, I thought it was as solid of a stay as one could expect. The hotel is undergoing some renovations and the rooms were a bit tired, but the staff was exceptional and the location was very good as well. I would have no hesitation about returning to this hotel if I came back to Austin.

Positives:
- Seemed like the best value to me - I did a lot of research, and received a great government rate, but even at non-government rates, it was competitive with "lesser" hotels in what is a pretty expensive town. I saw refundable "leisure rates" of around $143 per night.
- The Select Guest program (which is obviously not exclusive to this hotel) offers good perks - morning beverages delivered to your door, pressing and shoe shine, free internet, and the like.
- The room was a nice size (good size bathroom as well), nicely appointed and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. There were numerous outlets, an adequate workspace, and plenty of natural light (big windows overlooking the atrium, in my case).
- Had a nice size restaurant and bar on site, although I did not try them. It seemed pleasant and always had some activity. The hotel is part of an office complex, which also includes a small gift/convenience shop, a bank/ATM, and some others that I did not check out.
- Though I did not have the opportunity to use it due to the weather, there is a rooftop pool with nice views of Austin off of the side.
- The staff was lovely and responsive to all of my needs and questions, at both the front desk and concierge desk. The Select Guest manager, Ben, contacted me before my stay and was responsive to emails as well. I've stayed at hotels where I have had the opportunity to be friendlier/more social with staff due to the setup or usage of hotel facilities, but I've never experienced a more competent and attentive staff. They helped put it over the top for me.

Negatives:
- The room was not exceptional, and there was limited drawer space. It was manageable for me for a one-person, six-day stay, but a couple or family might struggle.
- For a luxury hotel, the TV was pretty small (32") and had limited HD service - the broadcast networks and a few major cable stations (e.g. - ESPN was the only sports channel in HD despite the hotel getting FS1, NBC Sports, etc.)
- Parking may be a bit pricey - I didn't rent a car, but I believe it was $20 for self-parking or $26 for valet
- Rooms overlooking the atrium may be noisy - there was a reception while I was at the hotel that used the lobby/restaurant/bar area for part of the time, and I could hear noise consistently throughout the time that I was in my room.

This is a good hotel, by any measure - if I could get the same rate, I would certainly return with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor to avoid street or atrium noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We appreciate you taking time to post such a detailed review of your recent stay. We're happy to hear your experience was comfortable and we do thank you for the constructive feedback you provided. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Omni is "eh"...nothing fantastic but not terrible. The reason to stay here is because of the location. You're one block off 6th street where all the action is. The only other hotel I saw right in the heart of the action was the Driskell. The people at the front desk were really nice and the rooms were clean, which is #1 in my book. I guess I give it an "eh" because it's not going to blow you away but it does the trick if you're coming to Austin to hang out on 6th and downtown, and you just need a place to sleep. I didn't try the food or go to the bar (no need to when you have amazing BBQ & sushi around the corner and $2 drinks on 6th). My biggest issue with the rooms is how incredibly loud the doors are. The doors slam in the hallway and it's quite loud when people go in/out. Also, every time the person in the next room over turned on their shower, there was this loud, jarring screech in our bathroom. I mean, it jarred us out of bed and only lasted like 5 seconds but for "sophisticated luxury" that shouldn't be happening in any room. My last comment is that they might want to get rid of the clothe shower curtains because they have a musty smell. Anyway, I'd stay here for the location but for $250 a night, I might try to stay in a slightly newer hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Fantastic stay at Omni in Austin. Great location, great service and great food. From arrival to departure the staff catered to all our needs and requests. They had a lovely holiday decoration in the lobby along with apple cider to sip on. It's the little touches that make the difference. A definite must to stay here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Great friendly staff, great location, comfortable rooms, Felt welcome from time I walked in to time I left , staff really seemed to enjoy their job. very clean hotel, rooms were nice and clean and quiet. No hall way noise.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Location was great. Easy walk to great Ausin attractions and restaurants.

Comfortable room and beautiful bed coupled with some very special service.

Breakfasts were very good although they could use some new toasters, current toasters were seriously dodgey!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your review. Our Director of Food & Beverage has purchased new toasters. We appreciate your feedback and hope you have the opportunity to return in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here for SXSW last year and will be my first choice anytime in Austin. Service, property, and dining are all excellent. It's a 10 minute walk from SXSW conference, but well worth it. Slightly quieter than the bustle of the Hilton, and that's a very welcome thing if you're in town for any sort of business conference. Guest rooms are lovely, staff is extremely friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business