“Enjoyable stay!”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #43 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I spent 3 days here. The Omni is very centrally located. We easily walked to 6th street bars and restaurants. Our room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. We never heard any outside noises, so we slept great. Overall, very satisfied with the Omni. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Omni Austin Hotel Downtown

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Was good. The Hotel is clean, very comfortable and very nice. The location was great. We were able to walk to 6th street and close to convenient store. Our only complaint would be the slow elevator service. At times only one was working.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hotel is part of an office building rooms were fair, service was good, Just was not as we expected based on the reviews and web site description. Stayed at a lot nicer hotels for lessor price. Do maid paying a premium but expect a premium experience. Direction to get their by staff were bad drove around for 20 min trying to find, address was one street but you enter on another.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here on a cross-country roadtrip so that we could be close to downtown and the location was perfect. We could easily walk to restaurants and going to see the bats on the Congress Avenue Bridge was a breeze.

However, I did not feel welcome at this hotel at all. The front desk staff was very rude to my husband. My mother and I went up to the room with the luggage while he parked our car. When he came into the lobby, they would not tell him what room we were in and they also refused to call up to our room so we could okay his entry. It was one of those hotels where I felt like I was a nuisance for being a guest. At the rooftop pool, they had water available but no cups or glasses. I called down to housekeeping to request glasses for the water, but after 45 minutes no glasses had arrived and we had decided to go inside.

For a hotel that is supposed to have high level service, we were very disappointed in our stay.

An upside would be the clean rooms? And the location, but that's about it!

Room Tip: We had a room on a higher level and didn't hear any noise at all during the night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shannon S
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks so much for your comments. I apologize for the service lapses you mentioned. I did note that the name of your husband was not on the room. I would think that is why the desk agents were reluctant to give him a key. I do hope you will come to see us again if your travels bring you back to Austin.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very convenient to explore all the fun of Austin. It is just one block off of 6th St and also very close to warehouse district. We had a corner city view on 10th floor. Room was nicely laid out with a decent view. Comfortable beds! Bathroom was a corner layout with great windows. Loved the rooftop pool & views. Nice lounge with good food & service in a pretty atrium setting. Great breakfast in room. Overall, We were very pleased. Only downside was weak water pressure in shower.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jlrb07

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your accommodations. Please accept our apologies for the challenges you experienced with water pressure. We appreciate the constructive feedback so we may address the issue. We hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Close to downtown and the Capitol, easy walk to Ladybird Lake. Comfortable room. Cute little pool with great rooftop view but too small for swimming. Charges for wifi unless you become an Omni member.

Our room was on the 6th floor, facing the street and it wasn't noisy from the street but our room didn't overlook 6th Street.

Room Tip: Even numbers are overlooking the street. Our room 604 didn't have a great view, but I would pre...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Omni Downtown Austin for a conference. This was my first stay at this particular location, though I have stayed at many other hotels in Austin, and my expectations for an Omni property was pretty high. The experience was a mixed bag of good and bad and just odd. So I will break it into categories:
Location: Good location if you are doing things downtown near capitol and want to hang around 6th street.
Room location: I have a standard boiler plate "Upper Floor End of Hallway - Light Sleeper" on all of my reservations. They accommodated. However, I did not realize the ice machine is also located at this same location. Most hotels I stay at they are more centered and near the elevator. So that wasn't extremely helpful being a light sleeper.
ROOM: was spacious enough, king bed, good view of east Austin, comfortable. Nice bathroom.
Price: Its the OMNI and its downtown Austin, so ...
Appearance: Large and impressive from the outside. Oddly laid out on the inside. It is actually two tower type structures encased in glass like a huge atrium, with hotel on one side and actual business offices on the other. So you get a mixed group of people at the restaurant, bar, and lobby areas. you can see inside of all the offices like bugs in a jar as there are no curtains.
Pool and fitness: Pool is rather small and located on the roof. Its a great view of East Austin from there. Had to take flights of stairs to pool as could not figure out how to get elevator (If one was available) to take us there. Fitness room was located at the bottom floor back of hotel adjacent to the offices, and hotel guests have to walk around the center of the lobby and around the restaurant area to access it. A bit odd in workout clothes and being sweaty to have to do so.
Elevators: the parking garage elevators is located in one location, then you walk around to another area to access the hotel elevators.
Check In and Conceirge: located just inside and to the left of the main entrance. It was okay, nothing impressive in terms of visuals but functional.
PETS: Yes. They allow people to bring their pets with them I found this a bit odd. I saw a few small dogs on leashes walking about with people.
FLEAS: I got some bites. Hoped it wasn't bed bugs and checked the mattresses and sheets and saw nothing. Next day talking to fellow conference goer who said he had bites and saw the fleas and got a room change immediately. I did not receive additional bites so I believe I got bit in the lobby or elevator. Fleas. Good grief.
ROACH: Yes. Last morning of stay I was reaching into my overnight bad which was open in the bathroom when I heard something moving. I stepped back and a large roach (not a water bug) emerged and perched on top of my bag. I killed it. I then notified the front desk in person who apologized for the issue. I received a phone call from a vey nice person offering apologies and a late check out or late breakfast, both I declined as I was scheduled to leave in just over an hour anyway.
RESTAURANT: Overall good. Lots of choices. Coffee bar in front. Lots of the business people were going there. A bit pricey but hey, its downtown Austin.
Overall cleanliness: needs some improvement. Musty smell. Carpets appear to be getting old. A light bulb was out in bathroom in middle of ceiling. The ice bucket was more than half full of melted water, which I presume was from the previous guest's stay and the bucket was not cleaned and bag changed. I did not mention these to the hotel as it was a minor inconvenience, but tells me a lot about attention to detail.
Between the fleas and the roach incident I got that "itchy all over" feeling for my 5 hour trip home. As soon as I got home I left all of my travel clothes and bags in the garage and took a hot shower. Only bringing clothes in to wash and dry.
All the staff I encountered were fairly friendly and helpful when approached, including concierge, front desk, restaurant staff, and one of the young guys out front working the main parking area.
In terms of cleanliness, attention to detail, etc., this was not the level of hotel I expected from the Omni brand. With so many options in Austin area, they really need to step up their game in areas of cleanliness and day to day maintenance. This was the first time I've stayed at this level of hotel and felt unclean when leaving.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business