“Overpriced and outdated...poor customer service”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #43 of 203 Hotels in Austin
TX
“Overpriced and outdated...poor customer service”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

This hotel needs updating and the front desk staff needs customer service training. The location is great, but that's the last positive thing about this hotel. The bedding and decorations looked like they were at least ten years old. This hotel has not earned the AAA Four Diamond award in three years now and it is obvious why that has happened. Mismanagement and lack of attention to detail were at every turn. Not the experience that one should have at a four star hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 26 May 2009
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. Unfortunately, we do have several guestroom floors that have not yet been renovated but are scheduled to be completed in the near future. Please accept our apologies for any lapse in customer service encountered during your visit. Every Associate goes through extensive training in this regard and we’re very sorry we fell short. This hotel has maintained its 4 Diamond status since 1994 and we hope you will return to allow us to share the top quality service that is usually customary at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The location couldn't be better. It's within walking distance to everything downtown Austin has to offer. The hotel was very elegant and luxurious, just what one would expect from an Omni. Check in was great and the staff was friendly. I got to my assigned room, opened the door and there was a man changing! Apparently the guy checked out and went back to the room. The staff was very friendly and apologetic. They handled it very well. I got my room changed and got upgraded to the concierge floor where there was complimentary drinks and appetizers. The room was immaculate and my stay was perfect! (Not to mention that the rate for military was $99!)

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 1 May 2009
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the recovery efforts of our staff following the error in room assignment. Please know that this certainly is not a common occurrence. We're pleased you enjoyed the amenities on our Club Level floor and hope to see you again in the near future.
Missouri
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I was there for 5 days for a conference in the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable with plenty of space to stretch out and work. Bathroom was fine, although a bit dim in the shower. The 3 lights over the vanity didn't illuminate the shower after drawing the curtain.

The hotel is huge with lots of elevators, but I ended up waiting half a minute or a minute at times. There's a restaurant in the lobby I didn't eat at along with a separate bar area where I had some drinks, a light lunch, and spent time working on my laptop (convenient outlets on the floor to plug into). You can sign up for free Internet access by becoming a Select Guest. Fitness room was great - lots of equipment and even was sort of crowded at times.

During the actual meeting, the food and banquet service was really excellent. No rubber chicken or cold potatoes. Seminar rooms were comfortable and the staff responded quickly to requests to adjust the temperatures or add chairs.

The hotel is close to the Capitol and the downtown area where there are lots of restaurants, bars, and shops. Nightlife seems to be very active - live music everywhere. Definitely worth strolling around downtown if you're staying at the Omni.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the comfort and layout of our newly renovated guestrooms and fitness center. I'm pleased you enjoyed the service of our kitchen, banquet, and engineering staff involved in servicing your meeting. We welcome you as a new Select Guest member and hope you will return again in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We stayed one night, April 5, 2009, for Monday morning plans at the capitol. We've stayed at this Omni several times in the past and it is my 15 year old son's favorite Austin hotel. It was the perfect location for this trip as we could easily walk back and forth to the capitol. Check-in was a breeze. A king bed was quickly switched for two doubles at my request. I joined Omni's free Select Guest program just prior to this trip and received the upper level floor I'd requested, along with an extra newspaper, free wi-fi, and free morning beverages delivered (albeit late) by room service. All this despite the fact I booked on Priceline for $83/night. (The Select Guest membership also offers other perks, including free pressing of two clothing items.) The room was immaculate and quiet, and the beds wonderfully comfortable. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure in a lovely bathroom. Two robes were provided in the room, along with the usual amenities (soaps, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, lotion, shower cap, shoe shine cloth, cotton balls and Q-Tips). A coffee pot with regular, decaf and tea bags is provided. Flat screen tv, stocked mini-bar and ridiculously-priced bottled water are also standard. The new fitness center is larger than the old with more machines, all looking brand new. I preferred the old upper-level location to the new one where you have to cross the public lobby/atrium, but it wasn't a huge deal. As always, the metal rooftop pool and hot tub were a hit with my son. The pool is heated, but was still a bit cold for me this time of year, but the hot tub with the sweeping view of the city was a delight. Parking is very expensive at $18/day for self-park and $25 (I think) for valet parking. Unfortunately, that is not unusual in downtown Austin, and wasn't so bad since I could skip the capitol-parking search. Finally, my son left a favorite jacket in the room which the Omni staff quickly Fed-Ex'd to us. All in all, it was a great stay and the Omni would be a first choice in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank tcut
GenMgrAustin, Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 17 April 2009
Thank you for the kind posting regarding our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. The new fitness center is over twice the size of the old and offers much more equipment and amenities. Hope to see you again soon.
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 28 March 2009

I stayed at the Omni because I was traveling with my wife and 21 month old son and they had suites available with "fully equipped kitchens". I booked a one bedroom suite. When we went to check in they told me that had a smoking room available. I notified them front desk clerk that I did not want a smoking room especially considering I am traveling with a 21 month old. The agent went to the back office and told me that they only had 2 bedrooms available but they could have the housekeeping staff sanitize the room. I told her again that I would not take a smoking room and she went to the back office again and came back to tell me that they were booking me into their presidential suite. This seemed to be great service or I thought it was at that moment. When we went to the room we were disappointed right at the moment we walked in. The suite was out of the 1970s and the fully equipped kitchen was very large but had nothing to cook with. There was a stove, microwave, and oven but not one pot or pan. The kitchen was from the 70s with old appliances. The paint was peeling on the doors and the blinds covering the floor to ceiling windows were broken. The dining room table had chips all over it and the chairs and couch were stained. You would also think with the money you would be spending on a 2 bedroom suite you would at least have a flat screen TV. I read that they renovated the rooms but they could not have touched the suites. We noticed it was warm and figured the AC might have been set high so we lowered the temp but nothing worked. I called guest services and 20 minutes later a maintenance person showed up. After one hour and 3 mx guys, I was told it probably would not work. The mx person then offered to switch me to the room next door and also got the key for me. The second room we went to was nicer but again the kitchen had no supplies except for plates, utensils, and glasses. Not once did management call to apologize. The Residence Inn has nicer suites than this place. We ordered room service twice and both times they forgot to bring the whole order. Also, the lobby atrium is like a mini office park. I can not understand how this hotel receive four diamonds. Maybe the regular rooms are nicer.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Terribly noisy place. I swear the hallways amplify the noise. People talking in the halls and pounding on doors throughout the night kept me from getting much sleep. When I checked with the front desk, they said that the hotel is close to 6th street and they get a lot of people who are there to party. This is enough of a known problem that the hotel makes guests sign a statement agreeing to be liable for a $500 surcharge if they have late night parties in their rooms, not that it helped me.

Also, the network access control system for the WiFi wasn't working so I couldn't get any work done in my room.

I hope to move to the Hilton tomorrow.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed 13 February 2009

Would have rather stayed at a Holiday inn or a Hilton.... 4 stars is a stretch...

Cons
Knocked on doors at 9 to clean the rooms... make sure to put up your privacy sign! Or you're getting woken up!

Small rooms with no view. Good luck starting into office cubicles in a towel. Pretty claustrophobic since you can't open the windows.

Nothing is free. No breakfast. Food in lobby is very expensive!

Cable has no travel channel, no disney, no discovery, no vh1, mtv ... very limited.

I had to sign a no party waiver. Which is fine but I just felt like the hotel was babysitting me. If I'm paying 300+ to stay somewhere I don't think that they have a right to tell me what I can't do. If I am not disruptive ... no harm no foul. They would lose more guests if their location wasn't right near 6th or congress because thats the only thing they have going for them.

No AIRPORT SHUTTLE!!!

Pros
Smells ridiculously good in the lobby.

Staff was really nice.

Really clean.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank helladirl2