“Gorgeous, but expensive”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #39 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 10 September 2009

The hotel is lovely, very posh and the service is friendly. The location is also excellent. It is very expensive, however, and they have extra charges for everything, including internet access.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2009

Thank you for your feedback. With membership to our Select Guest Program, guests receive complimentary wireless internet in guestrooms. We hope you will consider becoming a member and look forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,934)

Reviewed 30 August 2009

I booked this hotel over the phone directly through Omni reservations. I needed a large open suite with a central location and was very pleased with the 1 bedroom suite floor plan the Omni Downtown Austin shows online and which was described to me over the phone... when i reserved the room i was also told if I needed to check in early I could easily do so. The gentleman over the phone told me this should not be a problem at all and just to call ahead and make sure the room was ready, he even supposedly made note on my reservation I needed a 1 pm check-in. Well, after calling 3 times to see if my room was ready I was finally told the room would not be ready until 2:55 pm (check in is at 3). That's fine, I guess I shouldn't have expected the room to be ready before check-in, it just would've been nice to not been told it would. Check in went smoothly, went up to our room, open the door and see the room we got was NOTHING like the one described to me over the phone or pictured on their website. WOW what a disappointment!!!! However, after going back downstairs to check-in and describing this HUGE issue with them we were immediately upgraded to a very spacious 2 bedroom suite with a great view of the capitol and UT tower with no qualms at all from Omni. They were actually very apologetic and sympathetic to our needs. Now the suite itself was dated to say the least....gaudy gold fixtures, stained carpet, chipped tile and cabinets....the room was tired and not updated since probably 1987 but it met our needs for space perfectly! The other annoying thing about this hotel is that it is locked down like Fort Knox. You have to register all guests and you are carded after 10 pm to get up to your room by a security guard. Finally, when we got our bill under the door we were charged for both valet parking and self parking. That was also annoying but again it was taken care of immediately by check-in and we were credited back our money. I would stay here again but only if I got a really good rate online…the location is unbeatable and the customer service was great.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank pamela_berman
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2009

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments regarding our customer service when rectifying your issues. In regards to our suites, we are scheduled for a full renovation of our suites in the near future and hope you will return to experience our new accommodations after the renovation has been completed.

Reviewed 18 August 2009

I have now stayed at the downtown Omni several more times since my last posting and still have nothing but rave reviews for their staff. I have nothing but compliments for Allison, Cesar, and Manny. These employees love their jobs and it shows. The staff here is always willing to go the extra mile. My room is always immaculate, and room service is speedy. I love the turn down service and the great concierge who is always willing to point you in the right direction for great restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank RadTravelerMidwest
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2009

Thank you for your positive comments. We pride ourselves on striving to provide outstanding customer service through our associates. I will share your comments with our staff. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 July 2009

Starting with the arrival and check in we were immediately bombarded by security staring and following us from the garage into the hotel. As I approached the desk the clerk was a very rude and abrasive person. He refused to attempt to arrange our multiple room reservation to get the rooms closer together. He then charged my Visa before asking if I wanted it charged, it was to hold the room, and I have not seen a credit to date. I feel the Omni is trying to save a certain reputation that they may have had in the past, but they are not going to win customers back by treating adults like they are staying in a dorm. After dinner in your 6th st district and experiencing your fantastic 4th st entertainment district my party returned to the Omni and the scene was that of a lower quality night club. There were fights in the valet area, drunk underage women scantly clad and throwing up, and a line from the elevators to the front door. Security was checking IDs at a velvet rope in front of the elevators and had the mentality of a bouncer. As they harassed one of the parties in our group several people sneaked behind them and as we attempted to point them out there response was less than interested. There were a number of non guests hanging around the lobby area, lots of men harassing women that were alone and even with their significant others, the men were very loud and disrespectful. Once past the security ropes the hallways smelled of marijuana and puke. The parting continued until 4 or 5 am, with doors being slammed fights and arguments in the halls. DO NOT stay here with your family over the weekend, I foresee as the school year gets closer it will get worse. Omni IF you want to be an upscale hotel raise your rates so that you avoid a lower class clientele.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jusitnb
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and will look into the areas in which you highlighted in your review.

Reviewed 30 July 2009

I stayed at the Omni last week and had the absolute worst experience I have ever had at an hotel. First the reception guy, Chris, I do not think could be any more ruder to a guest. Second we found 3 Security guards sleeping on DUTY!!! We later found out that 3 vehicles were broken into in the parking lot. Then the security guards that were awake harassed my friend, who is black, saying that he wasn't a register guest and that he "didn't belong at this nice hotel!" We then went and showed this racial profiling rent-a-cop my friends name on the room check in sheet and his reply was "Well guess there is a first time for everything!" When we finally got up to our room, our neighbors were smoking marijuana all night and the great security refused to do anything about it. Our room had hot water on and off and the sheets smelled like a 1950's smokey hotel room! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2009

The hotel looks tired - lots of award plaques displayed, but they were all dated.

Lots of outside noise - knew to expect this, but I just didn't think it would be that bad. But really, there is nothing they can do, considering their location to 6th Street. Would be a perfect location if you are a 6th Street fan, as you would be down on 6th Street enjoying the fabulous live music, instead of in the hotel room with a pillow over your head. We gave up, and just watched movies until the wee hours of the morning.

Room and bathroom are average. A fridge in the room would be a nice addition. Teenagers enjoyed the rooftop pool and hot tub, but the stairwell to the top was eerie and fitlhy. And the pool bath area was creepy as well.

The front desk clerk was attentive, but not welcoming. Valet parking attendants were very prompt and attentive, never had to wait on the car. The parking is steep, but in line with other downtown hotel parking rates.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank mom23boyz
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2009

Thank you for your comments. We do appreciate your feedback. We’re sorry you were disturbed by the noise from the entertainment district, but pleased to hear you enjoyed our rooftop pool and valet service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2009

I frequent Austin for weekend getaways and chose the Omni for the first time, as I got a great rate on Hotwire. First I will say the rooms were small but nice. The housekeeping was very friendly, as were the bellhops. However, the first night I came back to lobby after a night out with friends. I am in my 30s, and not some college kid cruising in drunk from 6th street. Long story short, a very low class group of girls drunk and looking for a fight were provoking my friends in elevator. As we continued to ignore them, this angered this and I ended up being punched. After filing a police report, she wasnt kicked out of hotel! The mgr and general mgr were RUDE and not accomodating after the girl threatened to finish me off later. THey said I could change hotels at MY expense. So you can get kicked out for noise as policy says at check in, but clock someone in face and you can stay! Mgmt handled POORLY. Also, they put made up charges on our bill. Had to argue that as well. The guests at pool were so trashy like something at a motel 6. NEVER EVER AGAIN would I stay here. Very disappointing stay.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank jennydallas
GenMgrAustin, Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2009

It is unfortunate that when people return to the hotel at 3AM and get into an argument with other guests the hotel is blamed. The hotel in this case offered to work with the 3rd party to refund their money and offered to assist them in finding another hotel on the busy 4th of July weekend. We assisted them with the police and they refused to press charges so the police could do nothing. We never asked them to leave the hotel. They wanted to leave and have the hotel pay for them to move to another hotel. We felt it was their responsibility. In all cases we do all we can to assist our guests to insure they have a wondeful time at this property. Safety and security is a top priority at all times.