“Perfect location in the heart of Austin”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Philadelphia
“Perfect location in the heart of Austin”
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I came to Austin for a meeting in late February and stayed two nights at this hotel. The location is great. It is within walking distance of all downtown office buildings, the state capitol, restaurants and the famous music clubs on Sixth Street and Red River.

Service is very friendly - from the doorman to the front desk clerks to the concierge - everyone I met was helpful.

For an early riser like me, there is a small kiosk that opens at 6:30 am, serving Starbucks coffee, bagels, scones and yogurt cups with fruit and granola. The breakfast buffet at the main hotel restaurant in the atrium is reasonably priced and very good with many options, including a made to order omelet station, hot dishes such as breakfast pizza, pancakes and the usual breakfast meats, and a cold buffet of fresh cut fruits, berries, dried fruits, granola, yogurt, etc.

A few of the people who attended my meeting and stayed at this hotel reported hearing very loud "YEEEEEEEEEEEE-HA!!!!" yells (hey, it IS Texas!) down on the street at the 7th Street end of the hotel around 2:30 am that kept them awake for a half hour or so. I heard nothing. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room facing the interior atrium or at the 8th Street end of the hotel.

The bed was very comfortable and everything was impeccably clean. The only negative comment is about the business center - very expensive Internet access. Why is free Internet in the business center such a rarity outside of the Northeast?

Except for the expensive Internet, this is a great hotel that I would stay in again when I come to Austin.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 8 March 2010
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the customer service of our staff, location, facilities and food offerings. We do offer complimentary wireless internet in our guestrooms with membership to our Select Guest Program. Once again, we appreciate your feedback and thank you for the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Indonesian first
Philly
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I was sitting in my room in the Omni, working on a presentation, when I realized I could hear a voice. It was a person in the room next to me having a phone conversation. She was speaking in a normal voice, but I could hear her conversation clearly.

The management was able to move me to a room that had empty rooms on either side, but that isn't something you should have to rely on.

Otherwise, this is a perfctly nice hotel, but the walls are FAR too thin for a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 22 February 2010
Thank you for your review. I'm terribly sorry you were inconvenienced by noise from the adjoining room. I'm pleased to hear we had the availability to move you to another guestroom and you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay. We hope you will return in the future.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Stayed 3 weekend nights in a corner room on the 11th floor. So many good things to say about the room and hotel location.
Highly recommend enrolling in Omni's Select Guest program prior to arrival. Membership is free, and the perks are great.
Room decor appeared new and modern. Large flat screen TV, spacious desk area with chair, chair and ottoman near large window. City views from our room were good. Hotel tower shares atrium and main floor with office tower. Have not seen this before.
This is a great location if you want to enjoy downtown, visit the UT campus, or use as a hub for touring the area. If you are capable of moderate walking, there is much to see within a few blocks. For those with a car, street parking is free Sat/Sun.
If I have to criticize anything it would be pool hours. Pool closes at 11pm, which is fine unless you return after a night out and need a quick swim or hot tub. It's also a rooftop pool, so no one near to bother.
Overall, a flawless visit to this Omni. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
Thank you for your positive review. We welcome you to our Select Guest Program and do hope you enjoy the member benefits. We're pleased that you enjoyed our guestrooms, location and facilities and look forward to having you back.
Houston, TX
Reviewed 1 February 2010

I joined the hotel's Select Guest program before arriving. That should have brought amenities like morning newspaper of choice, morning beverages of choice, extra housekeeping/turndown service, etc.

All was well on arrival. Room nice, desk helpful and courteous.

We never got the promised newspapers.

The beverage order was wrong (black tea instead of herbal tea).

And the extra, evening housekeeping? That was the ONLY housekeeping service on Saturday. We finished our conference (in that hotel) at 4:30, and the maids were only then getting to our room. Instead of having a couple of hours to unwind before we went out to dinner, we had to go find something else to do then.

Complaining to the desk, and to the manager, brought no response other than the excuse that they start maid service late on Saturday because the 6th street barhoppers like to sleep late on Saturday.

After coming in at 2:00 a.m. and making lots of noise. After lobby bar noise that ended at 11:00 p.m. that could be heard all the way up to the 12th floor.

They assume that you know this. They assume that if you want housekeeping service before supper time you will think to ask for it.

Restaurant is not vegetarian friendly--strange for Austin. No meatless options available. But plenty in the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay and hope will return to our hotel for two reasons; to notice the improvements made in the inefficiencies you identified and to allow us to share with you the top-quality service and hospitality that are usually customary at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 January 2010

We went to Austin last weekend for a wedding. We bid last minute on Priceline and "won" the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown for less than half their AAA rate! After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was super nervous about our stay. Maybe they are true, maybe not. What I do know is that we had an amazing stay. We joined their rewards program before we left and enjoyed free wifi and customized room options. We faced the interior, were on a high floor, and away from the elevators. Our room was quiet. I think I heard maybe 5 doors shut and 2 people talking in the hallway the whole time (normal hotel sounds, none during the night). The service was outstanding. Our toilet had the most minor leaking problem. We didn't even really need to say anything but we casually mentioned it on our way out for the day. When we arrived in our room that night, there was an apology letter, a small box of local made chocolates, and it seems the repair was done within minutes of us telling them. Also, in regards to the night time situation, we stayed out until 1:30 on a Friday night and 12:00 on Saturday night. There was no "party line" to get into the hotel. There is just the concierge station with a guy asking to see your ID to make sure you are a registered guest. It was actually quite nice. We did not see or hear anyone else when we came home for the night. Overall, we had an amazing stay. They are making every effort to win over customers.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeaktoPeak
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 29 January 2010
We thank you for the positive review. Your recognition of our efforts to ensure every guest has an amazing and comfortable stay is much appreciated. We welcome you as a new Select Guest Member and look forward to your next visit.
Washington,DC
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I visited the hotel for a conference in January, 2010. A prior fan of Omni, this hotel did not disappoint and was a great example of why this is a wonderful brand in which to stay.

Pros
1. Roomy room with comfortable bed, inviting shower and standard Omni amenities
2. Wonderful service from every staffer at the front desk and bell service
3. Free wifi with Omni Select Guest (free service)
4. Convenient location to downtown attractions and eateries

Cons
1. Loud pumping bass noise from nearby club

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 25 January 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our location, facilities and customer service. We do monitor decibel readings from 6th street and work closely with the city by reporting any noise violations that affect our hotel guests. We look forward to your next visit.
California
Reviewed 11 January 2010

It makes me angry that you pay all of this money for a hotel room at a 4 star establishment and they try to rip you off for something so basic. They might as well have charged me for cable too. I know that the manager is going to respond to this review and tell me that I can join the "rewards" club at the omni and I can get it for free.... So you can sell my name and address to your affiliates-I don't think so! Other than the above mentioned your hotel is lovely and the service was excellent.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, 15 January 2010
Hello,

You are correct if you join our loyalty program you receive not only free WIFI but morning beverages, airline points and much more. It is one of the best if not the best program in the industry. And on top of that none of your information is sold or shared with anyone!! In fact if you don't want mailings or e-mails regarding the program you simply opt out and we don't try to contact you. I will tell you that all major 4 Star, 4 Diamond hotels charge for WIFI unless you are part of their program. I do appreciate you positive comments and hope you take my response in a positive light. Feel free to phone me personally and I would be happy to explain our program and company.