I recently visited Austin and was reccomened this hotel due to its location and easy access to my weekends destinations. Any reasonable traveler knows what to expect from hotels and thus knows how to handle normal hotel problems. The main problem at the Red Lion is that Customer Service is very inconsistent and sometimes nonexistant. The first strange thing I encounterd is I interrupted the clerks at the counter talking to each other on how the hotel was changing names...continuing to talk to each other as I stood there.... and not really paying attention to me. I know this happens at any customer service counter so I kind of went along with it and got the basic amount of attention needed. The rooms are only acceptable but an impending rennovation with example at the desk signals future improvment. But, after 20 calls with no answer to Room service I had to call the front desk only to be told that the "understaffed" restaurant rarely answers the calls and they often "roll up here." I was told of the great seafood at a neighboring restaurant that was in walking distance. Okay, I guess I will take my money somewhere else.
The same type of delays were evident when I called for a working iron...the houskeeper in the hallway could not communicate with me but she did tell a supervisor and an extra set of towels were delivered to me instead. I called the desk again where a female then told me that she was the only one on duty (due to her manager "driving somewhere without telling her" and her replacement staff late for work) and that she would do her best to radio in my request as soon as possible. Okay, now I go downstairs to expedite things myself. The desk clerk was indeed alone and having to check in people, run to the phone box to answer incoming calls and then a loud and annoying house radio kept going off every few minutes. There were 3 people in front of me and it took me 39 minutes to ask for the iron instead of towels. I ased for a manager only to be told that he was still "out." NO other manager was made available...I guess they were all "out."
This is the problem with hotels today, trying to make a buck with no little staff and bad service. I dont care what this hotel turns into or how renovated it gets. It is clear that an uncaring and untrained hotel management staff runs this place poorly to maximize profit or out of pure laziness. The decent interior does make up for the inferior service. The employees as a whole were basic in their customer service skills (the bar was a bright spot) and some showed pure displeasure with the working enviroment. This place needs some serious help from somewhere and must be run by a management staff that convenience stores turned down. Stay away if you are short on patience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located at the Crossroads of the Capitol City minutes from Downtown Austin and the Texas State Capitol, guests appreciate our dedication in ensuring each stay is enjoyable. Our convenient central location at I-35 & Hwy 290 provides easy access to the area s top corporate centers & major attractions. Super Shuttle offers transportation to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS). Relax in one of 293 newly renovated guest rooms featuring the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage . The executive floor, with private elevator key access, offers upgraded amenities and an executive lounge serving breakfast, and beer & wine each weekday. Complimentary wireless high-speed Internet in all guest rooms, lobby, and business center make it easy to catch up on those last minute e-mails. Workouts in the fitness center are convenient with 24-hour guest key access, and afterwards enjoy a refreshing dip in our outdoor pool or Jacuzzi. Guests enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Crossroads Grille, and then also enjoy your favorite beverage in Crossroads Lounge. With one of the largest ballrooms in the area, the Crowne Plaza is The Place to Meet offering 12,000 square feet of event space. Area Businesses: Dell, Applied Materials, Samsung, Dell Children s Hospital, IBM, Intel, Siemens, & University of Texas. Area Attractions: 6th Street, Warehouse District, UT, Austin Convention Center, Barton Springs, LBJ Presidential Library, Arboretum, Round Rock AAA baseball team and Disch Falk Field. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Crowne Plaza Austin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Austin Hotel Austin
- Austin Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Austin Texas