“Great Hotel for a Conference”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #51 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Beaumont, Texas
“Great Hotel for a Conference”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have stayed here many times for a conference. The rooms, are modern, clean, and spacious. The staff is always friendlly and helpful. There are many good restaurants close by, but the food in the hotel is great. The meeting space is well laid out and the open center of the hotel makes it easy to meet and hang out with friends.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Peterc2020

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Texas
Reviewed 7 September 2011

They have a great pool area outdoor and indoor, starbucks and a great lobby!! Shopping and eateries in this area dont get better in Austin! Loved the Pottery Barn store!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This hotel was a great option for our anniversary get away. The lobby was beautiful, staff was nice and friendly, and the rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel is in a great location and is literally walking distance to shopping and eateries. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2011

prepaid 2 rooms. arrived 3pm no room ready. no idea when rooms ready. I ask for drink coupons. two drinks given. 4pm. front desk calls. one room ready. ask where property manager is. out. back in 72 hours. 430 pm still no room. inept incompetent idiots.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank asudarshan3
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2011

A last minute wedding invitation was the purpose of our visit to Austin from our home in nearby Dallas. Made the reservation online a few days prior and recieved a fair rate for a double for 4 people & 2 dogs.

Called the morning of for an early check in and was assured there would be no problem allowing us to check in a couple of hours early - 1 o'clock. We brought our two cocker spaniels along for the trip, too. (A true test for any hotel's tolerance.) Shortly upon arriving into our room with luggage, dogs, and crate we heard a unexpected knock on our door. It was very friendly doorman with two "doggie bags" each with a squeaky toy, treats, poop bags and a 5-page letter giving us "dog-friendly" places to visit throughout the city.

Now we've traveled with our dogs before. Some places charge a fee, some don't, but most hotels only "tolerate" our four-legged family members. The Renaissance blew us away with this gesture. And the hospitality didn't stop there. I don't think we ever opened an exterior door for ourselves, nor did we come or go without numerous "howdy's" or "take care's" from the young staff.

The facilities we're more than acceptable, though we didn't much use them, guests were seen to be enjoying them fine. The room was generously-size, beds comfy and a request for "extra" pillows and towels was delivered promptly and cheerfully.

Our stay at the Renaissance was a 10 out of 10 for us. We're world travelers and have experienced many horrors and gems. The Renaissance was a gem in our own backyard and we are happy to have found it. We will be staying there anytime we visit Austin!

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room and enjoy a wonderful view of the hill country.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TresOrena
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We got a very good deal on the price ( second night free). The rooms are large and comfortable. Everyone I dealt with was friendly and helpful. It is a great location, right off of Capital of Texas highway and Highway 183. You do need a car.

Room Tip: We got a room with 2 queen beds andd it was very large.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dustytexas
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I will be up front and say that I used Marriott Rewards for this stay I'm reviewing. A few days after I made the reservation I got what looked to be a stock email telling me how much they are looking forward to my stay, let us know how we can make your stay more wonderful - yadda yadda yadda. As much as it appeared to be standard issue email it did have someone's name, title and contact information at the bottom of the email. Just for my own amusement, I replied back to the email saying that this stay was actually going to be for my wife and I's 6th anniversary - which was true - and that if she really wanted to know if there was anything I wanted, I politely let her know that an upgrade to the Presidential suite would be greatly appreciated. I even offered to give up 10,000 more Reward points per night. I'm sitting on a huge bank of them - take what you want, I just want the suite.
To my surprise, I got a reply back by the end of the work day from the woman with the same name on the original email - saying she'd love to upgrade us to a king suite, no points needed, as a gift for our anniversary.
When we checked in, sure enough, we had a king corner suite. Very roomy, very nice. A wet bar with a refrigerator - big screen TVs in the living room and in front of the bed. We had been in our room less than an hour when we got a knock at the door. It was room service, delivering champagne and chocolate covered strawberries - compliments of the Renaissance.
We were blown away. Obviously the hotel was scoring very high points with us. After two days, we challenged ourselves to find something to nit-pick in a review. Actually, we did have a problem with our cable/remote. We could not even view available movies because the "Menu" button was not working on either TV when all other buttons and commands were working. We just could not access the rented movies. And on a vacation of parents of a 3-year-old and 10-month-old, we don't see movies - at the theater or at home anymore. I know it's Austin, but we had three days away from home with no kids and we really wanted to see a movie - but the TV wasn't cooperating. An engineer was dispatched to the room and he couldn't make it work either. He apologized and gave us a certificate for free breakfast for two. So - again, we really couldn't argue from a customer service perspective.
What they charge for wireless internet is a bit jaw-dropping: $12.95 a day! But, when it was essentially my only charge of the weekend it was tolerable.
Everyone in the hotel was extremely friendly. The door and valet guys were always saying hello, whether we were coming or going. Once when we were walking out around 5:00 a door guy says it's real hot outside (it was 106 degrees) and offered us a bottle of water on our way out. And no, we weren't wearing a sign around our neck that said "We were upgraded to a king suite", he was offering this to everyone leaving at the time.
Someone wrote a review that the location could be better, that it wasn't near downtown. Last I checked the downtown Austin area has plenty of hotels. This is on the northwest side of town near Round Rock, which was the ideal location for us to be near Austin, but also more on the outskirts as we were doing a Hill Country winery tour one day.
Yes, I was upgraded to a suite - but only after I threw down some hard earned Marriott points. I don't feel obligated to hold my tongue if I had a legitimate beef with something in the hotel. We had a great stay, the room was outstanding, the entire staff from the front desk to the front door to the restaurant were very warm and welcoming. The pool and workout room were always clean and had towels picked up. It was a better stay than I've had at reputable five-star resorts.

Room Tip: Did you get a seemingly standard-issue email about your upcoming stay? Respond to it. You never know...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple