“beautiful hotel, great staff”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #61 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
“beautiful hotel, great staff”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We only stayed one night this trip, but it was the night of Thanksgiving, and we were prepared to get squeezed a bit by the crowd effect. We checked in late, and the desk clerk went out of his way to show us the best route up to the room (using the pool elevator) that saved a lot of steps. The room was great, the lobby facilities great also. The room was huge, comfortable, two big upholstered chairs and an ottoman, plenty of room to spread out.

The only complaint is that there is a charge for wi-fi in the room. Unusual in this day and age. I used my iPhone hotspot instead. They had a four station Apple setup in the lobby to use while getting our morning coffee; convenient, but not a substitute for wi-fi.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
I'm delighted to read that your recent stay at our hotel over Thanksgiving was a great one. We have a beautiful spacious hotel and an amazing staff who are fully committed to providing each of our guests with a unique and special experience while staying with us. I very much appreciate your comments and the time you took to share your experience with us. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to Austin and the Renaissance Austin Hotel in the near future! Safe travels and Happy Holidays!

All the best, Rob G.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Texas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is an atrium style hotel, with balcony-style hallways for 3/4 of the rooms. The location is pretty good, right in the middle of the Arboretum development, a spread-out, mixed-use development with shops, restaurants, offices, and this hotel. We had reserved a suite, and upon check-in, we were shown to a funky room with George Jetson furniture. There was no bathtub, just a shower, and it was basically an elongated L-shaped room, not really a separate living/sleeping area. We asked if there was something a little more...um, comfortable? The very accommodating bellperson showed us to a suite that had a bathtub, but there was a weird partial wall between the living room and bedroom area. Whatever, we were tired and took it. The bathroom was fairly nice, but what is the deal with the decor? The sofa-thingy in the first room looked like it was made of snakeskin and belonged in a lobby, not a room. The second room had a hideously uncomfortable dining set with little white plastic chairs, but at least it had a refrigerator and safe (although it took us a while to find the safe -- it was under the sink?). There was no dresser or place to put folded clothing -- most of the flat surfaces were taken up by really funky decorative objects.

The executive lounge was being remodeled, but they had a temporary lounge set up in a large suite. Breakfast was pretty standard, scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage, fruit. The hours of the lounge were extremely limited, and it was locked most of the time. I like being able to grab a water or a cup of tea in the mid-afternoon, and it was locked.

Housekeeping was different -- we left a note asking for EXTRA towels, and came back to a clean room with one towel. Seriously?? And the air conditioning kept switching to 75 degrees at night -- with that heavy duvet, it was like being in a steam shower. We asked if engineering could adjust it, and were stuck with a thermostat set at 60. Wow. Feast or famine.

The front desk, bell and valet staff were friendly and were obviously working against a pretty dated building. The hotel is pet-friendly, clean, and probably a great place for a business traveler. People must have felt safe there, because we saw several very young children alone on the elevator. I don't think I would allow a five-year-old to wander alone in any hotel, especially one where a child can fall 90 feet from the 9th-floor balcony, but that's just me, I guess.

Frankly, for the price we were charged, we could have stayed at the Four Seasons or Barton Creek and enjoyed a more luxe hotel. While the service was good here, the physical facilities just didn't warrant the price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pcsullivan
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you so much for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel! Our team is dedicated to providing our guests with a quality experience so I'm delighted that they were helpful during your time with us. I am disappointed to read about the issues you experienced in your room with the thermostat as well as not receiving the extra towels that you requested. I apologize that the attention to detail that we pride ourselves in was not apparent. We are currently in the final stages of completing the renovations to our Club Lounge and know that once it is finished that you will very much enjoy our new product. I will be sharing your comments with our Department Leaders so we can ensure the proper preventative maintenance processes are in place allowing us to locate items that need attention immediately. I very much appreciate you taking the time to let me know about your stay and hope that if your future travel plans include Austin, that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Safe travels, Rob G.
Detroit
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I recently spent just over a week at this hotel while in town on business. While I can admit the hotel isn't perfect and maybe wasn't built yesterday, I'm still passing it off as a 5. The hotel is clean, the staff friendly, the rooms nice. And how many hotels offer a free bottle of water at the front desk just for asking? Every time. Now I will say that I didn't care for the pillows - but that is personal taste. Did some of the elevator doors close a little hard on occasion? Yes, but certainly not a detriment. It would be nice to have a small refrigerator in the room and the dresser was a bit funky, but hey. The hotel is located near several restaurants that are within walking distance and many others that are only a few minute drive. All in all, I really don't have any dislikes about this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank E C
I'm delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience during your recent stay at our hotel! Our team is truly wonderful and I am very grateful to get to work with each of them every day. They all take pride in providing each of our guests with a unique experience while in Austin. We are very fortunate to be located in the beautiful Austin Hill Country and to also have so many shops and restaurants so close that it's easy for our guests to access. Thank you so much for your feedback and for the time you took to share your experience. I hope that the next time you travel to Austin, that we will once again have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Renaissance Austin Hotel!

Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a very nice hotel, it is very clean, our room clean and the bed was comfortable, and most of the staff were very friendly and helpful. My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary in Austin and some friends recommened the Renaissance so we decided to stay they there.

There were no complaints with our room other than there were no drawers to put your clothes in, nor were there any drawers in the bathroom to store your toiletries. The room itself was very contemporary with modern fixtures in the bathroom, and the livingroom furniture seemed to be pretty new. The only complaint that I can tie to the room is housekeeping. There were only two washcloths in our bathroom, one of which had something on it that didn't come off in the wash. When we asked the housekeeper who was in the hall with her cart for some washcloths she told us that she wasn't our housekeeper and we would have to go and get washcloths from "our" housekeeper. After finding "our" housekeeper and asking for a couple washcloths she reluctantly gave us two and gave us a look like she was upset that we had asked for the washcloths. I thanked her for the washcloths and she didn't say anyhting so I thanked her again and she said "yea" and walked away.

As for the hotel it is located a short distance from downtown Austin, and near several restaurants, some of which are within walking distance. The back of the hotel has an amazing view, and is a photographers heaven. There are several tables and chairs outside as well where you can enjoy your favorite beverage, read a book or news paper, or even eat a meal.

We ate breakfast one morning at Banderas, the hotel restaurant. My wife and I both had the buffet where there were several things to choose from, they even had cook to order omelettes which were very good.

Other than the housekeeping staff I really don't have anything negative to say say about the hotel itself, however, on the morning of check-out the hotel staff put the wrong receipt under our door. When I looked at the receipt I noticed that the hotel guest that it belonged to only paid $59.00 per night !! Upon checking out I asked the front desk staff how this guest was able to get a rate of $59.00 a night and they said that it was an employee. The problem I have with that answer is that an employee can get that rate but the Military/Govt rate is $120.00 a night for a standard room. Why is it that an employee of Marriott gets a cheaper rate than those of us who is currently or has fought in wars for this country? Not only defending the country but defending Marriott hotels, Marriott employees and the guest that pay $229.00 and up as well. I'm not saying that the employees shouldn't receive a discount, but should it be more than us men and women in uniform that have literally put our lives on the line for our country? I guess it didn't make things any better that it was Veterans Day when we checked out.

The hotel is great and I will consider staying there the next time I'm in the area, but I'm not happy about how our men and women in uniform are sometimes overlooked by some people and companies in our country.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for allowing us to be your choice hotel for your recent wedding anniversary celebration and congratulations to you both! I'm delighted to see that your stay was a pleasant one and I truly hope that you and you wife had a wonderful time while with us. Thank you for bringing the issues you experienced regarding the Housekeeping staff and their responsiveness to your needs and requests to my attention as well as the incorrect bill being placed under your door. I will absolutely be sharing your comments with the appropriate department leaders so that corrective actions and proper training can be implimented immediately. It is definitely not our standard in any way to be anything less than overly welcoming and friendly to all of our guests so the response you received for a request concerns me. I very much appreicate your feedback and the time you took to share your experience with us. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and your wife back to our hotel for your next anniversary.

Kindest regards, Rob G.
txs1981
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Renaissance hotel at the arboretum in Austin. The stay did not start off well as the employee helping me to check in was not able to find my reservation. He went to another room and returned and was able to check us in. My request for a king room was not honored, and when I expressed my displeasure, the employee offered no apology. The room itself was basic - a decent refresh from my last stay a few years ago. However, the queen bed was hard as a rock and my request for foam pillows was not honored. I was hoping for an opportunity to provide feedback via a comment card, e-mail survey or the like; however, none was provided. I even expected to be asked how my stay was at checkout and again, this did not occur.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel during your recent trip to Austin! I am disappointed to see that your stay with us was less than exceptional. I will be sharing your comments with the appropriate department leaders so that corrective actions can be put into place immediately. I very much appreciate your candid feedback as this allows for continuous improvements throughout our hotel. It's comments like yours that show us areas which need improvement so plans and actions can be put in place to ensure each of our guests have a unique and wonderful experience while staying with us. I apologize for the less than exceptional service you received during your visit and hope that if your furture travel plans include Austin, that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expections and redeem ourselves. Again, thank you very much for your feedback and the time you took to share your experience with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night for a family trip to Austin. Room was comfortable with its entrance looking into a atrium with plenty of sunlight. There were shops and restaurant just outside in a walking distance to the hotel. The pool area including both indoors and outdoors was basic but adequate. There were walking paths outside. It was a pleasant hotel with nice reception area. It is a good hotel to stay with family.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
I'm delighted that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms during your recent stay with your family at our hotel! We are thrilled with our new product that we get to showcase to our guests while staying with us. We are also very fortunate to be located in the beautiful Austin Hill Country and also next to so many options for our guests for shopping and dining. I truly appreciate the time you took to share your experience. I do hope that when your future travel plans bring you back to Austin, that we will once again have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Renaissance Austin Hotel!

Paris, France
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was upgraded to the Club level and the bed and linen was very nice. Overall though the hotel felt like it needed an upgrade. The elevator interior was old. The Club room was closed for renovation. I had breakfast in the Banderas restaurant - pretty disappointing - the decor is quite old, no buffet and despite a lack of customers, the service was slow. My latte had (almost) no coffee and my blueberry bagel no blueberries (literally - I had to send it back to get them to admit it). I checked with some locals who said that there are better options in the city center. One point in the Renaissance's favour - it sits beside a major mall so you can fit some shopping in to your trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank martin m
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our new bedding package during your recent stay with us! Our hotel is currently in the process of beginning some major changes that will occur over the next several months that we are all very excited about. We will be undergoing an outdoor deck expansion, as well as, a complete renovation and relocation of our restaurant and bar. Once it is completed the transformations will be outstanding! Thank you for sharing your experience with me as I will definitely be sharing your feedback regarding your experience in our restaurant with the appropriate deparment leaders so that this can be addressed immediately. We do hope that when your future travel plans include Austin, that we will once again have the opportunity to welcome you back and to serve you in true Renaissance hospitality.

Safe travels, Rob G.