“Very good services, carpet so so”

Rodeway Inn University / Downtown
Ranked #174 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This hotel have many advantages:
1) Good situation (downtown 10 minutes), safe place
2) Big room, very confortable beds
3) Excellent price
4) Microwate, fridge, iron
5) Pool
6) Minimun breakfast (milk, coffe, juice, cereals and two kind of cake)
7) Bathroom: OK
8) TV OK

Disadvantages:
Only one: the carpet smells very very bad. The room smells smoke. In fact, I had to open de windows all the day to have a cleaner air.

In my experience, the proximity of the highway is not a problem if you close the windows (other travelers said that this was the main problem; for me, it is no so noise place)

Room Tip: If you smoke, this is your perfect place as well as if you do not mind it smells not very well. It h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 April 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 1 March 2013

The motel is situated just next to the very busy highway so it was quite noisy during the night. The rooms are facing the road. Our room was clean, but modest and smaller than in other standard american motels. The breakfast was quite poor: just coffee/ orange juice and a couple of muffins. There were just 2 tables to sit and take a coffee for the all motel's guests. It's true it's not very far from downtown.

Room Tip: All the rooms are facing the highway so they are quite noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2012

It's old. It's clean enough. The prices are low enough. The parking was limited.
Skip the free "Continental breakfast" and go to the little café one block north on the East side of I-35. Austin is still weird!
Yeah, watch out for parking where you are not welcome. Towing is always rampant in crowded towns with lots of out of town visitors.
In town for the F1 race. Staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the freeway. You might try the ones on the South side, but I have actual experience...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Worst Hotel I have ever stayed at, I booked a standard queen double online, was told at check in, I booked a single, ummm no I booked a double why would I book a single for me and my daughter, I asked is it a king was told no it was a full, I'm like really WTF, anyway I was tired it was late, go in the room and Oh My God it was horrible, big [--] dead roach on the floor was the first thing I noticed, second thing I noticed was a musty smell in the room, do not take your shoes off in room uless you want the bottom of your feet or socks to get dirty.
This place is a DUMP, the picture they use must be 20 years old when the place was new, because it does not look like this. Mattress looks like something they found on side of the road, and it is the cheapest mattress made, the springs pop and make noise with every movement. I booked 2 nights, but I left after the first night, as I said before this place is a DUMP!!! I could not wait to get home to scrub the dirt off me that was picked up from this crap-hole of a hotel.
And the traffic noise from I-35 will be heard all night long, I wouldn't put my Mother-In-Law up in this motel hell.
Do yourself a favor and shell out a few more bucks for a decent place to stay, because this place just sucks major booty, I don't know how anyone could give this place 1/2 a star rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2012

It was the only hotel left for our stay so we really had no choice. There wasn't enough parking so we asked if we could park at the Eithiopian restaurant next door. We were told we could as long they were closed. They were!!!! Woke up and our truck had been towed!! Cost us $200 to get it! Try had a credit care on file for our rooms and took the number for another card for " incendentals". They charged that card instead and said there was nothing they could do! We will never stay here again and I do NOT recommend!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Let's be honest, this was the cheapest, I mean the cheapest hotel to come up on travel bundle sites. So I went to this hotel expecting the worst. Even brought my own bed sheets lol. You can't get rooms this affordable and expect a Presidential Penthouse suite lol

What you do wish for is no bugs, clean sheets/towels, nice staff, no prostitutes, no Johns, no drug addicts, and no unsavory folk crawling everywhere, And those are the simple things you can wish for that you will get it at this place.

When I first got there the room they gave me was severely worn as far as furniture and there was a smoking stench in what was supposed to be non smoking room. But they kindly switched me to better room. If you go, get room 114, room 135 was the worn one. But most importantly, no bugs anywhere in the room. And it was clean and they do change sheets and towels regularly. And the place is very quiet in the rooms, you don't hear traffic at all..

If you're on a budget, this is the common sense place to stay at without compromising basic amenities. There's no safe so of course I would recommend taking expensive belongings like jewelry, money, papers, etc. with you when you leave the room, why risk it? You can't fault management for unpredictable human nature of cleaning ladies, good people,bad people everywhere. I left only clothes and bathroom stuff since they're too petty to steal. And it worked.

I'm sure the college kids in town and truckers use the place for their desires but trust me there's no open carousing. In fact I'm saying that because it has to be true but I guess people are so discreet I never got to see anything like that. All I saw was Asian and European tourists. For the price, it's a decent spot.

Room Tip: The room around the pool probably in better shape than parking lot outer rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business