“Historic Magic”

Ranked #28 of 203 Hotels in Austin
San Antonio, Texas
“Historic Magic”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you book a reservation with the Driskill, forget about popular chain hotel experiences. Its not flashy and shiny. Its more - its beautiful, classy and magical. This is a historical experience within a hotel setting. Nice artwork all through the hotel and hallways. We booked the Queen/Queen with window because of the small room factor. Yes, its small but it was clean, cozy and quiet. The beds are so comfortable so much so the middle rod supporting it popped out while we were asleep. The sound woke us up. We laughed, thought about the ghost stories,rolled over and went back to sleep. The bed was still comfortable. 82yr old Mom said "I had the best sleep" and she has a pillowtop at home. Our bathroom was large enough to accomodate a wheelchair if necessary, had good lighting, upscale natural products, extra soft towels and they provided a makeup mirror in the bedroom if you needed it. We could adjust the temp of the room. We were in Rm 909 facing out 7th street because we were traveling with my elderly Mom and needed a quiet place. The size of the room helped us out, she didn't feel scared or intimidated when we left her for the concert that evening The staff was great very professional not snobbish. They didn't make me feel out of place and I appreciate that as I was worried about this. I've traveled in and out of country and that has been a sad issue at some hotels that think snobbishness = class. We felt welcomed from the moment we got out of the car to go into the hotel. I was happy to see people of all races/ages enjoying themselves in the piano bar and lobbies for the holidays.They had the largest Christmas tree I've ever seen beautifully decorated. 6th street is youthful too cool. Had to ignore only 1 persistent young panhandler. Felt it wouldn't be a safe idea to show financial compassion so many down. I prayed instead. Music everywhere. After partying I stayed up and read sitting on this wonderful highback chair. State Capitol few blocks over. Good mix of youth and history. Delicious bakery and coffee. Didn't want to leave and going back to stay for a few days for the holidays 2012. It has flavor,character and its deserves all 4 stars. I booked through Expedia got a good price

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you need this. Suggest getting a room with a window. Queen\Queen with window...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Really enjoyed this stay. Hotel is beautiful, and has a "haunted history", which the hotel shares on handouts. Really close to all the action on 6th street, and they treat you very well. Rooms are small but cozy, and historically fascinating, since some of them are almost original to the 1800's (except for some modern upgrades). Beds are a little soft and the hallway noise passes easily into the rooms, but it's still a very "cool" place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a suite for better sized room. Rooms not very soundproof in original wing of hotel, so don...
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The staff at The Driskill were great, making us feel welcome from the moment we walked through the door (even though we booked through a third-party website). It's a little on the pricey side, but totally worth it for a special occasion. We were there for New Year's Eve and it was great! I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at The Driskill for two nights over new years. We splashed out on this hotel, and sadly I was a little disappointed. The hotel is lobby and bar area is very nice and well maintained. The staff were always very friendly and helpful, room service was very good. The location of the hotel is fantastic, right on 6th street. The room we were put in was very, very small and not really fit for 4 people. There was little room for two beds let alone four people and their luggage... The bathroom was a bit rough around the edges and could do with a bit of a spruce up.

Overall, after taking into the expensive nature of this hotel (close to $800 USD for two nights) I don't feel we got good value for out money and would probably go with another option next time.

Good location

Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Location is great but hotel is very old despite the updating and our queen room was VERY small. The room was so small that we had to rearrange furniture to use the ironing board. If you are going to stay here, I would recommend upgrading to a larger room. The bed was extremely uncomfortable which was a major dissappointment since most hotels pride themselves now on comfortable beds. The bathroom fan was very loud and there was some road noise as well even though we were on the top floor. We also had trouble getting our thermostat to work. My husband and I travel often and like trying out non-chain/boutique hotels but did not love this one. It's a great hotel if you like preserved historic charm but I prefer a little more updating and comfort. The bar seemed to be a popular place and the location downtown was excellent. Valet is $27/daily for parking.

Room Tip: upgrade to a larger room since rooms tend to be small
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We spent 2 nights there just before Christmas and loved it. The location is perfect for Austin sightseeing, just a brief walk to major attractions. From the time we drove up to hotel and were greeted at the door, everything went flawlessly and efficiently. The place was beautifully decorated for the holidays and the staff extremely friendly. We got a very nice room on the 11th floor overlooking the lights on 6th street. The room was nicely laid out and nicely decorated--loved the 2 sinks in the bathroom area. The beds were comfortable and linens seemed to be high quality. (My only complaint is that I called down for extra towels the first night there and no-one ever came. It was 8ish in the evening, so I guess they were short staffed. It was no big deal, as I did find some more towels in the bathroom alcove area.)

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Bucharest
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I went to Driskill with great expectations but unfortunately it wasn't half of what I hoped for. The service is really poor, the rooms are quite noisy in the night (because of some technical machinery) and the bathroom was quite old (rust on tap and things like that). The building is very beautiful but this hotel is high overpriced for the experience it's offer to you. Go somewhere else if you can.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that your experience was sub-satisfactory. the hotel employs dedicated personnel to maintain guestrooms and all public spaces. It appears that your room requires some more attention. As a urban mid-rise hotel, roofs and landings do house some HVAC equipment. The hotel has continued to purchase sound dampening equipment to minimize the equipment that is typically housed on rooftops and landings. The Driskill has far more rooms that are not adjacent or near any equipment of any type. I'd appreciate it if you'd contact me to speak of your experience further - 512-391-7125. Thank you again for your posting.