“Amazing place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
“Amazing place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Had been to The Driskill on a rainy monday night - had heard a lot abt it so had really high hopes, i am happy to say that the restaurant superseded by expectations! I had been to the 1886 Cafe & Bakers - the cafe part of the hotel where i was immediately guided to the table and given the menu by a very helpful n cherry server ! The food was value for money and the atmosphere was the cherry on the cake - as a whole - i wud suggest everyone's who's visiting Austin for the first time to stop by and visit this place :)

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Driskill 1 night on Nov 7th. Picked the Driskill due to the "Big Reds & Bubbles" event that took place on this night. Friend booked the "bridal" suite - which had a king bed. There's a handful of very expensive rooms at the Driskill - this being one of them (paid ~ $500 for the night). Did so due to the room being on the 2nd floor which is where the event was taking place. Anyhow, upon entering the room mid afternoon I noticed some things in the room just looked "tired". Walk in steam shower fixtures were gritty - probably 20 yrs old. Water temp was lukewarm. Sink was plugged. Furnishings were dated. No servi-bar (what on earth was the servi-bar key for!?). The BIGGEST problem, however, was the crappy cot I was provided. The cot was dilapidated and should NEVER be issued to a guest. 3" pad was worn beyond repair. Next morning had breakfast at Cafe 1886. Terrible food. $14 omelet was small and greasy. Came with side of fried potatoes (which you can tell came from a huge tub of frozen potatoes they must be buying in bulk). Hyatt recently acquired this property. They better get their act together quickly. I've stayed at this property ~ 6 times over the years. Combine my recent experience with the fact there's no pool or gym at this hotel - and overnight parking is expensive (~ $26/night). Boils down to my never (ever, ever) darkening their doorway again!!!

Room Tip: Best tip would be to stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Kurt C
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

As a recent resident of Austin I had heard that the Driskill bar was one of the must tries in Austin for good cocktails and atmosphere and had it on my list to try. I had my son come over to Austin for a visit and so we decided to to get a group of friends and give it a try. See what the bar and the band would be like. What a disaster. First all, the service was poor and the drinks were nothing special. I've been to the top cocktail bars in the world and this is not anywhere near that. Its not as good as any of the other bars i've tried in Austin, but it gets better. My son wanders off to use the restroom, and doesn't come back. After a while i go find him and the hotel security manager has him locked in a room and is giving him a citation for a minor consuming alcohol. Now they never checked his ID at the bar, and even if they did as his parent by Texas law i'm allowed to purchase him drinks. He's 20 by the way. I go in to office they have my son locked into, explain that he was with me and ask that the let us leave. The security manager refused and was very rude about it. So now I have a court date to deal with for trying to a have a drink in what i thought was a nice place with my 20 year old son. What happened to the customer service one expects from a nice bar, and the courtesy to the customer. As other has have said the Driskill is not the classy place of Austin it once was. Its now just another big corp box trying to make money on its reputation of the past.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Doug D
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

The make your own bloody bar at the Driskill in downtown Austin made the art of the bloody mary something you could participate in. So may choices I walked away with what looked like a salad in my drink! I could not have asked for or imagined more accoutrements. The house mix is the right amount of spicy and you should go with that for the real deal...

Room Tip: Hit the Bloody Mary Bar one afternoon in main bar on the mezzanine - whether you are staying in a ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Burnaby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We didn't actually stay here, but just came for dinner. It was Friday Nov. 16, the night before the Formula One race. It was very very quiet. We were served immediately. We ordered the Cafe nachos, and when we saw the size of the order, my husband quickly called the server over and asked if he could cancel his order for the steak. This was taken care of, no questions asked. The food was served quickly, hot, and tasty. There was a baker in front of us, behind glass, working on a Ferrari cake, which we assumed was for the next day. It was wonderful to see the progress throughout dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I still think this iconic hotel is one of the most atmospheric in Texas. Very welcoming staff, who could not do enough for us throughout our stay. Our room was quite spacious and nicely decorated. Clean bathroom with good hot water delivery. Quiet. If I had a small complaint, it would be that our TV did not work properly, but, hey, we were in Austin, and not sitting in our room watching TV!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Cheshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Over the years we have been dining here and spending a lot of money - NEVER again! What was once a great hotel has clearly become just another Hyatt with poor service and very rude staff...
We dined in the grill room on the Friday of the Grand Prix night, and found to our dismay that most of the excellent staff had been let go - our server Marie was lovely and did save some of the evening. The quality of the food has dropped and overall it was not a pleasant experience.

We then left to walk around Austin and not being able to find a taxi popped back later to the doorman to see if he could help us; we explained that we had spent $600 in the dining room that night for our party and could he please help us; I have NEVER been so rudely spoken to by a hotel doorman in any city in the world (we were sober and well dressed if it makes any difference in perception!) he was arrogant, discourteous to my wife, my son and myself and basically a complete unprofessional.
If this is the new face of the Hyatt Driskill then so be it; we will never be returning.... and I'd advise anyone to go and look at the Four Seasons if they really want fine service from a "chain"!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family