“Great food & atmosphere !”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Bawtry, United Kingdom
“Great food & atmosphere !”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My family visited the restaurant in April - great food, great service ! A thoroughly enjoyed evening out. There was a group of 8 of us and we all had a great meal, with some excellent wines. The food was great quality and well cooked, we would happily return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent dining experience, SEB15. We are so pleased to hear that you were satisfied with both the food and the service you received and we will be glad to host you once again the next time you are in Austin, Texas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The Driskill is Austin's classic and venerable hotel dating back to the late 1800s located in the heart of downtown and adjacent to Austin's vibrant 6th street entertainment area. As a vintage property, the Driskill is very unique. It retains much of its old world character but has all the contemporary conveniences a discerning guest would expect. Initially, finding your way around the hotel can be challenging, with all of its nooks and crannies and maze like corridors; for instance, it was a real challenge finding the fitness centre.

The room we were assigned was much more spacious than I expected as I generally assumed old hotels feature small, quaint rooms. Our room had a separate foyer with a desk and the bathroom was spacious enough for both my wife and I to maneuver. The only drawback was the fact that the closet was tucked away in the bathroom. Now, as part of a large wedding party, I was able to walk into some other rooms which were distinctly smaller, thus, we may have drawn the lucky straw. The room had an in room safe and large minibar. The lack of in room coffee service was mitigated by the fact that the hotel provided a complimentary coffee set up in the lobby.

I concluded that the elevators dated back to the original construction as they were the slowest I've ever experienced; a relatively minor convenience compared to the fantastic, friendly service.

If you ever visit the Driskill, do experience the bar on the mezzanine level. A real happening environment with live music (at least the nights we were there).

I loved my stay at the Driskill and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon TripTex,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to go into detail on your recent stay at the Driskill. It is always a pleasure to hear when guests enjoy both their accommodations and the service provided to them. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the navigation of the hotel with the Operations team to ensure guests are able to locate different areas in the hotel, including the fitness center. Thank you again and we look forward to your return the next time you are in Austin, whether you have the opportunity to stay with us again or stop by for our nightly entertainment in the bar!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I had to go to Austin on business at rather short notice; flew out a couple of days early so that I could recover from the flight, and booked at the Driskill because it seemed the most fun of the hotels available at booking.com on short notice.

It's as central as can be; the frontage of the building is beautiful late-19th-century excessive; ven my low-end room (424 - window looking out onto a brick wall with a fine view of roof air-conditioning units to the side) had a lovely high ceiling, and the shower is more than adequate.

The 1886 Bakery breakfasts didn't really appeal: everything looked a bit big and a bit stodgy and a bit sweet (and, frankly, a bit expensive) for what I wanted, and there's a Starbucks half a block away.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments, Thomas.

It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the location and architecture of the building as well as certain features in your room. I also appreciate your feedback on the 1886 Café, and will forward this information to the Food and Beverage department in order to provide direction in the future as we continue to look at how we can improve the 1886 Cafe and our guest's experiences. We hope to see you once again the next time you travel to Austin.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 December 2013

we love this austin treasure!!! classic bar and excellent drinks! can be a bit loud if you're looking to have a conversation, but a great place to entertain out-of-towners! also, jessica is always so good to us! she knows how to deal with a high-demand group!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, George!

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again at the bar very soon.
Prospect Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I made reservations 2 months in advance on Driskill Hotel's website. It was my husbands birthday and I wanted it to be a special weekend. We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 pm and went to check in. The clerk went in the back for about 10 minutes. I asked the other clerk at the desk what was the hold up. A manager finally arrived and said they overbooked and we could not stay at the Driskill. I was so disappointed. He did not offer us anything for our inconvenience. No dinner. No free stay. Not even a lousy drink. All he did was send us halfway across town to the Hilton. I feel like it ruined my husbands birthday weekend. I would warn anyone that if you are planning a special event and plan to stay at the Driskill, they may not have your reserved room when you arrive.

Room Tip: Call to confirm the day of your reservation.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Katherine V
Dear Katherine,

I would like to offer a sincere apology for relocating you and your husband during a special birthday weekend. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, as this gives me an opportunity to share your information with my team in order to prevent similar issues from happening in the future. If you would like to discuss your experience further, I would love to speak with you. I can be reached via email at joe.graham@hyatt.com or 512-391-7138. Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Driskill on Wednesday and Thrusday(Thanksgiving) nights.

I was on my way to go hunting upon checkout Friday, so I had my hunting rifle with me. We used valet and as they unloaded our bags, they checked my rifle in with Security who kept in a gun safe for me while we were staying at the hotel. This service was nice since I didn't have to worry about my gun during our stay.

Also of note about the valet, was that they were all very nice, even when extremely busy. We had left our tickets to the TTU vs. UT game in our glove compartment and they went and got them for us. So for the people that copmlain about how much valet costs... There is certain amout of convenience that come with using their service. Plus, its only $8 difference over self parking.

We were assigned Room 533. I would not recommend said room to anyone looking for a view. Outside of our window was a wall approximately 10 feet away. The room itself was nice though. It was perfectly sized with a king bed, a nice desk, and large oversized chair. It was QUIET though. So, if you do not care about your view or do not plan on spending much time in your room, it is fine.

I went down to 1886 Cafe & Bakery Thursday morning for coffee, some fruit, and a croissant. All of which were excellent. I had some low expectations for fruit given that its almost Winter, but was pleasantly surprised at the quiality. The chocolate croissant was also very delicious.

The bar in the Driskill is also very good. They have a fire place which provided for a nice atmosphere. Thursday night they were extremely busy after the football game, and our server Vanessa was great. I highly recommend the Sage Advice (one of the bar's specialty cocktails). We also enjoyed the sliders, which were great as a late evening snack. They would also make a great lunch.

I have stayed at the Driskill prior to it being owned by Hyatt, and it did not seem any different to me. Its still a great historic hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a view, do not get 533.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Bryan, We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to The Driskill. We are so glad that you had an opportunity to enjoy the valet service, 1886 café, and Driskill bar. Please come visit us again, we have another Sage Advice cocktail waiting for you at the bar!
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Driskill for 3 nights. Overall a terrific experience. The hotel is beautiful and the location couldn't be better. Located on 6th Street, the Driskill is located in the heart of the music scene with lots of bars and many great restaurants. The service was excellent with the exception of the bell staff, which was very disorganized. We stayed in a Primrose "suite," which was very nice but would be better described as a deluxe room. The biggest pluses: great rain shower head, superb location, front desk & concierge staff are great, bar downstairs has live music and 1886 restaurant is great for breakfast & lunch. Biggest negatives: bell staff very slow, some noise when the room next door used the shower and slow elevators (but acceptable for a historic hotel). Overall I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello from Austin bjr926!

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. We appreciate hearing from guests such as yourself because it gives us valuable insight on all areas of the hotel. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the location of the hotel and service from our staff, however apologize for the shortfalls you found with the bell staff and noise next door. I will be sure to share this information with my team in order to ensure the bell staff is providing quick and helpful service. We look forward to seeing you once again the next time you return to Austin.