I've been staying at The Driskill for the past few years averaging 3-4 times each year. I always look forward to my stay and will not stay anywhere else now when in Austin!
From the service side ... everything from making the reservation, to arrival to hotel with the valets, to reception check-in, to housekeeping, to the staff in the Café and Bar is pitch perfect!
It is certainly the service and friendly can-do attitude that sets this hotel apart from others of the same class and style. I would stay here over any of the other 4-5star properties in the area.
The day I was checking out the GM was kind enough to assist with my luggage and stop to have a chat. He didn't have to, but you could tell that there is definite care and interest in the guests. The same courtesy was also extended to all members of the staff.
The location in downtown allows for easy walking to any of the great restaurants in the area, or down to the water. Of course, if you're driving, the valets are extremely helpful, courteous and great assistance with the car or directions.
I highly recommend having a drink in the bar. It has wonderful local flavor, and the service and drink and snack varieties are very good and unique. Truffle popcorn? Dynamite!
The rooms I define as elegantly comfortable..If you are able to afford or get a suite, well please do. A colleague was in the Primrose Suite for an evening, and it was lovely with the balcony overlooking 6th Street in the month of September. My originally preferred rooms were always the curio rooms in the new side as I liked the newer editions. These were always light and airy and the hallways were/are more up-to-date. I'm currently requesting rooms in the original side with preferences to the 4th and 5th floors. I like to be higher up even though the elevators can take their time. (It's all about the character.)Each room is configured differently, and feel free to talk about it with reception upon arrival if you're looking for a larger space, bathroom or your own preferences. I like that every room is different and not identical. This is one of the reasons I choose the Driskill over other hotels for the character.
The lobby, is grande, and I like the overall feel when you walk in. On some levels the hotel may seem a bit dated with the existing decor but that's part of the history, and more importantly, as I understand it, the hotel will be going under some renovations. Hyatt purchased the property about a year ago, and I was honestly a little concerned that it would turn into just another corporate entity. (I have nothing against Hyatts, and have stayed at a number of them around the world, but my preferences are more in the boutique brands for both business and personal). However, the changes that I have noticed during my visits have been nothing but excellent and it just offers a great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Driskill Hotel. Built in 1886 as the showplace of a cattle baron, The Driskill remains a landmark of legendary Texas hospitality. Located on Sixth Street in the heart of downtown Austin, the luxurious, historic hotel is convenient to all that the city has to offer, including the Texas State Capitol, convention center, opera, symphony, fine dining, shopping, and Austin's 6th Street music scene. Known as the "Live Music Capital of the World,®" Austin is home to nearly 200 music venues, many within walking distance of The Driskill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Driskill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Driskill Hotel Austin
- Driskill Hotel Austin
- Driskill Austin
- The Driskill Austin, Texas