“Best Service in Austin with Elegant Comforts”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #29 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Service in Austin with Elegant Comforts”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've been staying at The Driskill for the past few years averaging 3-4 times each year. I always look forward to my stay and will not stay anywhere else now when in Austin!

From the service side ... everything from making the reservation, to arrival to hotel with the valets, to reception check-in, to housekeeping, to the staff in the Café and Bar is pitch perfect!
It is certainly the service and friendly can-do attitude that sets this hotel apart from others of the same class and style. I would stay here over any of the other 4-5star properties in the area.

The day I was checking out the GM was kind enough to assist with my luggage and stop to have a chat. He didn't have to, but you could tell that there is definite care and interest in the guests. The same courtesy was also extended to all members of the staff.
The location in downtown allows for easy walking to any of the great restaurants in the area, or down to the water. Of course, if you're driving, the valets are extremely helpful, courteous and great assistance with the car or directions.

I highly recommend having a drink in the bar. It has wonderful local flavor, and the service and drink and snack varieties are very good and unique. Truffle popcorn? Dynamite!

The rooms I define as elegantly comfortable..If you are able to afford or get a suite, well please do. A colleague was in the Primrose Suite for an evening, and it was lovely with the balcony overlooking 6th Street in the month of September. My originally preferred rooms were always the curio rooms in the new side as I liked the newer editions. These were always light and airy and the hallways were/are more up-to-date. I'm currently requesting rooms in the original side with preferences to the 4th and 5th floors. I like to be higher up even though the elevators can take their time. (It's all about the character.)Each room is configured differently, and feel free to talk about it with reception upon arrival if you're looking for a larger space, bathroom or your own preferences. I like that every room is different and not identical. This is one of the reasons I choose the Driskill over other hotels for the character.

The lobby, is grande, and I like the overall feel when you walk in. On some levels the hotel may seem a bit dated with the existing decor but that's part of the history, and more importantly, as I understand it, the hotel will be going under some renovations. Hyatt purchased the property about a year ago, and I was honestly a little concerned that it would turn into just another corporate entity. (I have nothing against Hyatts, and have stayed at a number of them around the world, but my preferences are more in the boutique brands for both business and personal). However, the changes that I have noticed during my visits have been nothing but excellent and it just offers a great stay!
Book now!

Room Tip: If you are able to afford or get a suite, well please do. A colleague was in the Primrose Suite for...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear PNWAsia,

We truly appreciate your loyalty and the time you took to share a glimpse of your most recent Driskill experience. I will be sure to pass your compliments on service to our staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were there for lunch basically because it is a famous location. The server was very good and very nice. The menu was short and the food was so so. I ordered a club sandwich and the cheese soup but could only eat a few spoonfuls of the soup. I told my friend that it tasted like it had Velveta cheese in it and she said that wasn't possible. Later I looked up the recipe on line and sure enough, Velveta. Yuk. I would advise against ordering the soup. The rest of the meal was standard lunch fair. I wish we had just walked through the place for the experience. Maybe dinner or breakfast are better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Good afternoon Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the 1886 Café and Bakery. I regret to hear that the soup did not meet your expectations and will be sure to share your comments with our Food and Beverage team. If you return to Austin, I hope you have the opportunity to experience the Driskill once again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at the Driskill as a weekend away for our 15th wedding anniversary. It was our first time in Austin (we have friends there and also I ran the half marathon). I had booked online and advised that it was our anniversary - the check in clerk wished us Happy Anniversary and there was sparkling wine and chocolate dipped strawberries in our room. Our bags were meant to follow us up - we had stored them while we waited for the room. We called for them but they didn't arrive. Two hours later we called again and the front office person told me that she would find out what happened to them and call me back - she never called but the bags did arrive that time.

No full length mirror in the guest room - at least the one we had, found that strange for a 5 star hotel. Walls also paper thin on the 8th floor. Our neighbour was Skyping long into the night at 3am we were banging on the wall to ask him to be quiet - we could hear him at all times, guess he could also hear us. On that note - our shower pressure (always a question) was great, so was his ;)

Great hotel for common areas, bar and bakery fabulous. Great location - able to walk to lots of Austin's sightseeing locations and restaurants / bars.

Would stay there again but possibly ask for a differently configured room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nikki M
Good evening Nikki M.,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the trouble you experienced with receiving your bags and have addressed your concerns with my team to ensure a situation like yours is avoided in the future. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the common areas of the hotel as well as the location, and hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again. We have several room options available - from cozy vintage rooms to spacious suites!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Very nice hotel with a nice afternoon tea. One afternoon there was a 4 piece orchestra playing that was nice. Beautiful decorations. The nice restaurant upstairs was excellent. Our room was in the tower. Not much of a view. Our friend actually had a bigger and nicer room on 11. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Breakfast was very good each morning in the café. Stepped outside the front door and took a carriage ride to the Christmas tree at the Capitol. Was enchanting. Only problem was that the fire alarm kept going off. People at the front desk weren't much help. That droves us nuts and we were afraid it would go off in the middle of the night and wake us up but it didn't.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Angela M,

I am very thankful for your feedback regarding your recent stay, and glad that you were able to experience some of our many Driskill Christmas traditions. Please accept my sincere apologies for the fire alarm going off during your stay, as we were conducting fire alarm testing during that time. I was disheartened to hear that the Front Desk staff was unhelpful to you during this occurance and will address your comments with them to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I am pleased that you enjoyed your guest room, breakfast and décor and hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014

we spent a wonderful 5 days in december at the driskill in austin. it was part business and part pleasure.
the hotel is very old world and they are in the process of adding some more modern updates. we had a very luxe room with lots of charm.
the location is great - very central and near plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping and music establishments.
the students were on vacation but it is a very young and vibrant city.
we were with a 6 month old baby and the hotel provided us with the crib, chair, etc. i would not hesitate to come back and experience more of the terrific food and local attractions. we did take a tour of the university of texas and the stadium is amazing.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and a view -- lots happening on thursday night when they close the str...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ron b
Hello Ron B,

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your thoughts and please visit us again soon. We have plenty more charming rooms where that came from, and the location is definitely hard to beat!
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed in a wonderful room, Senate room. The room itself was wonderful. High coffered ceiling, nice furnishings, double vanity and decent view. Although there are no coffee machines in the rooms they will bring you one if you ask. Otherwise, there is coffee downstairs in the lobby.
However,one issue which lowers my recommendation for this hotel is the location of this type room in the Tower. It is right next to the guest elevator and service elevator. It is next to a small tiled foyer next to the elevators. This makes it nice since its close to the elevator however guests and some staff congregate there and it gets pretty noisy. One night staff were folding sheets and talking at 9:30 PM and another night guests were talking loudly at 3:30 AM while waiting for the elevator! You can also hear the elevator moving and a lot of emergency vehicle sirens throughout the night.
Besides that it is a wonderful hotel. Great location, great service and beautiful lobby and cocktail lounge.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Snowcruiser
Good afternoon Snowcruiser.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your guest room as well as the public areas of the hotel, and appreciate your kind words on the service provided to you. As you may know, guest feedback is an invaluable tool which allows us insight on areas of opportunity. Your noise comments have been noted and will provide direction in the future as we look at how we can improve the Driskill and our guests experiences. Again, thank you, and we hope to see you once again the next time you visit Austin.
Hunt, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The Driskel is an olde but goodie. Stayed there many times and have had some very memorable stays! We stayed in the Governors Suite last trip and overlooked the folks on 6th street from the huge balcony! By far the best room in town!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe G, Director of Rooms at The Driskill, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Good afternoon Reggaetex,

Thank you for your taking the time to review the Driskill Hotel. We are glad that you had the pleasure of staying in one of our unique suites that showcased our prime location downtown Austin. We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return!