“Very nice historic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Parkersburg, West Virginia
“Very nice historic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The entrance is about what you'd expect - grand, high class. The facilities are top notch: nice restaurant and bar area, nice fitness center. The room featured a very high ceiling. The bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was great. Location was perfect. The elevator situation isn't ideal - either option took forever to get to the section I was in. Overall I would say about a 4.5 out of 5, but I rounded up. For the price, you really don't get anything special or spectacular. But it is a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure how the rooms are in the non-historic section, but trying to take elevators to the historic...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My new bride and I stayed at the Driskill for a short honeymoon getaway. I had heard and read wonderful things about this place...the history, the ambiance, the hauntings... so I was excited about our stay. For two nights & nearly $1000 including parking, it fell a little shy of my expectations.

It wasn't bad at all, I just feel we didn't get the value returned for what was paid. The service was professional and courteous...from the valets and doormen to the front desk, everyone was polite and attentative. They were even kind enough to hold our leftover wedding cake in their walk-in fridge. The building's structure and decor is impressive. The ambiance in the bar area is pure, rustic Texas luxury.

Our room was nice with comfy beds, but nothing special We did eat at the restaurant. The fod was pretty good, and our server was pleasant and engaging without being intrusive. All-in-all it was an okay stay, but I guess I just expected a little more from a hotel in this price range. I wish I could give it a 4 rating, but I just can't.

4 Thank Mark A
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We only spent one night at the end of our vacation at the Driskill, but it was lovely. The staff was professional and polite. I wish all hotels had such staff. We had a rainy day, spent more time in the hotel than expected, but it was relaxing. We ate breakfast there, it was very good. We also had food and drinks in the lounge/bar area. The room was lovely and comfortable. Overall, a very nice 24 hours. Would stay here again, if ever in Austin.

Gorman, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Driskill Hotel. It's such a convenient location right on 6th street and just 6 blocks south of the capital building. The room was quiet on the10th floor. The bed was so comfy with silk sheets! Nice bar and a lot of nice Texan touches to the decor. We were showing our friends from Denmark around Texas and they enjoyed their stay here too.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I first experienced the Driskill two years ago when I stopped in at their bar and tried the Batini cocktail while on a trip to Austin. This time, I made sure to stay at the hotel itself. My room was on the eighth floor and accessible only thru the upper lobby bar. That didn't bother me, but I noticed other reviewers troubled by the arrangement. Personally, it isn't any major inconvenience and it allows you to enjoy the old décor and charming touches.
The room was comfortable, clean, and pretty. I love all the D motif throughout. I found it odd that with all the attention to detail and quirky touches, the room had a very cheesy ceiling fan. Oh well! You cant get everything.
The staff was courteous. The valet very prompt and pleasant. I really liked this place. My only wish was that some of the historic rooms/ spaces had been open to allow guests to explore the beautiful rooms.
I recommend this for a couples trip indeed!
The Driskill is close to EVERYTHING. I found it reasonably priced and easy to book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up and not directly on 6th street or you will be experiencing revelry noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here during a recent trip to Austin. The service was superb (friendly, helpful and nice). The room served our needs - while small,we were only in town for one evening - so it was totally fine. Complimentary tea/coffee in the morning was a nice treat. Breakfast as the Cafe/Bakery was scrumptious (although pricey, but it was expected, honestly).

The location of the hotel is great too. We were able to park our car with valet when we arrived and then explore on foot: the Capitol Building, Market District and 6th Street. While Market District was a bit of a hike after a long day of traveling - it is definitely doable (and worth it since the intended destination was Amy's Ice Cream).

One tiny con - our refrigerator was locked. We couldn't figure out how to open it! Tip: If you want customers to buy items from it, make it easy to access.

All in all - very nice stay.

central virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Recent purchase by Hyatt has done nothing for this hotel. They have done away with Illy coffee and the service at the bakery/café was horrible, including 45 mins for a bowl of oatmeal and a continental pastry/juice/coffee breakfast! In fact, we were trying to find our waitress to cancel when she finally delivered the bowl of oatmeal and the wrong pastry! Their country potatoes are nothing more than frozen processed potato cubes fried beyond edibility. The Driskill Grille for dinner however was a fantastic, albeit extremely pricey, evening. The room lacked seating for two as it only offered one small side chair and a weird extremely high back desk chair so we were forced to sit on the bed as it was the only other option in a room so tiny you couldn't even open the bathroom door all the way due to the stand they used for the mirror/towels/hair dryer. WIFI in room was horrible bandwidth. Two days in a row housekeeping left no wash cloths and then wouldn't answer their phone when rung. I had to chase down staff in the hallway in my nightgown to get a wash cloth. I will not select this hotel again, and would not recommend this to anyone. Valet service was very good and friendly. In fact, this reservation had to be totally pre paid and non refundable for a very lackluster experience! Go for dinner in the Grille, but don't stay the night and don't have breakfast!

Room Tip: city view room was nothing notable. Rooftop and alley views, plenty of sirens to keep you awake all...
Green Features: They failed to provide wash cloths, I guess you could consider that water saving
1 Thank gorbysva
Joe G, Manager at The Driskill, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Gorbysva,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit to the Driskill. I apologize that there were multiple areas where we did not satisfy your needs or provide the service and quality that you deserve. I appreciate your personal preference for Illy coffees. Our decision to use Ferra Coffees was inspired by the opportunity to work with a Central Texas business that sources a high quality, organic product. I would appreciate an opportunity to speak to you further about your stay. You can reach me via email at joe.graham@hyatt.com, and I sincerely hope to hear from you.