“Wonderful historic hotel in the middle of the fun on 6th Street”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #28 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed at the Driskill for a night during a combined business and liesure trip. The hotel is simply beautiful. The lobby is stunning and the service was impeccable. The room and particulalrly the bathroom were a little small but that reflects the age of the hotel. Apparently folks didn't need huge suites in the past. It was just fine for my wife and I though. The furnishings were beautiful and the bed was the most comfortable I have been in away from home for a long time. All of the fun and night life of 6th Street are right outside the hotel. If you are tired of the same old modern hotels and want a classy place with character, this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2011

I really loved my recent stay at the Driskill. Everyone was kind and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, the drinks delicious! The room was lovely and well-organized. The bed was very comfortable--the feather pillows were the best I've had in a hotel. The only drawback was the beautiful iron bedframe/posts squeaked every time I tried to turn over. Our conference was held at the hotel and the conference rooms and coffee breaks were both wonderful. There was free high speed internet, but something about it made my unable to VPN in to my office, though all other Internet uses were fine. That was a slight drawback for my business trip, since I needed to work while I was away.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2011

The Driskill is a beautiful Victorian hotel. The rooms are comfortable and I have stayed there 3 or 4 times. The location is great if you want to stay in the heart of downtown where there are alot of clubs and live music. The outdoor cafe has good food and is great for people watching. If I am staying downtown Austin, I will probably stay at the Driskill because of the uniqueness of the hotel itself. I usually stay in a historic king which is charming and has nice bedding but small. The bathroom is also quite small.
I have never had any problems with my room. I also enjoy the bar area there because its kind of loungey; with alot of seating areas. Other places downtown I like is the Omni and the Hilton on 4th streeet.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2011

From the moment I stepped off of the plane and shared with people that I was staying at The Driskill, I was impressed with what people had to say. I was not disappointed. The hotel is beautiful, unique and well-maintained. The staff are courteous and helpful and genuinely want to help it's clients. Each room is gorgeous - high ceilings, crown molding, unique upholstery and beautiful fixtures.

Our conference was also held in the lovely meeting rooms, which provided nice light and ambiance - a million times better than some faceless, drab room. I was also told that hosting our conference at The Driskill was cheaper than at a local chain. Everyone here is extremely happy with every part.

I have stayed at many boutique hotels around the country, but I have to say that this ranks as the best.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2011

WILL NOT RETURN. We went for a special occasion and booked the bridal suite to celebrate in style! I was really excited - we stayed at the Driskill before and thought it was nice. I never expected so many things to be wrong on one visit. There were problems with the room. The fabric was missing off the canopy on the bed and mini bar wasn't there. They brought up a mini bar, when asked, but it didn't work - it was warm. It didn’t fit in the cabinet, so they left it on the floor blocking the table. The restaurant was closed. The website didn't mention it and pre-arrival email failed to tell us. Bulbs were out, a vent was hanging from the ceiling, the tub leaked, the shower glass wasn't clean - yuck! They comped us breakfast at the bakery ($20), which was totally inadequate. I didn’t want free food - I wanted a sincere apology for screwing up my birthday and failing to rectify the situation. I did give them a chance to fix it. I got a generic reply from management that was a blow off. DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY - THIS IS NOT A LUXURY HOTEL. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Callalily6
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

I deeply apologize about your experience. Clearly, we didn't execute our customary legendary service. Exacerbating your poor experience; our newly renovated suite(s) were not immaculately detailed nor guest ready for your stay. The hotel has made several attempts to contact you as we desire to earn back your business and trust. Perhaps we have erroneous contact information. We'd appeciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future - if you would, please contact the Hotel's Front Office Manager, Michele at 512-391-7225. Thank you

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Stayed at hotel over xmas 2010 -
Good Points
Beautiful hotel, very grand - great for a romantic break, family get together
Lots of hotel bars
Great bakery products..try the cinnemon roll..excellent
Great location on 6th Street for bars/ rests etc
Free internet access in business centre

Bad Points
Long wait for breakfast table, when did get seated it was near the main doors, so very cold. Serving staff service was not great and the maître'd was not very welcoming.
Front desk staff i felt were not genuinely friendly.
Rooms not very large and have alot of furniture in them..so things can get alittle tight.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I made reservations about 2 months in advance. I was coming for a wedding that was held at the hotel. I booked a special with my American Express card that upgrades me to the next level of room, and allows for early check-in and late check-out. When I walked into the hotel to check in, there were at least 7 other people in line waiting to check in, and one person behind the desk. Finally, another person came out, but that didn't seem to help much. I feel that a 20+ minute wait to check in is unacceptable! I mentioned this to the girl checking me in, and all I got in return was a rude look. I inquired about a late check-out, and she replied there were none. I said I had booked the Amex special, and she then replied that late checkout was at 12:30 and was not guaranteed! She gave me the check-in paper and told me to read it and initial and sign it. This girl was so rude and condescending, I asked to speak with a manager on the spot. While waiting for the manager, I went back to the bellmen to look for my luggage, which I was told "would be right behind me" only to find it on a cart outside- unattended. I found a staff member and asked him to please help me to my room with it. He asked me for my room number and I replied I was in the process of checking in, and he rudely replied that he would not take my luggage anywhere until I had room number. I said I would have it in a minute and I was waiting on a manager. He turned around and walked away! I go back to the desk, and still no manager, so I took my room key and went upstairs, as I needed to get ready for the wedding. I should mention at this time that I had called the hotel on my drive there to confirm my room. The girl I spoke with (actually very nice) explained my room in detail and I was looking forward to checking in. When I got to my room, it was nothing like what was explained to me on the phone. I called down and got the manager on the phone and told him of my check-in and rudeness I was greeted with. I was given a lukewarm apology. I mentioned my room, and he said that I was "put in a room so I would have one, and that many others trying to check in did not have a room yet" like I was supposed to be grateful for being put in the 'closet'! By this time I was so frustrated, I just told the manager the room was unacceptable and I expected to be moved. He said he would work on that and call me. The wedding service was beautiful. The cutting of the cakes was nice; dinner was horrible! The bride picked out a great menu; the food was cold! The soup was cold- everyone's was. I didn't say much, and ate it. The entrees (filet, and salmon) were also cold! We're not talking lukewarm, we are talking ice cold! Not just mine, either! The wait staff was very unattentive. Everyone else around us had been served rolls, and we didn't get any, so one of the ladies at our table got up and got a basket of them and began serving our table. When one of the waiters saw this, he came over and ripped the basket out of her hand and gave her a filthy look. I felt bad for the bride and groom. They must have spent a fortune on the food, and it was terrible. I did get assigned to another room- which was larger and a touch nicer. I wouldn't say the room was dirty, but the carpet and furniture are definitely worn. The night was noisy- lots of people in the hallway being very inconsiderate. The next morning, a Sunday, housekeeping started early and were loud. They came to my room 3 separate times- even though a privacy sign was on my door, and I was not checking out that day! A guy from room service came to get my tray and seemed annoyed that I hadn't put it outside my door. It was too heavy to lift! Overall, I was very disappointed in my experience with this hotel. I found the staff to be rude and condescending and dismissive. The room very definitely nothing special. The food from the restaurant was good, again, nothing special. The best part of the hotel is the lobby! There are many other hotels to choose from in Austin- I recommend the Stephen F. Austin, or the Hilton downtown or the Omni downtown.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank maggiem27
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback on your experience. I apologize that we failed to deliver our customary legendary service and I will be taking your feedback to the team here for a comprehensive review of what transpired (and what did not). The Driskill will also be contacting you directly to discuss your stay. We constantly look for ways and means to improve our offerings and services and you've aided us greatly in those pursuits - thank you again.