“Say it ain't so”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Avinger
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It is with a heavy heart and empty belly that I write this review. We have been going to 5 D for 12 years since moving to the area from Austin, Texas. Although we sorely missed the fantastic culinary scene in Austin, we were pleased to find a place to eat that is close to our house in the rural area of Avinger. It was comforting to know that the quality of the food was consistent and delicious.

We heard they were building a full service bar (it used to BYOB) which was welcome news, but it seems since they did this the quality of the food has gone downhill in a hurry. We normally order takeout and in April the hamburger and dun was burnt, they neglected to put any veggies on the burger and forgot the baked potato I had ordered. My husband's steak was way overcooked and so tough it was impossible to eat. Okay, every place has a bad night so the next week we tried again. This time, the chicken was raw, the salad greens were wilted and brown and although we did get the baked potato this time, it had the taste of being leftover from the night before and simply reheated in foil.

We had out of town guests the next weekend and decide that perhaps the problem was with the takeout orders and decided to eat in the restaurant. It took our waitress forever to take our order
because they had switched from paper tickets to a POS system. I am not faulting her at all, I think she just needed more training. So, was the food any better? In a word, no. Tough steaks, greasy chicken fried steak which appeared to be of the frozen variety instead of the one they used to make from fresh breaded beef. The baked beans perhaps canned with added sugar (too sweet to eat). I am so disappointed that this lovely place has has apparently decided to cut corner when it comes to the quality of their food. The only other restaurants are 45 miles from our house, hardly worth the drive. I hope this family owned business will read this review and do something about the swift decline.

6  Thank lakelady54

Reviewed 12 March 2014

While our steaks were fabulous, our waiter seemed uninterested in serving us. In addition to eating in the restaurant, I also wanted to try to BBQ, potato salad and beans to take home for lunch the next day. I asked the waitress if I could have a small sampling of the potato salad and beans before I ordered some and paid $7.95 for a quart. She basically told me "no". Fortunately I had another waitress who took my "to go" order for the BBQ and she gladly brought a sample. They were both very good, and I placed my order. When I got home, I was shorted on the potato salad, so I called them (I live an hour away) and they said they could not credit it back to my debit card and did not like to send cash in the mail, but would send me a gift certificate....I have yet to receive it. Kind of disappointed in the service, but loved the steak!!!

2  Thank Fatty1029
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Our party of 12 treated very well the Sat. after Valentine day. very busy. Had a very long wait for a table and food but the end result was great. Steaks cooked excellent, service very good. Lots of hot bread. Will return when in area.

1  Thank silyab
Reviewed 8 January 2014

If you are looking for a great steak in east texas you should visit the Five D Cattle Comany Steak House. Obviously this is only for those the enjoy eating meat, but the salads are pretty good and the fresh baked rolls are fantastic.

1  Thank warlerea
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were quite disappointed, waited almost an hour for our food. Waitress said some mishap in kitchen & my food was lukewarm at best.

1  Thank Tyjak