“Over the top ski hotel, where the service and facility always exceed expectations”

and 1 more site!
Alta's Rustler Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alta
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Look, if you don't get it that "Alta is for Skiers", please go somewhere else. There's no shopping and limited night life...but if you are interested in the country's best ski in-ski out hotel adjacent to North America's finest lift served skiing, the Rustler is for you. Period.

Is it expensive? Of course it is. It should be. Considering the physical siting limitations of a narrow canyon, extreme weather and high altitude, you have to marvel at the Rustler's consistent ability to outperform on every level.

I have been a returning guest at this hotel since the 1970's and it just keeps getting better and better. I have stayed there in small squads, large groups, family ensemble, every combo and it has NEVER been anything other than exceptional.

The food is always outstanding, the bar is terrific, the ambience and staff are awesome. When issues arise, as they can in every service industry, the management reacts & responds with grace and calm.

But first and foremost, this hotel is for the kind of real skiers for whom Alta exists. If you are high maintenance or overly discerning, please go to Deer Valley and leave the Rustler and Alta for us!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank WeaselRedLeader

Reviewed 13 March 2011

We paid over $1,000 per day for 2 meals and a single room. The meals are ok but definitely not gourmet. The room was like a SMALL PRISON CELL from the 50's. Lift tickets are NOT included. The "spa" is a joke.
Save your money, rent a condo and hire a chauffeur to drive you to the mountain. You can have breakfast and dinners in great places for a lot less.
The mountain is gorgeous and well worth the trip, but stay away from the Rustler, they'll steal your money

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank drklein
RustlerManagement, Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for your candid comments. We do offer smaller room types, in addition to our larger rooms, and we do sincerely apologize if your room and your Rustler Lodge experience didn’t meet expectation. While we operate on a Modified American Meal Plan (skiers buffet breakfast and four course dinner inclusive), we do not package in lift tickets with our room rates. The Rustler Lodge Spa does offer a wide variety of services and selection but have limited space available in our ski in/out property. We are pleased that you enjoyed the mountain and hope you visit Alta again.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

I stayed at the Rustler over President's Day Weekend, and was extremely disappointed. Although the location is excellent, the hotel is extremely expensive and doesn't give much value in return. We ended up paying nearly $1,000 a night to stay in a tiny, cinderblock room with two twin beds. The Rustler charges 5 star prices for 2 star value. I won't be going back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank bdk53449
Reviewed 11 March 2011

The Good: Nice staff, great ski-in, ski-out location, plentiful and tasty food
The Bad: The rooms are really subpar for the price. It was tiny (barely room for a chair and twin beds!) and didn't have even basic amenities like a drinking glass or shampoo (unless asked for). TV hanging from ceiling had no VCR. Water pressure was horrible in the shower (no tub). Room had bad smell. No elevator to our floor. Felt like we were staying at a low-rate hotel rather than the high-end resort we expected. Wasn't looking for the Four Seasons, but for the 'discounted' nightly rate of $600 + was hoping for something slightly more special.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank PowderHound789

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the Rustler Lodge. We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed in our property and your Albion room. These rooms are in the original part of the lodge and do not have elevator access or bathtubs. As we always strive for complete guest satisfaction, we are planning quite a few updates this summer, including flat screen televisions. We hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed 16 February 2011

This is my 8th annual stay here. It is a high end, ski in ski out slope side resort. Meals are gourmet feasts. The outdoor heated pool, hot tub, & steam room are perfect to rejuvenate sore muscles after skiing. Expensive and the ultimate ski vacation for Alta & Snow Bird. Skiing heaven!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Savannahdaydreaming, Public Relations Manager at Alta's Rustler Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Thanks for visiting the Rustler Lodge. It was great seeing you again! We pride ourselves on complete guest satisfaction and ideal amenities. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you for your ninth visit to Alta!!

Reviewed 11 February 2011

Just got back from a fantastic 5 nights with my two kids (Ages 5 and 7). We'd stayed at Alta Lodge on our previous two trips, and Rustler is far superior, although also much, much, more expensive. We had a large corner room that was close to $1,100 a night with everything included. The room was enormous, but hadn't been meaningfully updated for a number of years.

For those who haven't been to Alta, you should know that you have to take the tow rope to get kids to ski school, which is fine, as long as your kids are relatively good skiiers. If not, you have to take a shuttle to ski school.

The food is truly fantastic here, as is the staff, and the pool is great. You will be paying "Four Seasons" plus rates here, but if you want the best in Alta, it is the only option.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Thank you, Dallas_190, for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and love receiving guest feedback. We pride ourselves on being “the Canyon’s Best.” Alta’s Rustler Lodge does offer a variety of room types (and rates) and you stayed in one of our best rooms. We will be starting some major lodge renovations this spring including flat screen televisions and bedding. We hope to see you next winter. Please let us know if you’d like an advance reservation made for you to get better room selection and lower rate. Think Snow!!!

Reviewed 24 August 2010

I have to admit I love this place. I've been to the Russ for my wedding anniversary the past two years and it really feels like an extension of home. My husband and I have been playing this game where we check the weather in Alta on a Friday morning...if it looks like it's going to snow and snow hard, we book a Southwest flight out of Denver by 5pm and just over two hours later we get wheeled up the LCC by Alta Shuttle, just before the road closes!

What I love about the Rustler:

The staff - courteous and it appears as if none of the staff are allowed to wear those stupid jeans where the belt is below the tooshy (see my upcoming review of Peruvian for that explanation).

The food - is awesome. Hands down the best we've tried.

The bar - is quiet (if you like quiet). Not really a locals joint except for a few regulars, but really the best part of the bar is when it's not even open. There are these amazingly comfortable sectional sofas next to the cathedral ceiling windows and my husband and I love to get up in the morning, grab some joe and do a little reading on the sofas, while watching ski patrol throw bombs.

The rooms - Well, you can get any class you want at this place and it's not that much more to pay for a well appointed room with modern day amenities. Nice deep tubs. Roomy rooms. Found the Peruvian down the street to be very cramped and rustic. Not that I mind rustic. I can sleep in a tent with the best of them...but for these prices... We were upgraded our last visit, into a suite in the older part of the hotel. It was wunderbar! Except the stairs when you can't walk because you have been skiing 36 inches of fresh snow all day...

The gym - I'm not working out. I'm skiing! But the gym has a foam rolls, fit balls and other handy objects to stretch out my poor trembling muscles so I can get out for yet another day.

The pool. Well, last time we were there it was too cold. Not sure why. That's okay. I have a bathtub.

Spa - I did have one massage and it really wasn't worth it. The therapist seemed to be going through the motions and ready to kick me out the door so she could get back down the canyon. The toenail girl was wonderful and sweet, however.

MY ONE AND ONLY COMPLAINT
Okay, it maybe 1.5 complaints. I feel the proprietor woman (tall brunette lady) is a little standoffish. She spends all of her time catering to the ancient dudes who have been coming to the Russ for 60-70 years and hardly addresses the younger guests (I guess late 30s is young at the Russ). I get really turned off by her. In fact, she questioned whether or not I was a guest on my last day there, when I grabbed a snack off the happy hour table. I had been there for five days! However, that was 2009 and in 2010 I was not accused of being some transient slacker freeloader, thank goodness.

That was the .5 complaint.

My big complaint is the dinner seating, but it's one of those tomato tomato things. What the Peruvian and some of the others have over the Rustler hands down is the family style dining. The Rustler is private 2-top 4-top type dining while the Peruvian is like a wedding reception with assigned seating. Now I may make the Peruvian sound bad, but when you are on a ski trip with just your sweet husband, maybe it would be nice to make a little conversation at the end of a big day...not that we don't talk but what are we going to talk about? What did you do today honey? Same thing as you, dummy.

I digress....

The Rustler is all about hanging with your own party. It's difficult to meet people in the bar or in the restaurant, or anywhere in the hotel. That's fine for us most of the time.

My husband did a solo trip in early March and I don't think it was very much fun, even in the dorm.

We ended up going to the Peruvian in late March and while the Peruvian food is not as good, the accommodations rustic and the staff moronic at best, we have made potential life long friends over there. It really makes us pause.

So if you want a romantic get away or if you are coming with a group and want to keep to yourselves... YAY RUSTLER!

If you are a solo traveler or a couple who is social...you might want to think hard about it. I think we will most definitely return to the Rustler regardless of the downfalls...but we will try harder to bring our own entertainment (friends).

Can't wait to come back :-)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank velochica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Montage Deer Valley
Montage Deer Valley
#3 of 60 in Park City
Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley

Been to Alta's Rustler Lodge? Share your experiences!