“Very Mixed Review - Please Read!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alta Lodge

Alta Lodge
Miami, Florida
“Very Mixed Review - Please Read!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

The Alta Lodge is popular with many guests returning annually. The staff is very helpful and nice and the food at dinner was quite good. That said, for the price point, we were highly disappointed. When you arrive, you enter down a stairway that looks like a beat-up Irish pub entrance in Boston. Once down the stairs, you see the dining room on the left with chairs from a bad wedding reception and with velvet booths. You expect something like the Yellowstone Lodge - and you get a small, cramped room with a tiny bathroom and low quality furniture, chairs etc. The view of the mountains from the large window in the room was beautiful. Yet, the room almost felt like a Youth Hostel from my backpacking days in Europe. We selected the Alta Lodge given the reviews on Trip Advisor. We just want to give you a balanced view so you have a realistic expectation when you arrive. Good luck.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank chriskeslmiami

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

When: April 1 - 5, 2013

Who: My daughter (age 11) and myself (way older than 11)

Bottom Line: We loved the Alta Lodge and the Alta Ski Area! We could certainly stay at the lodge again and recommend it to others (like you!).

Why Alta Lodge:
I looked at all the different lodge reviews on TripAdvisor and was impressed by the number of reviews that said "I've been coming here annually for years" and years meant decades! If there are people willing to come to the same place every year for 30+ years than that lodge must be doing something right. And those reviewers were correct!

The accommodations were small but cozy (we stayed in original section of lodge). The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of drawer space, hangers in the closet and hooks on the doors for our clothes and wet gear, and plenty of shelf space over the sink for all our toiletries. There was a safe in the room for valuables. And we were grateful for the vaporizer/humidifier that helped us sleep better at night. The Aveda products and soft towels and bathrobes just added to the experience.

The food was consistently excellent and I loved that breakfast and dinner were included in the room rate. The breakfast buffet had a wide selection to meet every person's morning preferences in addition to made to order eggs if scrambled was not your thing. The four course dinners were great and while we opted to not socialize at dinner, we loved that the host asked us if we wanted a table for 2 or to sit with others. The tables where couples and singles and sometimes families were put together always seemed to be having an enjoyable time. It should be noted, that while we didn't have any dietary restrictions, the chef at Alta Lodge, if given advance notice, will work with you to meet your dietary needs. I got the sense from other reviews, that he likes the occasional challenge.

The staff were excellent. From carrying our bags to our room, to answering questions to waiting tables in the dining room, the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. No request was too big.

A fellow skier stated that Alta Lodge is rustic and charming yet has all the amenities one really needs. How true! There was an ice machine (ice bags available at front desk, if you need to ice those knees at the end of a day or just need more ice than the bucket can handle). Boot dryers are available in most rooms, though in the original part of the lodge you need to request one. The hot tubs had a great view and were perfect for end of the day soaking. There was a dry sauna if that is what you like at the end of the day. The ski locker (one per room) in the basement was helpful as was the ski in/out ability. There is a ski rental & shop attached to the lodge which made meeting our equipment needs a cinch (all billable to my room). There were games to borrow or use in the communal areas (lobby & deck room) and DVDs to borrow if you brought a lap top. Have to admit I LOVED that there were no TVs in the rooms. It meant that we spent our downtime talking, playing games, reading and enjoying each others' company. While we didn't need to use the Kids' Club, it's cozy corner room looked like fun and we were able to borrow sleds to use after 4:45pm.

The other skiers who were staying at Alta were lovely. We met a number of interesting people who gave us (relatively new to the ski scene) great advice not only about Alta but about skiing in general. Many of the folks we spoke with had been coming annually to Alta Lodge for at least 5 years.

The only drawbacks to the lodge (very minor drawbacks) were that there are a lot of stairs due to the age of the lodge and how it expanded over the years. And the tow rope up to the lodge while WAY better than trudging up the hill in boots with skis over the shoulder, took some getting used to - tended to pull on the shoulder a bit. It would be perfect if a "J" bar or "T" bar or Magic Carpet were installed in place of the rope.

Why Alta Ski Area:
It was recommended to us by a friend who used to live in SLC. When we visited the web page, I liked the fact that ski school and ski rentals seemed reasonable, there were lots of green runs for beginners that are not all at the base of the mountain and therefore a funnel for every skier on the mountain to get to the lifts. And no snowboarders.

The reality of Alta was wonderful. The scenery couldn't be beat. The ski school is excellent (my daughter begged for more ski school as she had such a good time learning -- hooray Debbie & Calvin!). The group lesson I signed up for ended up being one-on-one instruction with a very experienced and articulate instructor who gave me great tips (Thank you Walt!). The base rope tow made getting between lift areas easy. Being able to bill everything except snacks and lunch to my room was fantastic. At the end of our trip, I signed a single bill and went on my way. I also appreciated that the Alta Shuttle could get us to and from SLC airport for less than a rental car and I didn't have to worry about parking. Alta made everything seriously easy.

Cost Benefit to Spring Skiing:
The temperatures were generally in the 40s and 50s at the base during our trip and made for enjoyable skiing though the snow got a bit slushy by the end of the day. Because we came in April we were able to take advantage of two big price savers: 1) Alta Lodge had a deal where in April with a 4 night stay, kids stay and eat free. Our hotel bill was based on single occupancy. 2) Deep Powder House had a special where kids renting skis of 140cm or less, rented free. We saved some bucks!

If we do a ski trip again next year, we will certainly come to Alta and we will definitely stay at the Alta Lodge!

Room Tip: The rooms in the original lodge are perfect for two people (double bed or two twins). They are a gr...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Alta Lodge is my favorite ski lodging in the USA. It is the closest lodge to the base of the Collins lift....step out of the locker room, click into your bindings, ski a few hundred yards downhill and you can access the best skiing available anywhere in the world. The Lodge is the perfect spot to return "home" to after your ski day ends, whether you are cruising the blues or hiking to access the steeps. Après ski tea and a choice of home baked treats await you on your return. If you'd like something stronger to revive you, head upstairs to The Sitzmark for a beer, glass of wine or a cocktail....or just a glass of water and some really good company with other snow enthusiasts, who more often then not, are reliving the high points of their ski day.
I often go on ski trips alone as my husband isn't a skier. Alta Lodge, I can honestly say, is a spot where I never feel out of place as a single (though married) female traveller. When I enter the dining room I never get an odd look when I say I'm dining by myself. Generally, I'm given a choice of dining with other solo travelers or having my own table. I usually opt to dine with others. I have always found my fellow diners to be interesting and fun to talk to. The menu choices have something for every taste and there is always a vegetarian offering. The food is well prepared and presented and delicious.
My favorite rooms are in the older part of the lodge. They contain two single beds. The walls are pine. I've been in rooms where I share a bathroom and rooms where I have my own bathroom. Both types are comfortable. The rooms with a small or shared bathroom have a sink in the room so you needn't share or put off brushing your teeth or washing your face if someone else is showering. The beds, pillows, and bedding are always comfortable. I've never stayed in the newer rooms, so cannot comment on them.
I'm reluctant to share this review because I want to keep the Alta Lodge experience to myself. It is especially hard to share a review of the Lodge's Women's Camp because, as a frequent attendee, I have an interest in keeping the groups small. However, my review wouldn't be complete without mentioning the specialty ski camps that Alta Lodge offers. I've been a repeat camper to the January Women's Camp. Earlier this month, I attended the Women's Spring Camp for the first time. Every time I attend camp my skiing improves by leaps and bounds. What I love most about camp is the opportunity to ski expert terrain with a small group of female skiers of similar ability and a super instructor. If you want glitz and glamour then go elsewhere. But if you love to ski hard, eat well, sleep comfortably then wake up and do all that again, you can't beat Alta Lodge.

Room Tip: The rooms in the original section are more rustic and sometimes you can hear people in the hallway...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

If you are in Alta on a Sunday, do NOT miss this brunch!!! We enjoyed it this past Sunday and it was one of the most amazing brunches I have ever had the opportunity to enjoy. If you are not in Alta on a Sunday, still, do not miss this gem of a restaurant in this lodge!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

We had a week in Alta Lodge, right after Presidents week. As we drove up from SLC, a storm front rolled in, and we had 12 inches of snow over the next day. This was my first time at Alta Lodge, but surely not the last. As others have observed, the staff are very hospitable. The hot tub is soothing after a long day on the slopes.
Alta resort is extraordinary, but only if you are willing to put some work into the runs. Most of the best runs are accessible only after a traverse or a climb, or both. But the powder we experienced made even the longest climb seem insignificant. And the lack of snowboarders is a real plus for skiers.
Quite a number of the lodge guests were over 60, some 80+ , and all enjoyed the resort. Of course the fitter you are, the better your skiing experience will be.

Room Tip: Numbers 30 -40 were closer tote main lounge area. We stayed in 109. Which faced the sun and the moun...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Hardyville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

We just completed our second stay at Alta Lodge and have already booked for the same time next year. This Lodge is a great example of the Alta experience. Friendly, unpretentious people who come to Alta because they love to ski in the best snow in the world and join other people who generously share their support and ideas, no matter what level of expertise.

The Lodge quietly makes your stay easy, from staff who transport luggage and equipment to ski lockers and rooms, to afternoon Starbucks, tea, and other refreshments as you share your day's experiences with new friends made at the Lodge who return each year, to enjoying the morning's NY Times fireside with coffee, cereal and fruit in the lobby for early risers.

No wonder Alta Lodge has guests who have been coming for 30 years.

Room Tip: If you opt for one of the original lodge rooms, they are small but pleasant. Since most of your time...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
teleskier97
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

I've stayed in a lot of different places over the years but the Alta Lodge is by far the ultimate Ski Lodge, this place is absolutely awesome. This is not your typical hotel, breakfast and four course dinner are included in the price. There are a variety of accommodations here from dorm style to luxurious accommodations. I had the opportunity to stay in two of the different types of rooms.

For the first half of my trip I was traveling alone so I was a bit apprehensive as to how this would all work, but everything went very nicely. For the first 3 nights I stayed in the mens dorm, which is a small room with three (or 4) beds, a dresser for each bed and a safe for each person and a sink. The first two nights I had it to myself and the third night another guy was in there as well. So, if you want the best inexpensive room at the Alta lodge and don't mind playing roommate roulette, this works. As for the room itself, it's a dorm room. Clean, no frills really. It's a bed which is all I wanted. In the dorm corridor which has 3 dorms, there are two individual non-gender specific bathrooms with shower. These are across so not a long walk to the bathroom

As for the rest of the experience here, meals are "generally" communal. I was staying by myself for the first few days so at breakfast and dinner the host who was awesome, by the way, joined me up with others, usually at a table of 8 or 9, mostly other solo skiers, some couples. I was there for merely a few hours and it was like I'd been there for 30 years. All of the guests are really nice, most have been coming for many many years. Expect lots of lively conversation that goes way beyond the whole "where are you from" genre. Dinner's an experience and everyone was extremely friendly. As for the crowd, it's mostly an older crowd, 40+, lots in their 50's-70's, even one lady in her 90's that's first in line at the Collins lift every single day. Although being in my late 20's and clearly the youngest guest at the lodge, I did not feel out of place. The general feel of the guests suggests that it's subtly patrician, lots of doctors, lawyer's, hedge fund managers, etc. However they are not in the least pretentious as those types can be at other places.

A tip for the solo traveler, the "singles" table's tends to form at about 6:30, so getting down to the lobby about that time will ensure that you get seated with others. Of course you could always ask for a solo table, but what's the fun in that? That's simply not the Alta lodge way.

As for the meals themselves, absolutely incredible, country club quality. Each night soup, salad, choice of 3 entree's and dessert. Breakfast is the same every day, buffet style eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast or pancakes, oat's, starch, and of course cereals, yogurt, etc. You can also get a special order from the kitchen if you'd prefer say a poached egg, or an egg white omlette.

Nightlife in Alta is essentially non-existent, the town and the lodge are generally to bed early and the lodge asks for quiet hours from 10pm on. True to its lodge atmosphere there are no televisions in the guest rooms, though there is one large TV in the deck room. Also, when I was there fell on Super Bowl Sunday, so they brought out a second TV up to the Sitzmark Club (the bar). The Sitzmark club is a lively apres ski bar, lots of guests and also lots of locals. A tip about the bar, the actual bar has 2 levels, most people order on the upper level which stands you about 5 feet above the bartender. It's common practice to kneel down (if your legs can handle it) when ordering.

The staff at this place are awesome. All were incredibly nice and helpful. You can tell that most of them work here so that they can ski...most sport the tell tale skier's "goggle tan."

For the second half of my stay I had a travel companion so we moved to one of the original lodge rooms which were very nice, 2 beds, sink and bathroom down the hall. The price of this per person wasn't much more than the dorm so we opted to go this route. For those that don't like the idea of bathroom down the hall, many of the lodge rooms have in room bathrooms, but they're a bit more. All of the rooms however have a water vaporizer to moisturize the otherwise dry Utah air; that's a touch that is very much appreciated.

This place is truly ski in ski out. Each room gets assigned a ski locker downstairs which has immediate access to the slopes. Access back to the lodge is a bit uphill, but there's a rope tow which is easy enough.

There's hot tubs which are nice after skiing, two of them to be precise. One is generally hotter than the other one, depending if you want the true hot tub heat therapy or just want to relax. If you'd like to have a drink in the hottub, you have to go up to the Sitzmark Club and ask for an unopened beverage to bring down, they will give you one. Also, there is a small shop in the ski locker room with a small selection of alcohol.

It's said that over 70% of Alta Lodge guests return year after year, I can see why. This may have been my first trip here, but it won't be my last.

Room Tip: Lots of choices from inexpensive dorms to rooms with shared bath's to pricey suites. When lookin...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank teleskier97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Alta's Rustler Lodge
#4 of 60 in Park City
Silver Fork Lodge
Silver Fork Lodge
#1 of 2 in Brighton

Been to Alta Lodge? Share your experiences!