“Alta Lodge”

Alta Lodge
Somerville
“Alta Lodge”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Comfortable rooms but not fancy. Excellent food!!!! real croissants for example. Staff are cheerful, knowledgeable and helpful. Personally, I liked the rooms. Not a Hilton Resort, much nicer than that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ElisabethSomerville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were in Utah for a short visit with our son and my wife's sisters, who live in Utah. We decided on Sunday Brunch at Alta Lodge. The price is VERY reasonable at $22.95. The food was good and the specialty items were a treat. We sat on the patio as the weather was perfect for a summer day, even a bit cool. The view was spectacular!!! Service was good, although waitress were very busy. The Host came around and talked to each table. Just a very, very nice time. You might find a more spectacular buffet, but for the price, quality, and view - can't be beat.

Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Alta Lodge is located so that no view disappoints. It was the perfect spot for a wedding and all the events surrounding the event.

The room itself was a bit dated, but still clean and comfortable.

The facilities at the Alta Lodge were perfect for the wedding we attended. From the rehearsal dinner to the reception everything was very well done. The private party we had was also not subject to Utah's terribly conservative pouring restrictions either.

The dinners we had were very well prepared, and the Sunday brunch was excellent.

The day of the wedding was spent hiking around beautiful Alta at peak wildflower bloom. We grilled out by the volleyball court. All weekend we spotted wildlife from moose, deer, chipmunks, Uinta ground squirrels, and lots of birds were spotted. The hummingbirds were numerous and amazing to see and hear.

All in all this was the perfect destination, and could only be better in the winter.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I attended a conference at the Snowbird Conference Center, a mile down the road from the Alta Lodge. I registered late and the Center was full, so I ended up staying at Alta. This was a bit inconvenient, as it is a mile away with a steep slope. I walked down in the morning and man are my shin muscles sore! But the Alta people were extremely nice in arranging a shuttle. Alta is very pleasant. The rooms are a little barebone and tend to overheat during the day--rooms are clearly designed to stay warm in the winter, not cool in the summer! The walls were a bit too thin--I could hear too much of my neighbors, who fortunately weren't doing anything x-rated. Breakfast was free--nice!--though minimal (bagels, cereal, fruit), but got the job done. Overall, I would have rather stayed at the Conference Center for convenience sake, but Alta was fine, and a bit cheaper.

Room Tip: maybe stay in rooms that don't get afternoon sun if you're there in the summer
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Our family has been visiting the lodge since 1973. IN 2014 all 11 of our family will be there to celebrate an important birthday. Over the years many things such as great food and caring help have been extraordinary. Any dietary needs we have had have been taken care of happily.
Two things cause us disappointment.. One which has always been present - serving red wine at the wrong temperature. One that is new in the last few years. The glasses in the room are no longer glass glass but the type of thin plastic we associate with a cheap motel.
We will continue to visit as long as we can!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Nice classic 20th century ski lodge with incredibly friendly staff and loyal clientele who come back every year to stay there for weeks at a time and ski Alta daily. Their breakfast and dinner common table is a great way to meet interesting people and find a ski buddy for the day. The hot tub is the perfect cure to a long day of taming the powder drenched slopes. Prices and room styles for every budget. Excellent apres ski bar upstairs too. Ski lockers downstairs, with private exit to the slopes -- you can't get any easier; rope tow backup up the hill. Ski from the locker down the hill right to Collins Lift.

N.B. hotel parking at Alta is scarce for all the properties; take the Alta Shuttle from the airport and you'll be fine; great ride, fair price and door-to-door service. Remember to drink lots of water at that altitude too.

Room Tip: Early season is a bit slower, so if you like a more quiet time, then December is for you.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We just got back from a one week stay at Alta Lodge and can't wait to go back next year. This was our first time at Alta Lodge and we loved it. Even though I hurt my knee the 1st day and couldn't go skiing the rest of the week, I still had a wonderful time. My boyfriend had a great time skiing though, and met some great friends to go skiing with. I liked that the lodge was so small and so comfortable. The staff was so welcoming and so accommodating and really went out of their way for you. From Mimi and Marcus, the owners,(they talked to everyone and learned everyone's names and made you feel like family) and their dog, Daisy. Front desk was excellent: Stella, George, Chelsea, Cliff. The servers were so friendly and pleasant: Kelly, Zoe, Stella, Laren, Sam, Dave, Gregg, Fritz, Kelner, Sarah. And even the shuttle drivers/bag carriers (sorry, I didn't get your names). The housekeeping staff did a good job as well, head housekeeper, Daphne.

I enjoyed just sitting in the lobby lounge and looking out the window watching the skiiers. They always had a fire going in the fireplace and it was great sitting by the fire. And they always had coffee and tea in the lounge all day. The meals were the most excellent meals I've ever had in a hotel. The breakfast was buffet style. They had pancakes, French toast, with real maple syrup, scrambled eggs(although you can order other style eggs from the kitchen), sausage links, bacon, oatmeal, potatoes, cereals, granola, yogurt, fresh fruit and juices. We ate such a big breakfast that we didn't even need lunch.

Then, at 3:00 was tea time. They had different cakes and cookies everyday, like banana bread, pumpkin bread, cranberry bread, amaretto cookies, biscotti. And coffee and all different kinds of tea. Their coffee, though, is Starbucks brand which is too strong for me, so I have to add water to it.

Every other day they had a wine and appetizer reception at 5:00. They had cheeses, crackers, meats, olives, oysters one night, meat skewers, chips and salsa, and asparagus. And a choice of red or white wine. Then at 6:00 was dinner. They were like 4 star dinners in a fine dining restaurant. We had prime rib, seared ahi, rack of lamb, beef wellington, duck, trout, eggplant parmesan, venison, salmon, mahimahi. All came with a different soup and salad each night and a dessert. I am still thinking about those dinners. Awesome! Sometimes they put you in a big table at dinner and we met some awesome people that we got to hang out with all week. And we even exchanged emails and will be seeing them next year and the years to come.

We went in the hot tub every night after dinner. It was great to sit in there and relax. Usually there was only one other person in there with us, so no crowds. I think most people must've went in after skiing, so after dinner was a good time to go in.

We had an original room (Room 2) which was the closest, right behind the front desk. It was great since I hurt my leg and didn't have to walk that far to get to the room. Sometimes it would be noisy at night, though, and early morning with all the people walking by. We had two twin beds(very comfy and very nice down comforter), and sink, toilet, and private shower. And a great view of the mountains from our window. We already reserved this same room for next year!

I can't say enough about Alta Lodge! Even though I couldn't go skiing, I still had the best time. My boyfriend loved the slopes and the powder. He did mostly Blue runs and loved them. Hopefully next year I can go skiing and won't get injured. Can't wait to go back to Alta Lodge!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Alta's Rustler Lodge
Snowpine Lodge
Snowpine Lodge
#2 of 5 in Alta
Alta Peruvian Lodge

Been to Alta Lodge? Share your experiences!