I've come to realize that what irritates me most are those hotels that pretend to be what they are not, but charge a room rate commensurate with their pretensions. GMD is a happy exception. They were upfront when I booked the room noting that GMD was "just a ski lodge." That sounded great to me. Location was a perfect 100' from the base Collins lift at Alta. But it is GMD's staff that really makes this place shine. From the greeting at check-in, to the early morning departure, the tone is authentic and friendly. There's a busy end-of-day bar crowd, and upstairs from 4-6pm there are free snacks and tea/coffee for guests -- which suited me, with my 18yr old son, just fine. Dinner and breakfast also are included in the room rate. Dinner runs 4 courses with meat and potatos my son attacked with gusto, crisp vegetables and varied-lettuce (thankfully none of those garden weeds served back east) salads that would have pleased my wife. The food was excellent and the waiters were pleasant and attentive. The February weekend crowd we saw was mostly serious skiers, with an occasional family thrown in. GMD facilities are perfectly adequate. Our room had an adjustable thermostat which controlled the electric heat. There was plenty of storage area in the room for ski equipment. The bathroom was ample, as was the hot water. If I were to quibble, there was some plumbing noise, and now and then we heard a neighbor. My biggest gripe was with the bed mattress, which sagged with age. But, except for the effect of altitude, I would have been sound asleep the moment I hit the pillow -- as I suspect most serious skiers who stay at GMD are. On price, GMD is not inexpensive. But the quick research I did placed it in line with the local competition. And the meals were excellent and included. Worth a visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Goldminer’s Daughter Lodge provides a welcoming, friendly staff with comfortable lodging in an unbeatable location. Steps from the base of Alta Ski Area's Collins and Wildcat lifts, we are home to one of Alta's only true ski-in, ski-out experiences. It is hard to compete with our location combined with our comfortable lodging, impeccable service, full breakfast and a four-course dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Goldminer's Daughter Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goldminer`s Daughter Hotel Alta
- Goldminer's Daughter Lodge Alta, Utah