“No frills. A true skier's lodge!”

Goldminer's Daughter Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alta
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The Goldminer's Daughter is exactly the type of room that true skiers need. The rooms are not fancy, but the beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean, and the location is perfect. The lodge is located right at the bottom of the Collins lift at Alta, which usually receives more snow than any other ski resort in North America, literally.

There is also a hot tub, family area, and fitness center in the basement of the lodge. The dining room on the third floor has pretty good breakfast and dinner, both of which are free: built into the price of the room. The bar on the second floor is alright. It does not serve any hard alcohol and Utah is not know for quality beer...

I'll definitely be going back soon. Good luck and happy powder days!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ddexter289

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Have been staying with Goldminer's for nearly 40 years when skiing at Alta (except for maybe 3 years when I rented a condo). That means about 25 times. Management has changed, some renovations were done, a wing was built and another rebuilt, somethings were upgraded...bottom line though: Goldminer's never really changes. It is like visiting a relative you can't wait to see once a year. It seems like it is about 70% groups of guy friends who meet to go ski for 3-7 days. Also plenty of couples and families though--old, young, straight and some same-sex--but what they all have in common is serious skiing. There is no real town of Alta and about zero to do at night outside the hotel. So the meal plan makes total sense. Food is quite decent at the main restaurant but there are inevitable glitches with the service or an order here and there. Staff are friendly; many are kids who work there for a year or two so don't expect Four Seasons type professionals--they're just mostly nice twenty-somethings who love to ski. Rooms are basic but functional. You get hair dryers and TVs but don't expect a mini-bar or 4 kinds of down comforters. The bar is fantastic and a great gathering place for guests and apres-skiers. Ski shop is well stocked and the ski/boot technicians are knowledgeable and good at what they do.

This is the perfect place to kick-back utterly without pretense and to relax before and after exhausting yourself on the slopes. And fwiw, the hotel has the best location in Alta just feet away from the main ticket center and the main lifts. In the morning you just walk outside and get on the chair lift. Life doesn't get much better than that.

As for the other lodges in Alta, I've seen them all and have had friends stay at all of them over the years. They are marginally better appointed and fancier and not worth twice the price, imo. But that's just me. I go to ski. Period. And Goldminer's is the perfect fit for me.

Room Tip: They're all pretty much the same. Convenience-wise I prefer the main building versus the annex.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank kyle10014
Reviewed 15 March 2013

new owners(ross and jen) since 2005 and they have been upgrading ever since
food is now top notch/service very good to excellent
everyone helpful!
great place to bring little kids--started bring ours when he was 6(wonderful ski school!!)
we see the same serious powder skiers every year

this year i counted--37 ski boot steps from the porch to the collins lift
you can stay at the other two hotels for 2 and 3 times as much but you will not get 2-3 times the value
can not say enough good things about the GD

Room Tip: not mountain view--snow grooming machines will wake you
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thomas6782
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I want to thank Goldminer's Daughter for such an amazing ski vacation. The hotel is literally in arm's length to the lift making it very easy to make first chair each morning! The staff was super friendly and accommodating. I travelled with a friend and we stayed in a room with a private bath and two double beds. The room was basic but comfortable. Breakfast and dinner are included with the room and there is an hour of appetizers for apre ski. The food was good and the menu was plentiful. The only draw back is that they do not serve liquor (Utah laws), so while it would have been nice to have an apre ski or dinner cocktail, beer and wine are your only options. We wanted to ski Snowbird on one of the days and the front desk arranged a shuttle to take us to the mountain and gave us a number to call when we were done, no worry about scheduling it ahead of time! No additional costs. On the day we checked out, we were able to store our bags in their storage room and shower in the sauna so we could ski the whole day. Overall, I could not have asked for a better trip. Skiing Alta was amazing and I am already looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank winnertravels
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I went to Alta to ski, and ski I did. Goldminer's was just steps from the main lift at Alta. I went in November at the beginning of the season and was one of only a handful of people there, so understand I was not bothered in the least. The staff was excellent and the food top notch. Every morning I went down to my locker and pulled my skis out, walked maybe 30 yards to the main lift and was on my way skiing. I know there are other lodges up on the mountain without the need for driving, however, none are as close as Goldminers. The day spa was also excellent and the ski rental place is just right on site. Honestly, there is not a better one-stop-shop ski place in Alta. I plan on going back, and when I do, I'll stay at Goldminer's.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I've been staying at GMD every year for the last nine years and yes, I may be a bit biased but this property has the best balance of location, accommodations, food, and service in the canyon. Most people who come to Alta are serious skiers and aren't interested in much more. With that in mind, GMD makes it so easy for the traveler.

Rooms are up to date and yes, basic. They are clean and the housekeeping staff is top notch.

I can't say enough about the front desk staff. They know customer service and they make every guest feel welcome. They go out of their way to accommodate special requests and there is never a hint of attitude.

The food has been consistently good although I was disappointed to see they had done away with the ommlette station this year.

I can't imagine anyone having a bad experience at GMD.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The hotel is perfectly located right next the central lifts in Alta ski resort. Provides great accommodations for families that come just for skiing in mind. Staff is very helpful and nice, although it won't hurt to train the younger guys.
The hotel is in the need of upgrade. We had problems with hot water, dripping faucets, very slow wifi....
The room price covers breakfasts and dinners. Very nice selection and food verities, although vegetarians might find it harder to find what they want to eat (pasta every day).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Alta's Rustler Lodge
Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Montage Deer Valley
Montage Deer Valley
#3 of 60 in Park City

Been to Goldminer's Daughter Lodge? Share your experiences!