All reviewscollins liftbreakfast and dinnerthird floorcan't beat the locationthe staff was super friendlyseveral optionssouppark cityski vacationfitness centerhousekeeping staffhooks to hangrooms are cleanyoung peopleno frillshigh endmy son
Reviewed 16 March 2017

This place is steps from the primary Collins and Wildcat Lifts. So you can't beat that for a pure ski trip. Motherlode ski shop is in the building and ultra convenient although the young retail clerks have attitude and don't want to be working there and could care less about you. The ski shop guys are one joint away from being incoherent and really don't care what they put you on for skis. If you are renting you are an out of town jerry and they are not interested in your vacation experience. You're not a local and thus you are not a real skier. Period. Food in the restaurant is good. Not great. Service staff is excellent and friendly. Rooms are comfortable and clean and are kept that way daily. The Saloon on floor 2 is warm, friendly, comfortable and fun with great pizza. The café on the ground floor, inside from the out door patio, is old dated, cramped and the food is horrible and I mean really bad. It's like the worst cafeteria food you can imagine made by people that have no interest or stake in what they are doing. It's really the mountain that is the draw here and this places central and unparalleled location to it's front door. The rest you can get at any B rated hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a foam mattress. The spring mattresses are almost unbearable.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at GMD for one or two trips a year for about fifteen years and always thought it was perfect for what we wanted ~ I recommended it to others who love to ski. It was not for everyone, but if you wanted a comfortable clean room close to the lifts, plenty of food and friendly service GMD delivered- year after year. That was until 2017-

I have now stayed here twice in 2017. Out of the first 7 dinners: 6 times they would not seat us before 7:45pm; 4 times they took our orders and then when the food should have arrived told us they were out of the specials we ordered; 3 times it took them over 90 minutes to get us our entrees; 2 times it took over 60 minutes for even the soup or salad to arrive. Water was never refilled in a timely manner.

Had I not described the problems to the manager in January, I might have thought they were unaware of the problem - I now think they just don't care.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank CTmountainman_10
Meisha L, Public Relations Manager at Goldminer's Daughter Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2017

We are so sorry you had a bad experience at the Lodge this year. Guest satisfaction is and always has been our #1 priority. We have forwarded your review to upper management at the Lodge to be addressed further. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and for helping us to improve.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

I have not skied Alta before so cannot compare the GMD with other lodges on most measures, but the location of the GMD is definitely the best in Alta for skiers and families who can ski. The hotel is right at the base of the Collins lift. First timers might prefer to stay near the Albion base.
The GMD is a great place for a ski holiday. It is not fancy but provides everything you could want in a friendly comfortable environment.
Our rooms were of good size (if not a little dated), beds comfortable and there is plenty of storage for luggage, ski gear etc. Can't remember the last time I saw a shower curtain though...
Breakfast and Dinner (included in room rate) are excellent with plenty of choices. Breakfast buffet is supplemented by eggs and omelettes to order. Dinner is 4 courses with regular mains menu of about 6 options plus additional nightly specials. Same for dessert. Most diners will be more than satisfied with pretty much everything served.
The hotel also has a cafe downstairs from which we grabbed coffee a couple of times and lunch once. Access to the slopes is directly from the cafe doors.
After skiing, we usually went to the saloon, which serves up sensational nachos, buffalo wings, pizzas etc. Day after day we could not help ourselves from ordering the nachos with chicken. Apparently due to licensing laws, they only serve beer and soft drinks, which might suit some of the people some of the time, but seriously limits the number of patrons in the place (IMHO).
Note to Hotel Management... This area of the hotel could and would be so much better if you could serve wine and spirits (dubbed "hard liquor" in Utah). I suspect you already know this though...
Shame because there is so much room up there and the views of the mountains and sun setting make for a great location to relax and chat after a hard day on the slopes.
Everyone at the GMD was fabulous, from the wait staff to the room cleaners to the front desk. Very friendly, nothing too much of a problem. Overall, one of the best set-ups for a family ski holiday I've been to. I would definitely not feel I needed to try any of the other lodges if/when I return to Alta. I think we picked the right place to stay the first time.
PS- If you have them and its not too much trouble, take your own skis. Hiring decent skis from the ski shop ends up costing a bomb.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on top level. They do have lifts but you end up walking quite a few stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Piste_and_pool
Reviewed 28 February 2017

I hope you consider the issues raised in this review before you book your lodging in Alta and particularly before you consider staying at Gold Miner's Daughter.

I have been coming to Alta to ski for 40 years, since the age of 10. I cut my teeth here and the place still holds a majestic feel as I ride the first chair up Collins or Wildcat. Over the years I’ve been lucky to stay at the Gold Miner’s Daughter, the Alta Lodge, the Rustler and a couple of places at Snowbird, including the Cliff. Due to the incredible view from the dining room and the unmatched location at the foot of Collins, I’ve returned most consistently to Gold Miner’s Daughter—despite the lodge’s shortcomings in a variety of areas. This year I took my kids to Alta and, without hesitation, paid premium rates ($550+/night) for our trip.

Before the serious event, where my children and I were threatened by the owner of the lodge, this is what we experienced:

- Incredibly poor food and service. We waited 90 minutes for salad and pasta to be served for dinner. The restaurant staff, which largely rotates every season, was poorly managed and largely clueless. The food, when it finally arrived was pathetically assembled and plated (in the case of the $11 minuscule, dressing-soaked assembly of greens they called a salad) and overcooked (as was the case with my $30 sliver of salmon). The next night things improved: it only took 65 minutes to get our meal! Breakfast is served buffet style, so there’s not a long wait, but the food is horrendous. The eggs were either swimming in under-cooked yolk or rubbery in texture. When I opted for the ‘special,’ assuming some attention would be put into that dish, I received two dry pancakes on a plate. Really? Special? Food is included with your lodging fee, so you feel you’d be paying double by eating elsewhere—which we eventually did for breakfast.

- Depressing accommodations. $550 doesn’t buy you much at the GMD, but the real disappointment is the total lack of aesthetics or creativity put into the environment of the rooms. It was barren, which 1 bath towel, a floor mat, and a hand towel for 3 people in a room meant for 4. No robes, no slippers, one bottle of shampoo and a cheap bar of soap.

- Broken sauna. Every time I’ve stayed here there sauna was cold. Every time. Eventually, someone does come down to flip the breaker that’s popped, but waiting 45 minutes for it to get hot isn’t very appealing.

- Chemical bath of a hot tub. The hot tub is uncomfortable an set in an environment even less inspiring than the unimaginative rooms. My eyes were bloodshot, my nose hurt and my skin was stinging after every use—and I have a hot tub at home.

But all that I’ve overlooked for years in favor of the prime location the GMD offers. What happened next is what I hope you’ll consider before booking at this lodge.

We were at Alta for one of the great snowfalls in the past 10 years: Wednesday and Thursday of February 22 and 23. Our flight left SLC late thursday so we planned to ski the entire day. We had pizza in the saloon of the GMD and, because the road was closed from 2-4, there was a massive backup of cars heading down the canyon. We were more than happy to hang out and let the traffic unwind as we waited for our shuttle to the airport. Suddenly it was announced that the road would close in 15 minutes (yep, 15 minutes) and that everyone who was not staying at the hotel had to leave. I immediately went downstairs to check with the front desk about my shuttle and, if I could not leave, availability at the hotel. The concierge/manager said she thought she could work something out but that she needed 30 minutes, clearly giving me the impression she could work something out. Somewhat relieved, I went back upstairs where my kids said some guy was telling them they had to leave. That same person came around to me and said the same thing. I informed him that I had been a guest at the hotel over the past week and that the front desk was looking into securing a room for the night. The situation quickly escalated from a road closure to ‘lockdown’—a state where ALL travel outside of hotels/residences is forbidden. The man came around again and told me I had to leave the hotel and I again informed him that I was pretty certain I’d be spending the night. I walked over to the bar to get a beer as I worked on changing my flights and rebooking travel out of the canyon. The man then told the bartender not to serve me, as I was not a guest. I questioned him but he scurried off. Now worried about my situation, I headed back downstairs where the staff was still working on verifying that they had space (which seemed totally absurd, as I was now forbidden to travel to another hotel and it seemed all of the hotels were booked anyway. What was I supposed to do? What was anyone supposed to do?! This was turning into a genuine emergency, as reports were coming in of avalanches coming increasingly near the resort. There was PLENTY of space in the salon, restaurant and rec hall to house anyone stranded—yet this guy was kicking people out into a blizzard!). After working with the front desk for a while, the guy who was trying to kick me out appeared again and I asked the staff who he was. They were all silent, and I realized he was the owned of the hotel. I looked at him as asked, ‘are you the owner!? and he again ran away. The staff confirmed that he was and also said they had found a room for me and my children. My kids then came downstairs, frightened, and said the man had been telling them to leave again. I was appalled. I couldn’t believe that the owner of the hotel would deal directly with children like that and attempt to jettison people into a very vulnerable and life-threatening situation. It was beyond rude, it was unethical. I quickly made a few calls to nearby hotels and finally found a room at the Peruvian. I told the front desk that I refused to stay at the hotel and asked that they drive me across the lot. They got permission from the Marshal and shuttled us to the Peruvian, which not only took us in under difficult circumstances but gave us a discount on the rooms.

The one good thing to come out this experience is that I now know not only how despicable the owner of the GMD is (which explains a lot about how the place looks and works) but I now know that the Peruvian is the superior place to stay: better culture, better aesthetics and ambiance, better management, better bar, better food. That's where I'll be next time we go to Alta.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank Andrew-SFO
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

This is my 8th year at the Goldminer's Daughter and I could not imagine staying anywhere else when skiing Alta. The location is perfect but what makes GMD outstanding are the staff. This trip we got stranded due to avalanches closing the Canyon Road. Amber, Nick, Gabe and Liz at the front desk went above and beyond to help find us (& others) accommodations, lend us shovels to dig out the car (buried under 4+ feet of snow), and kept us posted once the road was reopened. This saved us time and worry so that we were free to ski and enjoy the gorgeous Alta powder!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family