TripAdvisor
All reviewscollins liftbreakfast and dinnerski shopthird floorcan't beat the locationhot tubthe staff was super friendlyseveral optionsbreakfast meatspowder housecommunity tabledining roomrecreation roomsouppark cityski vacationfitness center
Reviewed 23 March 2017

This isn't a frilly, bells and whistles sort of place. It is rustic and situated in a wonderful spot at the foot of lot's of powder! Our family had two suites and one normal sized room on the third floor in the northeast wing. It seemed to be a quiet corner of the hotel which was nice for our family (two young children) as we didn't feel like we were bothering other guests.

The rooms are a good size (we weren't spending much time inside) and well kept. Everything was clean and in working order and the housekeeping staff was attentive to our room each day. The water in the shower was a little finicky going from warm to really hot but oh well, kept us on our toes!

The staff at the desk, in the restaurant and throughout the hotel were nice, polite and attentive. Our wait staff at each meal was different and some were better than others, but they were all kind. There were certainly some that made it seem a bit obvious that they were there to ski and work occasionally. Not to mention they all had nice goggle tans!

The food was good and plentiful. There was always enough food and several options. I could see how the menu would get a bit old if we stayed any longer, but I was able to have something different most of the time.

While this isn't a real extravagant place, it's nice and you can't beat the location. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 17 March 2017

I decided at the last minute to take a ski trip to Alta as part of my Mountain Collective ski experience. I'd never been there before, so picked GDL out of the recommendations as being closest to the Collins lift.

The accommodations and food exceeded my expectations. The exterior façade is without charm, but that's true for most of the development in Alta and Snowbird. The ambiance of the hotel is definitely 1970s ski house, with wooden paneling and what looks like indoor-outdoor carpet in the corridors and low ceilings throughout.

I stayed in the North Wing, room 604, which I will ask for again. It does not face the ski slope, but the view uphill of the Alta Lodge and the peaks above were just fine. This is a room with two queen beds and attached bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable (and I'm picky about beds); the linens and towels were quite good. I did not use the TV, but the wireless service was speedy.

When I arrived, the front desk clerk asked if I would like to dine alone, or would I like to join the "community table", which she explained was a group of strangers seated together. I was happy to join the community table, and found over my four-night stay that many people return to GMD year after year, making friends. One of my dinner partners was over 80 and had been staying for years.

Breakfast, après-ski snacks, and dinner are included in the room price. Dinner was uniformly excellent in quality, while the service varied. It appears that the waitstaff are recruited each year for the season, and the lack of experience showed. The service was the slowest the first night when the community table seated 12 people. The dinner menu includes soup, salad, the entree, and dessert. Typically there are two soup choices, four salad choices, and seven entree choices. I ate a different entree every day, and enjoyed them all -- I even got my salmon rare, as I like it. One night there was a special dish, a house-cured salmon salad -- it was the best cured salmon I've had in years. The beer and wine list is adequate; I found a red wine I liked and stuck with it.

Breakfast is served as a buffet, with juices, scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, pancakes, a granola bar, a pastry bar, and a fruit platter; a la carte items are also available. The buffet was just perfect for me, so I did not try out any of the other offerings.

The après-ski offerings are also a buffet of sliced cold-cuts, an olive and pickle platter, a cheese platter, a fruit platter, and breads and spreads. I had to hold back as to not to spoil my dinner. Tea and coffee are complimentary and there is a decent wine and beer list available to purchase.

I did not patronize the Goldminer's Saloon, which is open from 11 am to 11 pm, serving beer and pizza (mostly). I don't care for pizzaThe beer selection is fine, but different than what's available in the dining room. Utah has remarkable liquor licensing laws.

I did have lunch at the Slopeside Cafe. It's standard ski resort fare, chili, sandwiches and the like. The food at Alf's Restaurant and The Watkins Cafe (both on the mountain and operated by the resort) was more appealing. I'm going to try the Collins Grill next time.

I had intended to get a massage at the spa, but the timing never worked out. I did use the hot tub, which is large. I had planned on using the sauna, but forgot to turn it on in time. It would be helpful if the staff turned on the sauna at say 3:00 pm each day, so it is sufficiently hot for the after-ski crowd.

The hotel has a recreation room in the basement, with comfortable seating, a selection of books, pool tables and I think a pingpong table. I did find some books to read, but didn't make much use of the recreation room other than that.

I rented my skis and poles from Powder House, which is attached to GMD, but I believe a separate company. The service and quality was quite good.

I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for slope-facing rooms. The rooms on the second and third floor closest to the Saloon might be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank LizDitz
Reviewed 16 March 2017

This place is steps from the primary Collins and Wildcat Lifts. So you can't beat that for a pure ski trip. Motherlode ski shop is in the building and ultra convenient although the young retail clerks have attitude and don't want to be working there and could care less about you. The ski shop guys are one joint away from being incoherent and really don't care what they put you on for skis. If you are renting you are an out of town jerry and they are not interested in your vacation experience. You're not a local and thus you are not a real skier. Period. Food in the restaurant is good. Not great. Service staff is excellent and friendly. Rooms are comfortable and clean and are kept that way daily. The Saloon on floor 2 is warm, friendly, comfortable and fun with great pizza. The café on the ground floor, inside from the out door patio, is old dated, cramped and the food is horrible and I mean really bad. It's like the worst cafeteria food you can imagine made by people that have no interest or stake in what they are doing. It's really the mountain that is the draw here and this places central and unparalleled location to it's front door. The rest you can get at any B rated hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a foam mattress. The spring mattresses are almost unbearable.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at GMD for one or two trips a year for about fifteen years and always thought it was perfect for what we wanted ~ I recommended it to others who love to ski. It was not for everyone, but if you wanted a comfortable clean room close to the lifts, plenty of food and friendly service GMD delivered- year after year. That was until 2017-

I have now stayed here twice in 2017. Out of the first 7 dinners: 6 times they would not seat us before 7:45pm; 4 times they took our orders and then when the food should have arrived told us they were out of the specials we ordered; 3 times it took them over 90 minutes to get us our entrees; 2 times it took over 60 minutes for even the soup or salad to arrive. Water was never refilled in a timely manner.

Had I not described the problems to the manager in January, I might have thought they were unaware of the problem - I now think they just don't care.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank CTmountainman_10
Meisha L, Public Relations Manager at Goldminer's Daughter Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2017

We are so sorry you had a bad experience at the Lodge this year. Guest satisfaction is and always has been our #1 priority. We have forwarded your review to upper management at the Lodge to be addressed further. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and for helping us to improve.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

I have not skied Alta before so cannot compare the GMD with other lodges on most measures, but the location of the GMD is definitely the best in Alta for skiers and families who can ski. The hotel is right at the base of the Collins lift. First timers might prefer to stay near the Albion base.
The GMD is a great place for a ski holiday. It is not fancy but provides everything you could want in a friendly comfortable environment.
Our rooms were of good size (if not a little dated), beds comfortable and there is plenty of storage for luggage, ski gear etc. Can't remember the last time I saw a shower curtain though...
Breakfast and Dinner (included in room rate) are excellent with plenty of choices. Breakfast buffet is supplemented by eggs and omelettes to order. Dinner is 4 courses with regular mains menu of about 6 options plus additional nightly specials. Same for dessert. Most diners will be more than satisfied with pretty much everything served.
The hotel also has a cafe downstairs from which we grabbed coffee a couple of times and lunch once. Access to the slopes is directly from the cafe doors.
After skiing, we usually went to the saloon, which serves up sensational nachos, buffalo wings, pizzas etc. Day after day we could not help ourselves from ordering the nachos with chicken. Apparently due to licensing laws, they only serve beer and soft drinks, which might suit some of the people some of the time, but seriously limits the number of patrons in the place (IMHO).
Note to Hotel Management... This area of the hotel could and would be so much better if you could serve wine and spirits (dubbed "hard liquor" in Utah). I suspect you already know this though...
Shame because there is so much room up there and the views of the mountains and sun setting make for a great location to relax and chat after a hard day on the slopes.
Everyone at the GMD was fabulous, from the wait staff to the room cleaners to the front desk. Very friendly, nothing too much of a problem. Overall, one of the best set-ups for a family ski holiday I've been to. I would definitely not feel I needed to try any of the other lodges if/when I return to Alta. I think we picked the right place to stay the first time.
PS- If you have them and its not too much trouble, take your own skis. Hiring decent skis from the ski shop ends up costing a bomb.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on top level. They do have lifts but you end up walking quite a few stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends