“The Motel 6 of B&B's”
Review of Arlington Inn

Arlington Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Arlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I just had the unfortunate opportunity to stay at this B&B. We were placed in the Arbor View room which had the appearance of a trailer overstuffed w/ furniture. Very cheap feeling construction including a beam stretching the room trying to give the feel of a timber frame building (I assume), but it was just so out of place it looked ridiculous. The toilet was cracked and stained and there was enough mildew on the shower that I would not use it.

Breakfast the next morning was not much better. The water was the worst tasting I have ever drank. It's possible that this is what water in Arlington, VT tastes like, but water is not supposed to have a taste, and for $330/night, one would think this place could find a solution. Burned toast and muffins, slightly cold and soggy potatoes, and undercooked egged rounded out the breakfast. Yum.

My one compliment and the only thing saving the Arlington Inn from a rating of "Terrible" would be the staff. In out short 12 hours there, we had 3 brief encounters with employees, but all were very friendly and welcoming.

With what has to be hundreds of options for B&Bs along route 7, my advice would be to skip the Arlington Inn and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mpt1234

Reviewed 9 September 2009

I was assured by AAA that this Vermont Country Inn is rated "Three Diamonds", so I expected a very nice Country Inn. When we arrived at check-in time (1-3PM), we were shown to our room in the 18th century historic-plaque'd former parsonage next door to the actual "Arlington Country Inn" - the odor of mildew was overpowering. The toilet seat was chipped and looked the worse for wear; it was obvious where the wall-to-wall was vacuumed and where is was never vacuumed, there were lines of demarcation where the vacuum apparently never has gone. The bedding was old and shabby, the mattress was very, very hard, the pillows were old, and matted, very hard. There was no "second emergency exit" - aren't there supposed to be two exits?? After we turned the air conditioner on we discovered, upon closer examination, that the air conditioner filter apparently has not been cleaned (ever?) - it was nearly totally blocked by lint and dust.
The TV was at least 15 years old, and because of its position in an Amoire, could not be turned to face the bed. How much would a new toilet seat and a set of new bedding set the owners back? It was obvious that this Inn was run on a very tight margin. I will say that the complimentary full breakfast was superb; the bread was wonderful, the muffins wonderful, the omelet exemplary, the corned beef hash was homemade and out of this world wonderful. The dinner menu was very pricey, approximately $26 $32; it might have been similarly wonderful, but we found cheaper and very good eats elsewhere. I am not sure what the other rooms at this Inn were like, but would advise anyone not to accept a room at the house next door, the old parsonage.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We were touring New England and picked up a 2006 copy of Frommer's guidebook, which rated it 3 stars, which is a pretty good rating from Frommer's. We called, and arranged for a three-night stay. The rate was $169 for the first night, an $189 for the next two, which were weekend nights.

When we arrived, the first sign of something amiss was the grounds. We had noticed time and again how much pride Vermonters take in their gardens, and each of the other inns we visited had well-kept grounds. The pathway to the front porch was overgrown.

The National Registry plaque by the door heartened me. Dave, the restaurant manager who checked us in, was casual and nice, but when dumped a cup full of keys on the desk, and rooted around for ours, I began to wonder. A quick look around the dining room and tavern indicated a place with a lot of potential, a lot of history, a lot of charm, but... it was a little worse for wear. Not well kept. You just didn't see the pride of ownership that you see elsewhere.

Dave took us to our room, which was a sort of attic library. It was hot, so he suggested turning on the air conditioner. I told him we preferred fresh air, so I opened the windows. Each sill was filthy and filled with dead bugs, cobwebs, etc. The porch outside one of the windows was badly in need of a paint job. I looked at the air conditioner and could only guess at the condition of the air filter.

I turned on some of the lights, and the primary accent lights above the fireplace did not work. We looked at the bulbs, and they clearly were burned out. I decided to go down and ask for some fresh bulbs, but first, after a long drive, I wanted to freshen up. I washed my face, and took a towel from the rack, and it was sour.

THAT WAS IT. WE WERE OUTTA THERE!!

We went down the road to the Reluctant Panther and got a fantastic room, truly first class, clean, comfortable, 21st Century amenities, FOR THE SAME PRICE.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My DH took me this morning to the Inn for their Mother's Day Brunch. I had never been in the place for any reason before. They are doing a lot of work on parts of the building. We had to enter through the tavern instead of the main door. No one paid any attention too us when we arrived, and waited to be seated. I thought the dinning area, which is broke up into small rooms, were very nicely decorated. The brunch was nice with a good slection of foods, I thought the gentleman cooking at the egg station seemed haired and a bit bossy, but he did make a good omlette. The waiters were a bit slow getting around to the tables, but were quite friendly.

All in all the food was good, and the location was quite lovely. I would however say that there are better brunches in the area. The Hubby and both decided this was our last trip, and we go back to the tried and true.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2009

The Arlington Inn could be a charming place if they would take care of the property with the updates it so badly needs. A good cleaning staff would help as well. The food was very good and we would go back for dinner but probably not for an overnight stay.

We spent 2 nights at the Arlington Inn including Thanksgiving. The Thanksgiving meal was outstanding and the 2 breakfasts that were included in our inn package were very good as well.

We chose to stay in the main inn as we love historic atmosphere. We understand ANTIQUE however, there were several problems with our room that should be corrected in order to experience a pleasant stay.

The ancient radiator heater came on only twice a day. Usually once in the morning and once around 10 pm. It became so hot we had to open the door to the outside porch for relief. No adjustmanet could be made.Thankfully,we did have a nice gas fireplace that we ran all the time when the room cooled down when the radiator was off.

The bathroom was freezing and had a wall heater that blew only cold air. We had to leave the bathroom door open for heat. The sink stopper did not work and was stuck in the down position. My husband had to pry the stopper out and leave it out so the sink would drain. The water temperture in the shower was difficult to regulate…either too hot or too cold.

The room could have used a good cleaning. It was very dusty….floor and furniture, light fixtures, etc. Bed linens were OK but towels were worn.

The grounds could use some upkeep as well. .We noted.rotting pumpkins on the porch.

We expected to eat Thanksgiving dinner in the main dining room since we were told when we made reservations guests at the inn would get a “nice” table.We were delegated to the cold solarium they use for breakfast. Imagine a stone floor and being surrounded by windows in Nov.! We were freezing by the end of the meal.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 15 October 2008

This place is pathetic. Complete with unkept grounds, tasteless interiors, stained furniture, washbasins, baths, toilets... you name it! Lame lame fireplace barely got it going even when the thermostat was at hyper heat. It really is a cheesy, overpriced inn where they are happy to charge but haven taken the time or the effort to keep up the place.Very tacky to say the least. AVOID

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nyc_t08
Reviewed 8 April 2008

My fiancee and I visited the Arlington Inn in November 2007 to get away for the weekend. It was our first time in Vermont and we enjoyed every minute of it thanks to the Arlington Inn. We stayed in the Justin James Suite. It was spacious, cozy and clean. Not to mention the fireplace, hot tub and private entrance to and from the separate house. Vermont was appropriately freezing but the fireplace did the job wonderfully. I can not mention enough about the food in Vermont. We had dinner at the Arlington Inn upon arriving and it was perfect. Steak was outstanding, and we were seated right by the fireplace, and had the room to ourselves. The breakfast kicked ass too. In addition, do not visit Arlington without having dinner once at Jonothan's Table. It's a few miles down from the Arlington Inn, behind a vegetable/fruit stand/market. It was one of the greatest dinners I've ever had. Some of the best shrimp cocktail in my whole life and every thing we ate from appetizer to entree was from the night's seven specials. Oh and shopping in Manchester was fun too... My only suggestion would be to visit closer to Christmas to really enjoy the festivities, decorations and snow. Check out Hildene too, it was beautiful and not so big to be overwhelming.

The food was so good that I would eat at every one of these places separately even if, for whatever reason, we chose not to stay at the Arlington Inn... and we regularly eat out in NYC. To be honest, we've considered making the drive just for Jonothan's Table. DO NOT MISS IT!

• Stayed: November 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Manchester View
West Mountain Inn
West Mountain Inn
#1 of 8 in Arlington
The Ira Allen House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Arlington Inn? Share your experiences!