“Go on a clear day”
Review of Mount Equinox

Mount Equinox
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Arlington
More attraction details
Owner description: Drive this scenic mountain which is also used as a outdoor classroom for the study of various species of plants and animals. At 5.2 miles, the Mount Equinox Skyline Drive is the longest privately owned paved toll road in the U.S. Those who prefer to hike can pick up a trail map at the Toll House. At the top of the mountain is our new Saint Bruno Scenic Viewing Center packed with info about Equinox Mountain and the Carthusian Monks. The private property which is 7,000 acres is owned by the Carthusain monks. A cloistered order of Catholic monks. There is the Catholic gift shop at the bottom of the mountain and also souvenirs from your trip.
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We enjoyed the drive up Mount Equinox and took a short hike at the top. They are in the middle of constructing a new visitor center, so a construction area was blocked off, but you could still hike around. We went on an "OK" day weather-wise. It wasn't raining, but was pretty overcast. I'm sure it would have had much more impressive views if we had been able to go on a clear day. But still enjoyed it.

All reviews
"toll house"
"entrance fee"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 25 October 2011

It hurts me to give such a low rating to something that could be wonderful. After I purchased my ticket, I was informed that there was construction work at the top of the mountain and the only way to get views was to hike to Lookout Rock. I had already hiked other trails on the mountain and had planned on enjoying the drive and the views rather than hiking. Good thing I wore my tennis shoes. I asked if the path was marked and I was told there were signs. I was also given a map .. but it was pretty worthless. I drove to the top of the mountain ... beautiful drive. The road is in great condition. Make sure to stop along the way to check out the views. Once parked at the summit, I stumbled around for 5-10 minutes before finding the trailhead for Lookout Rock. It looked like a parking area for the construction crew. I wandered about 0.2 mile before coming to a road block. Utility trucks were blocking the way and it appeared to be the end of the path. Fortunately, there were some workers there and I asked if I was headed in the right direction. They pointed towards a small trail in the far left corner from where I was standing. I never would have seen it if they weren't there to point out the path. I continued another 0.6 miles to Lookout Rock. I would have been very unhappy if I were not prepared to hike. Spots of the trail were very muddy ... I was sinking in mud ankle deep. I realize this is not the fault of the employees of the Skyline Drive ... but a little forewarning would have been nice. This would not have been a good hike for families with young children. And they would be disappointed to drive to the summit only to find out a hike 1+ mile hike was required for any views of the town below. Hopefully when the construction is finished this will be a much more enjoyable activity. I would recommend calling before visiting Mt Equinox to check on the status of the construction.

4  Thank Smessen
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We paid $16 (10 for car and 2 for each person). There are really no signs to guide you or tell you what is what. The ladies at the gate helped a bit and did warn us that there was construction at the top, so we would not get the full 360 views.
We took the trail to "look-out rock". Its a good mile of easy to moderate hiking. Nice view of Manchester down below. Its basically one bench behind a couple of boulders in a very small clearing overlooking the town. They told us the construction of the lodge at the top would be done by next summer.

1  Thank Mauri70
Reviewed 22 May 2011

3 of us started our climb@ 9:30a.m. not knowing what to expect or how long it might take.
We took the blue summit trail from behind Burr & Burton Academy. The trail starts getting pretty steep on the upper 3rd of the trail but we made the summit in 2 hours. Really no views along the way until you reach the summit. A short hike over to lookout point has great views of Manchester and points east. Our trip back down the mountain took 1 hour 20 minutes. Trails are well marked and easy to hike, the blue trail gets rockier and steeper the higher you, suggest shoes/boots with excellent traction.

15  Thank jswick