“Keep Driving!”

Cuisines: American
Albany, New York
“Keep Driving!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 1130 on a Sunday knowing full well it would not be a quick stop-- we tried two other breakfast places in Manchester and saw the lines out the door-- but thought Arlington was a bit removed from the downtown crowds.

The main dining room was filled and we were told we would have a wait to order and to be served. We said okay and were ushered to an outer dining room. After ten minutes we received some water and ten minutes later menus were put down. I was very nice and said while I know there is a wait, could we please have some coffee. The coffee was delivered and about 12 noon our egg orders were taken. At 1225p-- almost an hour after we walked in the door--we inquired about the status of our orderand were told the orders were being prepared. BTW-- we saw two plates sitting on top of the order station. Also, the dining room was empty at this time. Ten minutes later the plates (eggs and toast) arrived. I touched the toast-- it was cold and stale. The eggs were cold. The waitress said, "never mind, I will take it back" in a very gruff manner. We put $5 on the table for the coffee and left! Stay away at all costs! These people do not know how to run a restaurant!

• Visited February 2014

Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Simple environment but great food”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We come every year from Europe for vacation in Manchester, Vermont. Every time we take almost all our lunches when we are not somewhere in the mountains at Chauncey's. Sometimes we even take 2nd breakfast of the day - after having "blue blood" eggs in one of top luxurious neighbouring hotels. Some years ago we discovered this nice place. Not to promising from outside however food is delicious. Simple, however always fine, fresh, big portions, good choice. The service is top when there is granny or her granddaughter helping you. If you are not of good luck you might don't feel so welcome when being served by other lady. Never mind, to experience real American pioneer countryside atmosphere, take a lunch or breakfast in this nice place. And safe some space for gorgeous cakes and pies.

• Visited January 2014
Albany, New York
“all time favorate,our #2 home”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

we stop at chaunceys every time in the area[two times a month anyway]and we have tried every meal and at different times of day,the décor,service and meals are the best and I mean the best.We have traveled many a mile and just don't find this kind of establishment.The burger selection is and has been about 16 plus,and I find it helpful to know there could be a wait,however long it may be

• Visited December 2013
Tidewater Virginia
“Why waste your money”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Sign out front advertised a huge selection of burgers. Stopped for lunch around 1:00 was told no tables available asked if I could sit at the bar. There were empty tables. I felt forgotten at the bar despite it being between the kitchen and the dining room. Bar area was disorganized and dusty. I ordered a burger from the short list on the menu, what happened to the huge selection they advertised out front. Got a hohum burger. Don't waste your time and money here.

• Visited October 2013
Montgomery, New York
“Worst experience ever- and we didn't even get to taste the food!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I went to Chauncey's to grab breakfast a few weekends ago while camping not far up the road. It was our first experience there- and undoubtedly our last! When we walked in, there was a hand written sign which appeared to be posted by the owner, that said "Please be prepared to wait a while to be seated. Please know we are doing the best we can." Ok, first red flag! We stood there for at least 10 minutes, 2 waitresses looked straight at us and never said a word. The place wasn't THAT busy. Then an older woman came over and waved us to a table - still no hello, sorry for the wait, etc. We sat down and she sort of threw menus at us asking us if we wanted coffee. I ordered decaf, he orderd regular. When she returned with coffees, she hesitated as to which one was which. Even after the crappy experience so far, I was very nice and just asked " Are you sure that's the decaf?" (I am pregnant and cannot drink caffeine normally anyway). Her reply: A very nasty, loud "Oh come on! I know what I'm doing!" I lost it just then and said, "Do you? Because we just stood for over 10 minutes without so much as a greeting and now you are giving us this kind of service?" She began to argue with me. That's when my husband told her to stop and we walked out. Absolutely atrocious and unbelievable. Still shocked! Giving it one star because I had to in order to write the review, otherwise I would tell anyone to stay far away from this place!

• Visited October 2013