We booked this place ourselves on the back of Trip Advisor reviews and had a 2 night stay during our self drive tour of New England and were extremely disappointed. Having stayed in 9 different inns and B&Bs during our tour, ranging from the expensive to not so expensive I feel we are in a good position to comment on our experiences. THIS PLACE WAS THE 2ND MOST EXPENSIVE WE STAYED IN AND WAS – BY SOME DISTANCE – THE WORST.
It does have its good points - the property is lovely and is set in a stunning location. However, everywhere else we stayed we received a warm welcome from friendly staff/owners who took a genuine interest in us which continued throughout the stay. Here there was no such welcome or interest and although the staff were polite, with one exception which is expanded on later, they treated us as you would find in one of the large, more impersonal, chain hotels rather than the Inn accommodation it is.
We stayed in Room 3, a mini suite. It was functional and comfortable albeit the bathroom was a little cramped and using the hand basin in particular felt claustrophobic. There were none of the in room amenities we had elsewhere – no TV, no telephone, no bedside clock, no selection of toiletries. Soap and shampoo were provided in wall dispensers, something you might expect in the most basic of accommodation.
It was our practice to tidy our bed before leaving for the day and, everywhere else we stayed, we would find it remade when we returned. Not here, the bed was exactly as we’d left it in the morning. Additionally an empty glass on the bedside table used for water had not been moved or replaced with a clean one.
Complimentary tea , coffee and cookies were available adjacent to the kitchen area but no fruit or soft drinks/water as we had had in other places and neither was it as well presented.
The breakfasts were good with plenty of it and different 'specials' each day. Dinner, too, was pretty good but spoiled by the attitude of the waitress we had on both evenings. On the second evening when asked the usual question ‘is everything ok with your meal’ I replied saying the steak was excellent but the vegetables could have been warmer. Her response was that it is gourmet food, I can change it but it will be no different!
This Inn has been a long time member of the Select Registry of Inns which boasts of high standards, quality assurance via independent inspections etc. Perhaps the Inn has become complacent or we caught them at a bad time but it’s as well I wasn’t an inspector! Whilst my individual ratings would suggest an overall rating of at least average I feel bound to mark the rating as poor because of our overall experience. We were glad to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Visitors to the West Mountain Inn are surrounded by spacious, antique-filled guest rooms, fantastic views, and 150 acres of gardens, lawns, and woodlands. Guests can explore miles of trails, visit alpacas, walk our labyrinth, flyfish or canoe the Battenkill River and relax in the Adirondack chairs on the front lawn. The Inn’s wood-paneled dining room provides the perfect setting for the lavish breakfasts and sumptuous 5-course dinners created daily by our award-winning chef. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your West Mountain Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Mountain Hotel Arlington
- West Mountain Inn Arlington, Vermont - Green Mountains