“Lovely and historic, but with some quirks.”

The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Birmingham, Alabama
“Lovely and historic, but with some quirks.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

This was our second stay at The Martha. The inn is lovely and overall a pleasure, but with some small annoyances. Our floor was lopsided due to age and the air conditioner did not work well. And although rooms have been mostly updated, there are still some outdated fixtures as well. That being said, the overall experience was good. The grounds are beautiful and the rockers on the porch are great. And, it is a short walk to antique stores, limited restaurants and (most important) the Barter Theater.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Depew, OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Enjoyed our stay, food and wine was excellent. We were charged $2 for a glass of water with our meal. Rooms were very nicely furnished, beds were comfortable. Free Port wine in the Library was a pleasant surprise. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
madison, alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Six friends who haven't seen each other in over 20 years chose the Martha Washington Inn as our place to stay for a girlfriends reunion in May. We had a blast. The hotel is beautiful, well maintained, inviting, and relaxing. The hotel is full of history, and the decor and grounds reflect the history. We enjoyed the Sisters restaurant as well. The food was delicious and reasonable. Every request we made of the hotel was taken care of...(wine glasses in room, ice, etc). The grounds are lovely and I wish the weather had been nicer so that we could use the jacuzzi. This is on my must do list of places to visit on a romantic weekend with my husband. I can't wait to come back. Very close ride to the Creeper Trail!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lisaland
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

An outstanding place to stay and relax. The room was beautifully decorated and accomodating. The bed and bedding were excellent and provided a good night's sleep. Everything was clean and well cared for. The rooms were up-to-date with modern amenities, flat screen TVs, comfortable furniture and internet access. The jacuzzi, pool and tennis court area behind the building was a great place to spend time with friends.

We attended a wedding, which was held on the Inn grounds with a reception in the Inn ballroom. The food was simply outstanding with plenty to eat and many different selections.

Tips to offer for people planning a stay at the Inn:

1.) Abingdon shuts down completely on Sundays and on Memorial Day. The Inn is about the only thing open in town on these days.

2.) The Inn's indoor pool is a warm, saltwater pool associated with the Inn's spa. It is not the most comfortable pool for kids or for cooling off.

3.) If you are a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room facing the front of the buidling. There is an active railroad line behind the Inn with a few trains running through the night. We closed the heavy drapes at night, and had no problems sleeping soundly.

4.) Abingdon has a number of interesting shops, restaurants and historical buildings. There is also a street fair on Saturdays in the summer and the Barter Theatre across the street from the Inn.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We stayed here for a family vacation. The drive was beautiful with the exception of the area where tornadoes just hit outside of abingdon--bless those people. The hotel is so charming. Staff wonderful to say the least. Sit out on the beautiful front porch. Our room had the Most comfortable bed ever. Rooms decorated with period antiques. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Flasharchibald
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

History, beauty, comfort. This place has it all. We weren't sure what to expect. The hotel is really old--dates back to the early 1800s. Used to be a finishing school for girls. It's located in the center of the historic downtown of Abingdon, VA. Within walking distance of restaurants. Helpful staff. Overall, it appears the restoration was fabulous. The public areas particularly were wonderful. We spent $300 a night (all lugs included) for a large, king bed room. Well appointed. Historic in appearance, but modern. The bathroom was very modern. The TV worked. The outdoor whirlpool was large and really nice. They have a nice indoor swimming pool. The restaurant was expensive and service slow. But it's beautiful and the food was good. The room was a little overpriced, and they slapped us with a $10-a-day resort fee that I didn't know about. A really shabby practice. But we'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the street.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

This is a long overdue review but I wanted to write one because I so enjoyed my time at this inn! I stayed at the Martha last summer after a visit with my mother, who lives in a town nearby and had been ill. Once I was sure she was ok, I had a few extra days before I needed to return home, so I decided to treat myself to a special vacation. It was a quieter time at the hotel because it was mid-week, and the manager let me see a couple of rooms that had just been renovated. He warned me there was a party that night and it might be noisy in that section of the inn, but I chose one there and was so happy with the room -- spacious even with a brand new king-size bed (which was very comfortable!), and a roomy bathroom and sink area (two separate rooms). The furniture is cozy (two easy chairs, and a desk and desk chair) and there was a flat-screen TV with many channels. Free WiFi also. The music from the party was faint (I heard only the bass thumping) and didn't bother me -- it didn't go too late. Otherwise the hotel was quiet and I slept very well. There IS a train that goes by right behind the hotel early in the morning, but to me it was a pleasant sound because I grew up with one near my house. The train whistle just makes me smile!

I had been to the hotel and spa before and really looked forward to this break. I so enjoyed the jacuzzi. It's set in a water-fall and rock landscaping and it's heavenly. The pool is also outdoors but enclosed so it can be used at all times of year, and it's a salt-water pool. No chlorine smell or feel on my skin and in my hair. I love it! I worked out in the lovely, glassed-in workout rooms and borrowed a bike (free!) for a ride around town. Even though it was hot, I was able to relax in the shade around the pool, on the decks that overlook the attractive grounds, and on the wide front porch cooled with ceiling fans. I had a nice selection of magazines in my room, and there is a library where you can borrow books (mostly by Southern authors) so I didn't even lack for reading material!

One night I had dinner in the main dining room and the service were gracious and attentive. Even though I was alone I didn't feel odd. I could also have eaten at the friendly and pleasant bar area adjacent to the dining room, or walked to several nearby restaurants. The town is small, quiet, and quite safe. If I'd wanted nightlife, the hotel has is a "cabaret" with music on the weekends and there are a couple of nice restaurant bars within walking distance.

The Martha can be expensive, but at that time the room rate included a full breakfast (no longer included, I've since learned), bikes to ride around town, that fabulous pool and whirlpool area, afternoon tea, port in the library each evening, very caring service, and overall peace and quiet. It was exactly what I needed. I had planned to stay two nights and ended up staying two more. A very memorable experience I hope to repeat soon.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Juliaz3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
#6 of 9 in Abingdon
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#9 of 9 in Abingdon

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!