“Wish I could have stayed longer!”

The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Fabulous hotel! I loved the antiques. The pool is wonderful. Had great amenities. Did not eat here but the dining room looked very nice and the food in the bar was good. The most comfortable bed I have slept in. Great location for exploring the town. Loved the hotel!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank neverstaysahome

Reviewed 26 July 2011

What a delightful way to spend a few days in Virginia. On my way back from New York via car my family and I stopped at The Martha. From the moment I drove up, gave my keys to the valet and was in my room in two minutes the stress of travelling was forgotten. If you value extraordinary hospitality, an unbelievable spa, gracious Southern manners and quality lodging then The Martha should be on your list of places not to miss. I was quite impressed with the improvements since my last visit, including a new tennis courts facility, an exercise facility with glassed in, open and light feel, a first class spa and my favorite, a very comfortable library to relax the day away. Clearly the owners of this fine resort have a special touch.

Room Tip: Pay up and get the suite, it's a bargain.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BobPrater
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Just got back from a two night stay with my wife. Beautiful place with great service.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at "the Martha" late last month, and we liked it very much. The front porch (or veranda, since we are in the South) was splendid. The rooms have been nicely renovated. The shower in the bathroom was very narrow, but there was a double shower head, nice tiles and upscale toiletries. As the title of this review suggests, the Martha is an historic property, which is very much our taste. It has been renovated with sensitivity. Service was prompt and friendly. The fitness center was outstanding, and the grounds were lovely. The port in the evenings in the library was a nice touch. I borrowed a book to read during my stay.

We paid $195.00 for two nights at the government rate. The Martha adds a $10.00 "resort fee" which I do not care for. Just give me the room rate and be done with it. I think the rate can be quite a bit higher on the weekends.

My only complaint was a disappointing dinner in the dining room. It was expensive, but ordinary. I had duck with ginger sauce. The dish was surprisingly tasteless. There was no ginger in the ginger sauce; it was just an overly sweet glaze. I am not a big food snob, but my wife is a great cook, and I have had better gourmet fare at home. The dining room also seemed short of waitstaff, which was surprising since there were plenty of staff available elsewhere. We had a much better meal at the Main House down the street the next night. The latter has a talented young chef, superb service, and inventive fresh dishes.

Abingdon is a surprisingly nice town for a visit. The Barter Theater is across the street. The Virginia Creeper Trail is five minutes from the hotel. There is a small, but very interesting Farmer's Market at the old train station on Saturdays with lots of organic produce, baked goods, cheeses, even homemade soaps. The town has the feel of an artsy sort of place in the middle of Appalachia. I would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This was our second stay at The Martha. The inn is lovely and overall a pleasure, but with some small annoyances. Our floor was lopsided due to age and the air conditioner did not work well. And although rooms have been mostly updated, there are still some outdated fixtures as well. That being said, the overall experience was good. The grounds are beautiful and the rockers on the porch are great. And, it is a short walk to antique stores, limited restaurants and (most important) the Barter Theater.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Enjoyed our stay, food and wine was excellent. We were charged $2 for a glass of water with our meal. Rooms were very nicely furnished, beds were comfortable. Free Port wine in the Library was a pleasant surprise. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Six friends who haven't seen each other in over 20 years chose the Martha Washington Inn as our place to stay for a girlfriends reunion in May. We had a blast. The hotel is beautiful, well maintained, inviting, and relaxing. The hotel is full of history, and the decor and grounds reflect the history. We enjoyed the Sisters restaurant as well. The food was delicious and reasonable. Every request we made of the hotel was taken care of...(wine glasses in room, ice, etc). The grounds are lovely and I wish the weather had been nicer so that we could use the jacuzzi. This is on my must do list of places to visit on a romantic weekend with my husband. I can't wait to come back. Very close ride to the Creeper Trail!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lisaland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!