“Never Disappointed!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Never Disappointed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

The Martha is always a welcomed getaway destination. My wife and I have enjoyed weekends and holidays at this wonderful inn. Every detail is flawless, from the beautiful end-of-summer grounds to my impeccable room. The only hiccup at all was that I could not find the remote. Within minutes of bringing this to their attention, housekeeping sent someone to seach my room. When no remote could be located, a different tellevision/remote were placed in my room. All of this took place in the time that it took me to stroll to the spa and schedule a massage. I spent most of the next day on the on my bike. Upon returning, I was wresting my bike back onto my car rack. A second set of hands appeared and pitched in to help. Because I was parked in a guest area, I assumed it was another guest/cyclist who understood. As I watched the person walk away, I realized it was a staff member; someone getting off from work, exhausted from a busy holiday weekend and still going the extra mile. Like I said...never disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CaptainBradleyJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Johnson City, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed at Martha Washington Inn, Rm 214, Garden Wing, check-in 9/1 and checkout 9/3.
First time stay, upon recommendation of co-workers.

- Pubic hair was present on inside of bathroom door upon check-in
- Long dark hair was present on underside of toilet seat upon check-in
- Only one coffee cup in room upon check-in
- One lampshade next to bed burnt by lightbulb some time ago, and not replaced
- One window shade was inoperable, stuck in the down position
- Complimentary in-room coffee and coffee cups were not replenished with AM room servicing
- Huffy and uncooperative attitude from housekeeping aide ("I cant. I've lost my key to the supplies closet.") when asked to replenish these
- Complimentary water was not replenished
- Complimentary snacks wer not replenished
- Rude and huffy service from bar server Lastin
- Manager Chance huffed and made a face before coming to our table to discuss Lastin's rudeness
- Breakfast should have been available AMs until 10. No coffee or fruit was available at 950 AM, and it was not replenished nor supplied. Rapid breakdown of the breakfast service began at 950 AM on 9/3. Several customers missed their expected breakfast and coffee.
- Discarded bottles and cups half filled with beer remained on porch - present on our check-in and not removed until 9/3 AM
- Large numbers of cigarette butts in porch ashtray from check-in to checkout
- My wife awoke 9/3 AM with four fresh insect bites not present upon retiring
- Leaves and butternuts were floating in outside hot tub the entire stay
- Checkin desk was not well signed…I got lost trying to find it after we parked in check-in area
- The US flag was disrespected by improper night lighting
- We were never asked about our degree of happiness with our stay, nor was a confidential written rating slip supplied...hence TripAdvisor and Yelp

Pros:
- Room and porch furnishings excellent and comfortable
- The very best setting – location of property, wonderful porch
- Food excellent quality and excellent restaurant service
- Excellently selections on wine list
- Very good exercise rooms
- Ample parking
- Great library
- Externally beautiful, grand, and tranquil

Overall, the value for the room, amenities and service was extremely far below what I expected, and far below the property’s reputation. It being a holiday is no excuse..a good hotel manager will anticipate and compensate. Because of the cons above, there is no way we could ever return to this property.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Mark D
ChristopherLowe, General Manager at The Martha Washington Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid comments about your stay. We value your comments and have covered these points with the appropriate managers.I know your time is very valuable but I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues personally please call me directly at 276-619-5260.

Christopher Lowe
Lenoir, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed at The Martha for two nights. It is a fine old hotel with all the charm you would expect. Our room was a Deluxe King for $250. We ate both evening meals at the hotel and they were very good - not truly outstanding, but very good. Breakfast on the other hand was incredible and reasonably priced. Grits may not make everyone's hit parade, but theirs are not to be missed! A regular American BF of eggs, bacon, grits and toast was about $13 which is pretty good for an upscale hotel.

Our bed was just so-so and the front desk wasn't particularly helpful about things to do. There was no directory of restaurants, bars, hours, etc. We were told what was available, but that's a lot of information to absorb while checking in and there is a lot in the hotel in addition to all the sights of Abingdon

Across the street from The Barter Theater, the hotel is convenient for almost every significant attraction. There are other choices including some great sounding B&B's, but for just being able to chill, enjoy the front porch and then the theater, I doubt there is a better deal. Valet parking is free - you can't beat that!

Room Tip: I found that talking to the reservation desk instead of booking on-line was more effective. We rece...
1 Thank Saltydog44
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Yes, the building is cool and historical. But if you want your car to be brought up from valet, you will need to do it yourself. If you want to take advantage of the "continental breakfast" then you had better be prepared to fight for position at the empty coffee pot. For $275 a night, you could own most of Abingdon, Virginia but the service at the "Martha" leaves a lot to be desired. We went there in advance of a big wedding where lots of $$ were being dropped and it didn't seem to matter. It's a small town where good help is hard to find. Don't expect to be "wowed" by first class service. Maybe by rural Virginia standards, but not by the real world standards.

Room Tip: For $275 a night you get a wall mounted AC unit. Set it before you go to sleep.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ChristopherLowe, General Manager at The Martha Washington Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
August 12 th 2012

Thank you for providing the feedback from your recent stay with us. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. We take guest feedback very seriously here and I am hopeful from the many positive recent reviews, you can be assured that your experience is not the standard here at The Martha Washington Hotel and Spa. I understand your time is very valuable but would welcome the opportunity to speak personally with you about your review. I can be reached directly at 276-619-5260.

Christopher Lowe
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Abingdon is not really on a top tourist route, unless you're driving along the Crooked Trail, but The Martha certainly warrants a stop -- might even be worth it as a destination! This stately home, turned women's college, turned hotel had TOP NOTCH service, absolutely beautiful rooms, terrific food at the on-site Sisters restaurant, and a lovely Southern veranda to relax on (they'll bring you a glass of wine or iced tea if you're in the mood). There's a beautiful spa, nice work out rooms, great looking tennis courts (wish we'd brought our racquets), and even transportation (and bikes, if needed) to ride the nearby Virginia Creeper trail....one of those awesome bike things for even non-bicyclists where they drop you off at the top of the trail and you meander down 17 miles, past beautiful streams, etc. Loved the whole experience at The Martha -- even better, it was during the Virginia Highland festival, so there was live music, wonderful art and crafts and fun people watching. It's a great place.

1 Thank sjbirder
Kings Mountain, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

We went to The Martha to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was a "significant" one and I wanted it to be special. And it was! From the time we arrived, everyone was gracious and responsive. Dinner reservations, theater tickets and anything else we wanted were handled quickly and efficiently. Over and above that, our breakfast waitress found out it was my wife's birthday and the next morning surprised her with a birthday cake she had baked and decorated on her own time. We bumped into the general mgr., talked briefly, and later had a surprise delivery of champagne to our room.

Our room, the spa, the dining, even the carriage ride were all excellent.

The Martha is first class and elegant, but beyond that the staff adds a touch of class. We won't wait for another special occasion to return.

1 Thank Jerry L
Morristown, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We went to Abingdon for a romantic get away and The Martha Washington Inn was perfect. Everyone that we interacted with from the valet, to check in, to our waitress in the reasturant were friendly and helpful and provided excellent service. We loved our junior suite room. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom modern and the sitting area very plush. We had a package that included a dinner and two breakfasts in The SIsters and every meal was delecious. My husband loved the salmon and my bone in rideye was one of the best I have ever tasted. Trish gave a wonderful deep tissue massage in the spa and the pool and hot tub topped off our restful get away. And if all that were not enough we saw Avenue Q at the Barter (also included in the package) and it was out of this world. Tremendous talent and a fun evening. We are all ready planninng to return as soon as our schdeules will allow.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheSuze12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Hampton Inn Abingdon
#6 of 9 in Abingdon
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#9 of 9 in Abingdon

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!