“Can't wait to return!”

The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My friends from college and I spent a weekend at The Martha two weeks ago. What an impressive place it is! As soon as I drove up the valet met me, loaded up my luggage and parked my car. I was greeted at the front desk by the sweetest, most polite young lady. As soon as I got in my room, my luggage was delivered. The room was great! It was clean and nicely decorated, the beds were comfy and I was thrilled to find a Kuerig. The next day we were able to utilize the spa and have massages and pedicures. The remainder of the afternoon was spent by the hot tub which is in the most peaceful, relaxing setting. After dinner, our group wanted to spend some more time together and the hotel kindly agreed to let us sit on one of the side porches to enjoy some wine and conversation. One of their great employees even made sure we had enough rockers to sit in. It was a magical weekend, with old friends and a lovely hotel to enjoy it in. I can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank D29621

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My friend and I (two senior single women) wanted a change of scenery for the week-end. Only Friday was available. There are no twin bedded rooms, so we shared a king. Suites are available with two queens, but out of out price range. The hotel was lovely with many beautifully appointed public rooms. Unfortunately, the elevator did not reach all floors. That was not a problem for us, as we are fit, but anyone making a reservation should be sure they get what they need.
We had a nice dinner in the Sisters' restaurant at a reasonable price. It was convenient to the theater just across the street. The hotel was also convenient to the wonderful Saturday farmers' market, just around the corner. We were lucky to be able to stay another night in Abingdon, due to a cancellation at the hotel, but we had to change to another, smaller, room. The staff was helpful in making the switch. However, the free wi-fi did not reach this room. To compensate for this deficiency, we could go sit on our private fourth floor porch and use the town's wi-fi. All in all, we were very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor require stair climbing and may not have wi-fi.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lizzy654
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in the two bedroom suite with my mom in a room down the hall (ours was in the garden wing on the first floor -- that means it was down one flight from the entrance). The rooms were clean, the beds were very comfortable and the suite worked out great for us (four -- with 2 boys, 17, and 11, who will not share a bed). The master bedroom had a king size bed and the second bedroom had 2 beds -- not sure if they were doubles or queens but they appeared large enough for two -- so you'd be able to sleep 4 if you had to -- if your kids would share! Each of the bedrooms and the sitting area had a flat screen tv. The chairs (4) plus foot stools were very comfortable in the seating area. There was also a Keurig coffee maker with free coffee and tea in the room. They had snacks (chips, oreos, granola bars) and bottled water free in the room. You could get more at the front desk along with sodas (coke products), additional coffee or ice. It was nice not to have to pay extra for these and made up for the need to walk to the front desk for them.

These are old buildings and I can see that there really wouldn't be a place for ice machines or sodas in convenient locations. Just pick up what you need on the way in so it isn't a problem...

There was only one bathroom in the suite, which was large. The down side was that the toilet was in the same room with the shower, bidet and sinks (2) rather than as is sometimes done, in a separate little closet. Note that the shower was huge. I jokingly suggested we all put on our bathing suits and hang out in there... there was a built in bench and definitely room to fit 4 or 5 people! The shower head was also nice in that it was not low-flow... it was oversized and worked very well. If you have young kids that only do baths this room would not work for you. Mine prefer a shower and both liked this one.

The rooms had luggage racks but you need to look for them -- they were in the closets, which were tucked in the corners of the room. If you don't look you might wonder where to put your suitcases.

There is free valet parking but they really encourage you to do it yourself... and when we realized parking was literally around the corner of the building it wasn't an issue... but when we first pulled up and they directed us to park despite the big "free valet parking" sign, we found it a bit off-putting. Realistically, it would take longer for them to park and for you to find someone to find your key and get your car than for you to drive it around the corner.

The breakfast is probably the weakest point. It is free. That said, it was almost invisible. Coffee or tea (which you can make in your room, with a better selection), a small carafe of juice, a small tray of pineapple (underripe), a small tray of melon, some grapes (looked like garnishes), a container of milk, dry cereal (I believe 1 choice), yogurt in a small bowl, and a small plate of small muffins. I don't really expect much from a continental breakfast but this looked more like a condiment station. We were a party of 4 and there were five tiny muffins on the plate -- and there were others coming in. I'm not saying they wouldn't restock the plates but we felt it would be rude to take more than 2 muffins total for our group...The problem was less that it was all cold items and more an issue of scale. Putting out a tray of regular muffins or even mini muffins (not a plate) would have made things better. Setting up on a table (something the size of a large folding table) rather than a small sideboard opposite the bar (muffins and fruit were on the sideboard with beverages and yogurt / cereal and milk on the small bar) would also have made it seem more substantial.

The maid service was excellent -- we ran into her in the hall and she was very accommodating as to timing for cleaning the room. She also saw that there were four of us and left extra Aveda toiletries in the room.

Plugs were sparse in the rooms -- again this is an older hotel built before we all had a dozen items to charge! I travel with a multiple outlet wall plug that also accommodates usb plugs. This has come in handy in older properties or in Europe where the number of plugs also seems limited.

The pool, hot tub and gardens looked really nice -- we walked through the gardens but did not have time to use the pool (24 hours, no lifeguard).

Location-wise, this is a fantastic property -- it is directly across from the Barter.

It is important to realize that this is an older building, which adds charm, so you aren't going to find the same number of outlets or some of the conveniences you'd find in a Day's Inn or Holiday Inn. The breakfast needs an overhaul, perhaps signs redone or the staff taught how to respond to guest requests (example: add a sign "parking around the corner" to the "free valet parking" and have the staff offer to carry your bag to the front desk (the stairs to the porch being the reason you'd consider valet parking -- so that the car isn't blocking the drive -- and an assurance or a sign saying 10 minute parking in the front --)) this would create the impression of service rather than disinterest. I never felt that the staff didn't want to help, just that they weren't really sure what would help.

Room Tip: There is a small elevator but there are slight changes in elevation (carpet to a few stairs, carpet...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MomfromMaryville
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I am late posting this review which I wrote back in April. My wife and I visited Abingdon in early April, 2014. We stayed at The Martha and attended a play at the smaller playhouse called the Barter Theater Stage II. We bought the theater package which included one night’s stay in the hotel, dinner in the hotel’s restaurant called Sister’s, play tickets and full breakfast in Sister’s, all for two people. The total price (for a weeknight) was $445 including tax and all tips.

We stayed in Room 305, which was a good sized room with a king bed, a sofa and chairs, and a good sized bath. All the furnishings were “period” furnishings. The linens were high quality and clean, as was the entire room. The room was attractive and beautifully decorated. The floor was hardwood, the bath was tiled to look like travertine, with a double sink and a walk-in tiled shower. The low-flow showerhead was awful, and I forgot to bring a non-restricted flow showerhead with me like I usually do. In addition to the low-flow restrictor, it leaked terribly, and was too high for my 5'7" wife to reach, so I had to adjust it for her, although I couldn’t stop the leaking around the swivel socket. It was cool outside (around 35 degrees at night), but the windows were painted shut and covered by interior storm windows, so the split system under-window HVAC unit was the only way to cool down the room. The fan worked fine, but the compressor stopped compressing after a few minutes, so it was of no use, and the fan just blew out warm air from inside the room. The showerhead and a lousy air conditioner were our only complaints about the hotel.

Normally the theater package includes a “superior” room with a queen bed. We asked for a king when we booked the room, and were granted one. The king rooms are upgraded “deluxe” rooms which normally cost more than superior rooms, so we were fortunate to get the upgrade at no increase in the package rate. Business was slow in April, so it may be difficult to get the upgrade when they are busier. At any rate, our room was very nice, and I recommend asking for one of the king rooms.

In April, the sidewalks roll up at dark - at least during the week - and even the bar in “The Martha” closed at 9:00 on the weeknight we were there. We had failed to bring any booze with us, so we could not get a drink after the play (which was over just after 9:00 PM). No alcohol is served at the theater at all.

The hotel and the grounds are beautiful. There have been some recent changes to accommodate a new spa or something. Apparently, there was another restaurant and bar located below the lobby until this year that is no longer there.

The food in Sister’s was OK, but nothing to write home about. The menu choices for folks like us who were on the package plan were adequate. I don’t think there was another menu for non-package people, so everyone is equal there. The wine list was pretty limited, and they do not allow customers to bring their own - even with a corkage fee.

The play we saw was “Don’t Cry for Me, Margaret Mitchell,” a comedy that lasted about 100 minutes, including the intermission. I’m not much of a theater guy, but it was funny (and clean), and I didn’t fall asleep like I usually do.... The theater is a five minute walk from the hotel. Don’t be late for the theater like we were! We were 3 or 4 minutes late (due to slow service in the hotel’s Sisters’ Restaurant), and the play was already underway.

If you have time on your visit, hike or bike some or all to the Virginia Creeper Trail, which starts in Abbingdon, not far from The Martha. A road trip to White’s Mill, which was recommended to us, was not worth the 10 mile round-trip drive. There is an old non-operating mill there, and an old country store. Both were closed at noon on a Wednesday when we arrived.

All in all, we had a great time, and would definitely return to The Martha, but would probably eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a King room. Room 305 was nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 275GTB4
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our room wasn't much like the photos - it was small with no sitting area. The bed and bath were clean enough but everything else about the room seemed tired and in need of updating. The staff were unfriendly and lacking in manners and attentiveness - with the exception of the bartenders in the restaurant. We chose to eat at the bar because they were friendly and efficient. The dinner was good but the breakfast wasn't.

It is a shame that the hotel isn't fabulous because it sure has the potential. It is a grand and interesting building.

Room Tip: The room was quiet but there is a train in the area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rhon s
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived at Wednesday night and were accused by the foul odor of a redneck's cigar, which he was proudly smoking on the veranda, just feet from the entrance. When I suggested he indulge in his habit elsewhere his response was something I will not repeat, but he and his equally low rent companions were apparently comfortable spewing two kinds of filth in front of my 6 year old. If the state of Virginia is not enlightened enough to prohibit smoking within 25 feet of the entrances to places of public accommodation (like the entire West Coast) the owners would do well to consider the comfort of ALL their guests and prohibit it. Naturally there was no one at the front desk to speak with about this.
Our room was cramped and overstuffed. The two beds were advertised as "doubles" but were no larger than a full. There were four lamps in the room, one of which did not work and all of which had bulbs so dim that I required my iPhone flashlight to read by. We needed to unplug them all anyway to plug in our phones as there were not enough outlets to accommodate modern travelers. The bathroom lacked a tub and was small and poorly lit. There is NO counter space in the bathroom and very little space in the bedroom to unpack. The property and interior of the Inn are lovely and well maintained, but for the price, modern conveniences, space to unpack and the absence of smoking should be a given.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Labmom_12
ChristopherLowe, General Manager at The Martha Washington Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us with the experience of your stay. After reading your review we realized you are exactly right. We are converting the entire property to non smoking. Thank you for pointing this out and making us aware how we can do more for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back our your next trip through town.

Christopher Lowe

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Had heard so many nice thing about the Martha Washington Hotel and Spa that we treated ourselves before heading to volunteer at the RAM project in Wise, Virginia. Everything could not have been nicer from the start of staff being incredible with helping make suggestions making the reservation, enjoying the hotel with a very lovely room and decorating throughout, to staff very helpful throughout the stay and a treat of breakfast. The location was perfect to explore Abingdon with its treasures and enjoying Barter Theater right next door as well as the Virginia Creeper close by.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff when making reservations. There is a newly renovated section.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Abingdon
2 mi away
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 10 in Abingdon

Been to The Martha Washington Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!