“Happily surprised :)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Comfort Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Abingdon
“Happily surprised :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Husbands occupation brought him here for one day. Stopped here for a one night stay. Friendly staff. Abingdon in general is a nice town. Really. I had a fender bender while there (they hit me) , and my car later would not start because of no gas, all that and I still rate this trip highly. The Highlands festival was going on, and that was awesome! I had never heard of Abingdon prior to this trip, and now it just might be on a yearly visit list. Comfort Inn was comfortable and the breakfast is complimentary. Use your AAA discount if you have it (possible $10 off the lowest nightly rate). For the price and the service it was good experience.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Maryville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Just returned from a weekend get away with my husband. My husband is a commercial construction superintendent and his current job site is in Charleston, WV. We decided to meet @ this location since it was an easy drive for me when I got off work in Knoxville, TN. The property itself is very nice. This is an older property that has been refurbished, and the quality of the work shows throughout the property. Upon entering the front door there is a roomy breakfast area that has plenty of seating. Breakfast is the usual...fresh made waffles, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cereal, juice, donuts, etc... The property is only 2 stories, but there is no elevator. If you have an issue with climbing stairs, you should request a 1st floor room. There is an outdoor pool which we did not use, but it appeared to have plenty of seating and a few tables on the deck. The halls have all been freshly painted and the carpet is brand new. I saw one washer and dryer for guest use @ one of the side entrance areas. My husband and I had a King-sized room...#130. The windows overlook Interstate 81. If you do not plan to run the a/c, fan, or heat continuously, this side of the building my not be for you. Even with the air unit running continuously, I was still able to hear some of the noise from the interstate. Our room had been freshly painted and the carpet was new. I did not notice any odors. There was a King-sized bed, a chair, a desk with desk chair, but no sofa/sofa bed in this room. This room was definitely set up for only 2 guests. The bed and linens were comfortable. There was a flat screen tv, mini fridge and microwave in the room. The bathroom was clean. The shower/tub appeared to be a little dated---a fiberglass type unit you would have in your home, but it was clean.

Now to the staff....I don't think I have ever stayed @ any Choice hotel where the staff was so rude. My husband was the 1st to arrive @ the property. Upon arrival, my husband asked the clerk for a late check-out on Sunday. The clerk, a gentleman by the name of Rick, informed my husband that he would have to check back at a later time but it would probably would not be possible because the hotel was full due to the Virginia Highlands Festival. Later on Friday evening, my husband approached Rick about an extra pillow, but was rudely informed that he was too busy to get a pillow for him because guests were checking in. The next day (Saturday) my husband again asked Rick about a late check out on Sunday. Rick rudely informed him that he had already told him that he would have to check back with the clerk on Sunday morning during breakfast. While my husband was looking thru some tourist information near the front desk, he overheard Rick tell another guest that the only restaurant near this hotel was McDonalds, which was not true. The choices of restaurants @ this location are limited, but I counted at least 3 restaurants and he overheard Rick tell another guest that she could only have 2 extra towels when she asked for 4 towels. On Sunday morning, my husband got up and dressed and went to the front desk to speak with the clerk about a late check out. The clerk informed my husband that the latest we could check out was 11:30am...a whole 30 minutes past the regular check out time. My husband informed the clerk that he was a Choice Rewards member and that a late check out is one of the perks of membership, but I guess this is not the case for this particular hotel. The staff really made little effort to make their guests feel welcome and this is very sad since it is truly a nice property. I would stay here again because I feel the property is a good choice for the money, but I hope the staff gets some improvements in their attitudes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank angi1968
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stopped here in route to visit family up north. New furnishings. Room was very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Check in was efficient. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank karentljt
Laurel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed here on a trip to Tennessee--both coming and going. Fine, responsive staff, clean rooms, comfortable bedding. Plentiful breakfast, but not for folks on a low-carb diet. During our two stays, eggs were available, but no meat. No elevator, so make sure you ask for a first-floor room when making a reservation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura W
Collinsville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here during a visit with family in Kingsport, TN and Lebanon, VA. Great location off the interstate. Excellent check-in service with friendly, cheerful staff. Good breakfast with excellent replenishment, clean rooms. The only negative was they didn't have an elevator to the 2nd floor. This made it difficult for my aging parents, since 1st floor rooms were occupied.

Room Tip: If you have limitations to walk up the steps, plan to stay on the first floor. No elevator in the h...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Salem, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed here during a visit to Abingdon. This Comfort Inn has been updated and the lobby and rooms are very attractive. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was just OK but everything else was above average. Very friendly and helpful front staff. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have stayed at this Comfort Inn many times during my many trips from Washington DC to Nashville, TN. During a recent trip one of my kids became ill and we had to stop before we could get to the hotel. The Manager at the hotel was very understanding and aloud us to cancel our reservation and refunded our money. We were able to stay at a Comfort Inn in Christiansburg and were not forced to continue our trip to not lose our money. We will definitely be staying at the Comfort Inn in Abingdon for many more trips to come! The rooms are always clean, it is close to the interstate, and the service cannot be beat!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#9 of 9 in Abingdon
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!