“Excellent place to stay”

Hampton Inn Abingdon
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 23 January 2008

We stayed at this hotel the night of the 18th of January, 2008. We did not have prior reservations and got in after midnight. They gave us a great deal - $60 for the three of us. The desk clerk was pleasant and helpful, and we were in our room very quickly. The room was on the ground floor - spacious, clean, and with nice bedding (none of those horrible polyester bedspreads; we had white cotton coverlets.) It was very quiet, and the heater was one of those that runs the fan continuously, so that there is a nice "hum" of white noise. The hot breakfast runs till 10:00 in the morning, which was great because we got in so late. They even gave us "on-the-go" sack breakfasts for the trip, complete with a water bottle, an apple, a muffin, and breakfast bars.
Someone else's review mentioned that there was a renovation going on, however, that must be complete; we saw no sign of it. My only complaint is that they do not accept pets; fortunately we did not take our dog on this trip. Otherwise, I highly recommend this hotel!

• Liked — clean, classy, quiet, free internet
  • Disliked — no pets
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
nj
Reviewed 22 August 2007

This family of four stayed there for one night in August 2007. Our room & bathroom were very clean and a nice size (we had 2 Q beds in the room). Noise from the highway was not an issue at all for us (3rd floor room, hotel only has 3 floors). Also, the free wi-fi was nice! The pool was very re-freshing after a long time in the car and the only downside was having to ask for towels at the front desk, rather than being readily available outside.

The included breakfast seemed like it had a good quantity / selection of food: eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy, fresh fruit salad, bagels, toast, pastries, etc ...

All in all, we had a really nice overnight stay at this hotel and would definitely not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — location (easy access to I-81), it was clean!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 7 April 2007

The downsides:
1. The hotel is in the midst of a renovation. The second day they placed plastic sheets over the windows so it was impossible to see out and I was anxious to look out since snow showers were predicted. This is the third Hampton I've stayed at in the midst of a renovation. There was some jackhammering going on the first day by the pool.
2. The hotel is located on an access road by the interstate. You're at someone's mercy to let you out onto a main surface street & once you're lucky enough to get out, the light holds on red forever.

The pluses:
1. The continental breakfast hostess must be 90 and is a total sweetie, southern lady.
2. Rooms are clean.

Recommend that you go an exit south for Comfort Suites or an exit north for Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank labmama
Roanoke VA
Reviewed 15 February 2007

What wonderful pillows, something I always pay attention to with my bad back. They offered soft and firm pillows as well as a great bed. It seemed like our room had recently been refurbished; it was very nice and had a large bathroom. Very quiet if you get a room away from the highway. The hotel is away from the central part of town, but takes only 5 minutes to get there.

• Liked — pillows and bed
  • Disliked — traffic light near driveway
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cart54
Virginia
Reviewed 11 October 2006

I have travelled to this hotel many many times on business trips. This time I decided to take my girl friend and book it on a weekend for the changing leaf colors and Mountain bike trip on the creeper trail.

Susan and staff make this a homey little hotel with a great breakfast served by three elderly sisters.

My only complaint on this hotel is the highway noise - arghhhhhhhh

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Highway noise
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank a1scuba
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2006

I thought this place was great. The room was big, the bed comfortable and I just loved the whirlpool (especially after riding the Virginia Creeper Trail). The staff was friendly and very helpful.

About the only issue (and it's minor) that I had was that the hotel is located near a funky traffic light and there was almost always a few minutes wait to get out. Like I said, it's minor and I will be staying here again in October.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank OrbeaRider66
Central PA
Reviewed 2 May 2006

I stay at Hampton Inns all over the east coast and this one needs improvement.

Yes, the sisters at the breakfast are great and work hard but the rest of the hotel needs work. The halls were very noisy with young adults running up and down thru the hall. There was a basketball tourneyment in the area and the teams staying at the hotel made noise until late in the night. A call to the front desk did not help.

The room was neat but could use cleaning in the corners and the bedspread was soiled. The A/C cover came off in my hand when I adjusted the A/C.

The elevator is noisy and jerks when it stops.

As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member I expected better service and my room preference was not honored. I was told by the front desk person too bad we are sold out.

I would not stay here again the Ft Chiswell Hampton Inn 80 miles north on 81 is a wonderful hotel that is worth traveling the extra miles to reach.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank Joe T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Hampton Inn Abingdon? Share your experiences!